Talk

Advanced search

False Labour

(16 Posts)
RiceButt Wed 17-May-17 10:01:41

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing false labour or not. A quick Google indicates I am.

Sunday afternoon I started to lose my mucus plug, this continued until Monday morning when I also had a bloody show. Had a sweep yesterday afternoon; cervix is 1-2cm dilated, soft and short.

First contraction started at 11:30pm last night and woke me up every half an hour or so until 1am. At this point I started timing the contractions. They were occurring every 7-12 minutes, lasting for 45-60 seconds, a few were intense, but nothing I couldn't breathe and grimace through. I got up at 5am, had a couple more contractions then nothing until about 9am.

Im so tired and frustrated. If this is false labour I'm going to be knackered by the time real labour starts.

Please tell your false labour coping techniques as I'm close to tears in frustration angry

PretendingToBeAMuggle Wed 17-May-17 10:21:22

I'm not really in a position to help rice I'm afraid as I've never given birth. However am 35 weeks and so have looked up the difference between braxton hicks and true contractions and the main difference seems to be the regularity and increase in intensity with contractions. It sounds to me like you could be in early labour. Could you ring your midwives to discuss?

polkadotpolarbear Wed 17-May-17 12:43:41

Going through the similar today! Lost MP at the weekend. Had period type pains for last few days. Had pains lasting 30-50secs for 1.5hrs this morning then stopped for half an hour and started again. I'm having a lie down while my toddler naps and they've stopped again  I'm 37 weeks and am having an ELCS as baby is breech. Don't know whether to ring midwife or whether this is false labour. I was induced last time so have no idea of what is normal!

P1nkSparkles Wed 17-May-17 12:57:18

This sounds like my early labour to me.... Although hate to tell you this - but I had this for 6 days with Dd before they finally took me in and induced me and that was only because I had a midwife appt and my blood pressure was through the roof.

If it helps - you sort of learn to deal with it (although I was exhausted) and my actual labour itself wasn't too bad.

Fingers crossed it won't be that long for you OP - good luck.

RiceButt Wed 17-May-17 16:59:43

Argh, I really must stop Googling. There is so much conflicting advice.

I'm convinced these are irregular contractions and not Braxton Hicks, the pain comes in waves, builds to a peak and then subsides, its just that they are all over the place with no regularity and walking and moving position does not ease the pain sad.

Fingers crossed I progress to proper labour soon!

Funnyonion17 Wed 17-May-17 17:05:44

Unless it's painful like bad stomach cramps or very painful tightening then it's probably braxton Hicks. bH can be strong but don't really hurt

Michaelsone1 Wed 17-May-17 22:49:09

In the same boat atm. It sounds to me like slow labour, not false labour just slow and very early labour. I am 41 weeks and have had my 3rd sweep today, midwife said I'm 3cm. I've had braxton hicks for months and did with my first but they've never actually hurt until a few days ago after my second sweep. Midwife said it is early labour so I'm taking that these 'braxton hicks' that make my stomach go solid as a rock but now give me a period type cramp in my back and legs are very early labour contractions. It's not pleasant but I can get through it pretty okay and haven't taken anything for it. Mine are all over the place too, peak and come regularly and then disappear for hours. It's frustrating because I am worried I will keep dilating and coping as I am now until I suddenly need to push or something!

If they are making you tired and you want to save energy have you thought of taking pain killers or anything?

Keen to see updates from you! smile

RiceButt Fri 19-May-17 08:06:35

@Michaelsone1 how are things progressing for you?

I gave in last night after one hour of contractions averaging every 4mins 30 secs and called labour ward. I went in and was assessed to find I'm 3cm dilated, so I have dilated further since my sweep.

Im back home now and contractions are irregular again. Decided to have epidural once in active labour just so I can rest after so little sleep since Tuesday, but will give gas an air a go first smile.

Apocalyptichorsewoman Sat 20-May-17 07:48:45

Oh RiceButt - sounds like things are gathering momentum for you - Good Luck!

Cel982 Sat 20-May-17 08:01:11

Nothing false about it, RiceButt - just early labour, which can drag on for days unfortunately, but it sounds like things are progressing now. Good luck!

Polka, if you're scheduled for a section for breech I'd probably let the midwife know that things seem to be happening! They won't want you getting into established labour if that's the plan, and since it's not your first it might all happen sooner than expected....

RiceButt Sat 20-May-17 08:58:35

Just a quick update. Returned to hospital yesterday morning to find I was 6cm dilated. Baby RiceButt was born at 22:41 last night. So wasn't false labour, just a really long and painful early labour.

PretendingToBeAMuggle Sat 20-May-17 09:18:37

Hooray!!! Congratulations!!!

P1nkSparkles Sat 20-May-17 09:43:02

Congratulations!!

Michaelsone1 Sat 20-May-17 17:33:16

Congrats ricebutt!! I had my little guy yesterday too after waking up at 5:30am with contractions, he was born at 7:44am! Weighing nearly 10 pound as well after I kept telling the midwife he was huge and them saying I was silly etc!!

Cel982 Sat 20-May-17 18:13:38

Congrats Rice and Michael, great news!! I'm 40+5 here on #2, convinced tonight will be the night but that's probably all wishful thinking. Had some cramps this afternoon but all seems to have settled for now...

Michaelsone1 Sat 20-May-17 19:15:28

You never know Cel, tonight could be the night. I read online on Thursday that crawling around on all 4's has put some women into labor, being desperate to move things along I tried it for about 15 minutes and maybe that's what did the trick! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now