Talk

Advanced search

Previous cs, midwife or consultant led care?

(21 Posts)
Emma2803 Sat 20-May-17 21:06:49

Hi all, just wondering if everyone who has has a c section is consultant led for subsequent antenatal care? I had thought this was the case but I'm almost 8 weeks with dc2 following and emcs with dc1 and my letter for booking appointment indicates midwife led clinic.
I don't mind and would actually prefer to see rhetoric midwives I think, I'm am leaning towards a vbac if I possibly can.

Emma2803 Sat 20-May-17 21:07:35

*the midwives

DuggeeHugs Sat 20-May-17 21:26:07

EMCS with DC1, consultant led this time. I was still offered the midwife choices clinic though and see my community midwife as normal.

Twodogsandahooch Sat 20-May-17 21:30:14

I had Consultant led care but all my antenatal appointments were still with my midwife. I only had one meeting with a doctor to discuss VBAC vs ELCS. (I cried and begged for the latter).

Twodogsandahooch Sat 20-May-17 21:32:06

Duggee - I was offered a birth options appointment, but they couldn't fit me in til I was 37 weeks! The lady on the desk didn't get why I thought this might be a little too late.

jellyandsoup Sat 20-May-17 21:39:43

At our hospital you would see be consultant led care. You would still have normal midwife appointments but would deliver on the consultant led ward. If things go smoothly then the doctors may not actually be involved as the midwife would look after you.

DuggeeHugs Sat 20-May-17 21:39:48

Twodogs 37 weeks?! That's ridiculous! Have you been booked in for a CS now?

Emma2803 Sat 20-May-17 22:17:14

I wonder why it isn't in my letter that I would be consultant led, perhaps they will change me after my booking in appointment? I suppose it is early days still!

DuggeeHugs Sat 20-May-17 22:39:42

Emma it may be your midwife who makes that decision at booking in, that's what happened for me. She remembered my last time and made the referral straightaway. Are you seeing the same midwife again?

babypeach Sat 20-May-17 22:48:42

Midwives will nearly always do the booking in which is where your care pathway will be decided once the mw has taken your full history. Generally though after section you will be officially consultant care led but as others have said depending on your history you may go for a vbac and be under care of midwife during birth if you want this and all remains normal. Your. Midwife will have that discussion with you but that may not be until later on.

Emma2803 Sat 20-May-17 22:56:41

No I'm not Duggee Ive now moved jobs since last time I was pregnant and my new job is based next door to a different antenatal department but in the same hospital trust so going to go there instead.
I wasn't terribly fused on my old midwife to be honest!

DuggeeHugs Sat 20-May-17 23:09:06

Emma probably a good thing having a new midwife then! Hope all goes well at booking in smile

ChocolateHelps Sat 20-May-17 23:16:58

ELCS with first baby. VBAC booked with community midwives for 2nd baby and was actually booked for home birth but v v overdue (16 days) did have her in hospital and all went really well. Had a fab 'birth day'.

ivytable Sun 21-May-17 08:08:21

ELCS with first baby. First appointment with second baby with a midwife who then referred to consultant, all other appts with consultant and community midwives

MissShittyBennet Sun 21-May-17 13:49:14

Pretty much everyone is with the midwife for the very first appointment, I thought?

I know VBAC doesn't necessarily preclude you from being midwife led for the birth, if that's what you want and you're otherwise low risk. You may be advised against OOH birth, but loads of women do it in hospital MLUs and even CLUs with midwives.

EdgarAllenPoe Tue 23-May-17 11:14:14

I booked in with the midwife, who then referred me to the consultant based on what I told her (previous emcs, macrosomia). Since booking in is basically a form-filling exercise, there's not a lot of point seeing the consultant for it. I'm still seeing midwife for my regular appointments, on top of a few consultant appointments for this specific issue (how I will give birth - pregnancy itself is fine).

hopsalong Wed 24-May-17 07:26:52

I was consultant-led this time but didn't see the consultant herself until after the 20 week scan. I think the consultants are very busy/ time more valuable, so you will only see midwives until a) clear that all OK with pregnancy and progressing normally, b) you actually have to make a choice about what kind of birth is best.

By the end I was still seeing both the VBAC midwife (didn't work out but was really glad to try!) and the consultant, and thought it was the best of both worlds. They won't forget you!

mammaofjoelandunbornboy Wed 24-May-17 15:10:13

I had emcs with 1st baby, and under consultant this time with baby no 2 but still see comm midwife for regular appointments xx

willymcwill Tue 06-Jun-17 16:37:54

The midwives will do your booking in appointment and make an assessment as to 'risk' and then put you as either midwife-led or consultant-led. In my area the only difference between the two is an initial meeting with the consultant as 30+ weeks..., so you could end up being low risk and being able to deliver at a MLU.

fluffandsnuff Tue 06-Jun-17 17:03:51

Had ELCS with DC1. I'm supposedly consultant led but I'm 35 weeks and haven't seen a consultant the whole way through- although have been to birth options. Only differences seems to be that I have to give birth in hospital rather than midwife led unit or at home. Trying for VBAC this time.

Emma2803 Tue 06-Jun-17 20:08:57

Hi all, so I saw the midwife yesterday, the gp forgot to put on my referral letter that I'd had a previous cs so I have now been referred to the consultant, should sew her in three weeks or so. They said all my hospital based appointments will be with the consultant and I will see the midwife for community based appointment. Have requested the consultant who delivered my son as she was lovely so hopefully I will get her. If not the other consultant I also am familiar with as she did my ECV so am happy enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now