Talk

Advanced search

Placenta

(17 Posts)
8LUCie Mon 15-May-17 14:42:49

Hi everyone I'm 21 and really nervous about giving birth this is my first baby and I had a discussion with my midwife last week at 34 weeks and she has asked if I want the injections 'syntozino' and 'syntometarine' now people I have spoken to have not heard of these before and she told me that this was basically an injection given to me straight after the baby is born to help the placenta come out quicker and to help with any heavy bleeding after birth. I don't have a clue if I should have this injection or if I should just let it come out naturally. Has anyone else been offered this at all? Thank you smile

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 15-May-17 15:03:42

Less chance of heavy bleeding and tbh you won't even notice them giving you it as you will be holding your baby!!
Anything that helps for a quicker recovery can't be knocked!!

Spam88 Mon 15-May-17 16:19:54

Far more common for people to have the injection than to not have it. My understanding is that they inject you, it takes 5-10 minutes for the placenta to detach and then the midwife will pull it out. The injection reduces bleeding so lowers your risk of haemorrhage.

If you opt not to have the injection then it can take up to around an hour for the placenta to detach naturally and you then push it out.

pickletoots Tue 16-May-17 00:21:52

I gave birth 3 weeks ago and they gave me 30mins to try and deliver the placenta naturally. As it didn't come they gave me the injection. I had no side effects and I think the evidence is that it can reduce bleeding. I was more than happy to have the injection.

Cakescakescakes Tue 16-May-17 00:23:28

Most people have this - pretty standard.

furryelephant Tue 16-May-17 00:27:51

I'd guess that they're the brand name type thing of an oxytocin injection, think it's usually known as syntocinon. From what I've read it's much more common to have the injection than to not. I did, just wanted it all over and done with and everything out of me that needed to be grin

Sauvignonblanket Tue 16-May-17 08:18:20

I had the injection both times and it was just as spam88 said - with everything else going on I didn't notice any pain if there was any and it helped me that that stage was over quite quickly and I could move on to focussing on the baby. I would opt for it again if there was going to be another baby too.

BringMeTea123 Tue 16-May-17 15:40:06

I didn't want to injection but after a traumatic birth the doctors made the decision to give it to me. I honestly didn't even know I had it or that I had delivered the placenta My leg hurt a few days after but best to just get it out

GummyGoddess Tue 16-May-17 15:47:19

I didn't have it and left cord intact until the placenta popped out less than 10 minutes after giving birth. It was a bit messy but it felt so weird it made me giggle grin

Babywearinggeek Tue 16-May-17 18:36:07

I didn't have it (accidental home birth and paramedics don't carry the injection with them so i had no choice but to wait for it to come naturally). I had really painful contractions for the full hour that we waited for placenta. But some people don't wait anywhere near as long and don't have any pain at all! Due with second baby in 2 weeks and I plan to wait for about 15-20 mins for placenta to come naturally, but if it hasn't by then I shall be having the injection. If you google managed 3rd stage of labour, NCT have a really good info page on the difference between having the injection and not smile

fanfrickintastic Wed 17-May-17 21:01:30

I had the injection 3 times, but my placenta refused to budge! I couldn't see any side effects though, so I'd have it again.

tinytoucan Wed 17-May-17 21:15:38

I was advised to have it as I had fibroids and evidently the risk of heavy bleeding is increased then. I remember they said they were going to do it but don't remember it being painful or anything (and I didn't have pain relief so it wasn't that). I think by that stage you're so focussed on the baby you don't notice anything else smile

I'm not really a fan of injections (is anyone?!) but I'd have it again if I have another baby

Newtothis11 Fri 19-May-17 00:53:02

I didn't have the injection, didn't notice the time as was holding DS lots of skin to skin. Couple of pushes and it came out- nothing like labour it was absolutely fine.

Runningbutnotscared Fri 19-May-17 01:14:02

I didn't have it the first time as the advice from the NCT lady was 'if it takes an hour that's all good, lots of skin time with your baby'. Lovely, until it was decided that it was not happening naturally and a doctor had to pull it out of me. Unpleasant for everyone. Very bloody, sore and a bit embarrassing.
If he hadn't gotten it all it would have meant surgery I think, which would have been really disappointing after being lucky enough to get through a vaginal delivery with some tearing.
Next time I had the injection and very little memory of the placenta being delivered.

gluteustothemaximus Fri 19-May-17 01:18:18

Had it with all 3, would recommend as it speeds up placenta delivery and helps with bleeding.

Had my first at 21. Good luck xx

soundsystem Fri 19-May-17 12:31:51

I hadn't it with my first but not with my second. If I have a third I'd opt to have the injection.

With my second the placenta did take around an hour to come out, so the midwifery had me squatting, kneeling, sitting on the loo, all with a newborn baby clamped to my chest!

barfotoliv Sun 21-May-17 21:04:15

I had it with my first, at the time it seemed like a given, assumed by the midwives I would have it, although I'm sure if I'd have objected it would have been no issue. No side effects and placenta delivered about 10/15 minutes matter. With my second, which was a home birth, my midwife suggested waiting and seeing what happened, and I agreed. 10/15 minutes after the birth I delivered. So in my case it didn't seem to make a difference at all. I think if doing again I wouldn't bother, although I can see why it's encouraged in hospital births, if it has the double advantage of speeding things up and reducing risk. In a home birth scenario though it's so much less rushed and pressurised and you're so well monitored, which to a large extent mitigates any risk I feel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now