Talk

Advanced search

Diarrhoea after birth - voltarol suppository?

(5 Posts)
ilovetosleep Sat 13-May-17 18:13:30

I gave birth about 12 hours ago and just had really bad diarrhoea! Could it be from the suppositiry, or could it be anything to worry about? Not pleasant experience esp with stitches to deal with too!

pinguina16 Sun 14-May-17 12:08:31

Hi OP,

Normally women are constipated the first few days after birth (and need laxatives to clear their bowels) and so what you're describing doesn't seem "normal".

Could you tell us more about the birth? Have you now been seen by someone?

Congratulations on your new baby!

ilovetosleep Sun 14-May-17 14:23:42

Thanks for the reply. Birth was fine, straightforward, fast. No drugs or anything so it's not related to the birth. I had a few grade two stitches nr perineum and a voltarol suppository afterwards, she said when she inserted it thy everything was intact in back passage. Thank Christ! Saw MW today and she thinks it was probably the suppository that did it but yes was a bit weird to not be constipated straight after the birth like last 2 times! Certainly not had any urge to go since then so looks like must have been a one off and next comes the hard bit. Never had a suppository before so no idea if that's a normal reaction to one

pinguina16 Sun 14-May-17 17:37:02

I understand now. Good to hear you're well.

Yes, suppositories are often used to clear blockage (if your child is constipated, a suppository before administering laxatives is a good idea so the first poo is soft).

annlee3817 Sun 14-May-17 20:05:48

The same thing happened to me, I hadn't considered that it might be from the suppository. It was just the once though thankfully and my stomach was fine after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now