Talk

Advanced search

Epidural

(10 Posts)
Rosebud36 Thu 18-May-17 22:45:44

Experiences with epidurals please!smile

guineapig1 Fri 19-May-17 07:47:35

I was very reluctant to have an epidural but was told I needed one at 9 cm due to contractions slowing down and baby being "stuck". By that time i had been in labour for over 30 hours into a back to back labour and was exhausted. I would have agreed to anything tbh. The epidural was magic! Once it was in place (which I barely felt in the grand scheme of things) I felt instant relief. I could feel my toes and was able to push and although it did end up as a forceps delivery I am confident that was due to the baby's position as they couldn't turn properly with the cord round their neck.

With dc2 (another back to back labour) i asked for one as soon as I got to the hospital as i was 6cm by that point. Again felt a similar relief and could feel the contractions to push - dc2 was born without any other intervention.

I had no long lasting side effects either time and was up and showering within a couple of hours both times.

Hoppinggreen Fri 19-May-17 07:49:44

Mine was lovely
Did have one with DD as was determined to do it naturally ( ffs why?)
But then had one for placenta removal anyway!!
Had one with DS and I just chilled out and read/ listened to music during most of Labour, then pushed twice and there he was. I walked to the shower a couple of hours later and had no ill effects

FenellaMaxwellsPony Fri 19-May-17 07:51:37

Like guineapig I was reluctant and only had one after being told I needed it. It was BRILLIANT! If I have any more DC, I will 100% be having another!!

NSEA Fri 19-May-17 07:56:04

I was induced and kept refusing to have the epidural as a previous c section had taken 45 minutes for the spinal block to be done. I just didn't want to do that again ever, especially through contractions. But being induced is very painful very quickly and after 12 hours I succumbed. It took about 15 seconds to be done and I had immediate relief.

Ended up with a forceps delivery because baby got stuck. Not sure if due to epidural but midwives think he brought his arm up with him.

AppleMagic Fri 19-May-17 07:58:48

I had one with my first but didn't get the chance with dc2 and dc3 as they arrived too quickly. Would definitely recommend. Could also feel to push, the contractions were just pressure instead of pain. I didn't need a catheter and was able to walk pretty much immediately after birth for a shower. It was a lovely, calm relaxed birth.

hickorydickorynurseryrhyme Fri 19-May-17 08:01:02

The worst thing about the Epi for me was the Canula in the hand that was more painful. Didn't really feel the needle in the back. It's nothing compared with labour pains.

RestingBitch Fri 19-May-17 08:08:03

I had one (by choice) and it was the best decision. Baby was back to back and I'd been in labour with him for about a day. Every time I had a contraction I would vomit, so the epidural allowed me to sleep and actually have a drink without throwing everything up 5 mins later.

It has to be administered by an anithetist so it may take a while for them to get you sorted if the hospital is busy.

My legs felt abit funny after the birth - but it took a few hours to wear off.

You can control how much of the drug you use, so you can still feel the process of pushing the baby out, but if the pain gets too much you can administer some more drugs.
Once they had done the epidural, they basically allowed the labour to develop at its own pace. My waters didn't break - so they eventually broke them. So I didn't have my baby till the Monday morning (epidural done Sunday evening)

My sons now 9 months and I've had no adverse side effects.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again. Don't feel like you need to rule it out. Some hospitals allow you to walk around with it, some (like mine) don't, so it may be worth finding out there policies. Personally I was happy to sleep so walking around was right at the bottom of stuff I wanted to do grin. I'm also sure your not allowed to have a water birth with one in.

kshaw Fri 19-May-17 08:10:51

I was so reluctant to have it but 6 hours after being induced when my contractions were coming in too fast I asked for one. I honestly couldn't have done anything better, it was amazing! I had a nap! Reduced pains that were making me vomit they were that bad to a mere period pain/ache. Also, pushing out baby was one of hardest physical thing I've ever done, can't imagine having the pain on top of that!

babynelly2010 Fri 19-May-17 13:01:30

I had 3 labours. One nice water birth, one traumatic birthing unit birth and one with epidural. It was heaven once I had it at about 6 cm. I did end up with c section due to baby's position and not wanting forceps. I honestly don't know why I got talked out of having one in previous births. It was very nice humane experience even though it was an emcs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now