Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing music that isn't too out there or airy fairy

(7 Posts)
Summertime10 Sat 20-May-17 14:39:05

Hi, I'm currently 25 weeks with baby no 3 and failing to get into hypnobirthing confused I successfully did hypnobirthing with baby number 2 and it was a lovely experience so I'm keen to repeat it for this baby. My problem this time is I'm really struggling to get into any kind of music that has a voice saying (what I feel are) silly things that are a bit out there. Instructions such as 3 2 1 relax or counting would be fine for me but I'm finding I really can't relax when listening to prompts that seem a little silly and out there.
I'm currently trying and failing to get into Sophie Fletcher's mindful mamma mp3s and would love a recommendation for some birth music that is no nonsense and quite to the point.
I really don't know what's wrong with me, I listened to Marie Mongan last time and it didn't bother me but this time I'm feeling so much more uptight and less able to relax.

Hoping somebody can offer some words of advice.

annlee3817 Sat 20-May-17 22:34:43

I did the Maggie Howell hypnobirthing Cd and book in the lead up. During labour they had Enya playing in the room I was in, and I really liked it.

Quodlibet Sat 20-May-17 22:36:35

I totally get where you are coming from and experienced the same drop in tolerance for windchimy bollocks music in my second pregnancy! There's a definite gap in the market for better hypnobirth music.

Sunshinie Sun 21-May-17 07:56:16

I've downloaded an album called river Dawn which is just piano music. It's in the background of the Katherine Graves cds and what our midwife used on the hypnobirthing course we did. I find it nice to just listen to though, no wind chimes or whales!

OtterSpace Wed 31-May-17 14:49:07

I'm putting together playlists for my second birth at the moment. I used Katherine Graves hypnobirthing very successfully with my first child and I didn't use any 'typical' hypnobirthing music on the day.

"Devi Prayer" from 108 Sacred Names of Mother Divine - Sacred Chants of Devi (by Craig Pruess & Ananda) is nice - a bit airy fairy but I found it through my antenatal yoga teacher who uses it for a meditation session at the end and it is very relaxing. It is in sanskrit so although it has meaning it's not distracting. The translation is along the lines of a prayer to the Devine Mother/Mother Earth which although I am religious in no way at all I find very empowering!

I like ambient house/electronic music otherwise - try Ulrich Schnauss (great album: Far Away Trains Passing By. Played on guests arrival at our wedding and even my granny liked it!), or bands like The XX.

I found music from our wedding playlist put me in the right sort of mood. This time around I'm planning two playlists - a more energising one for early stages to move around and dance to, and relaxing music for active labour.

Hope this helps!

Summertime10 Wed 31-May-17 22:05:58

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll look those links up and try to get my own play list together.

justyourstandardusername Thu 01-Jun-17 21:06:12

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party OP but try London Grammar. They have a couple of albums that I love listening to to chill me out (I've never given birth) so should help you out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now