Talk

Advanced search

Induction due to Gestational diabetes

(13 Posts)
emilyjayne5 Thu 11-May-17 22:50:30

I'm getting induced on Monday at 38 weeks due to GD and I'm wondering if anyone has any induction stories due to GD or any induction stories in general, I'm really wondering what to expect!
Thank you!! grin

AppleMagic Thu 11-May-17 22:52:07

Two positive inductions at 38 weeks for GD. Lots of waiting around but once I got to the drip stage things happened very quickly!

AppleMagic Thu 11-May-17 22:59:02

In more detail, I went in to the hospital morning of day 1, had pessary and a bit of monitoring every 6hrs. 24hrs later they checked me and I was about 1.5cm dilated. I hadn't really had anything more than braxton Hicks type contractions. They say I can get my waters broken and have drip but I have to wait for space on delivery ward. This took about 48hrs in both labours! Fortunately I was not in any pain, just bored.

Once I get to delivery suite and have the drip I delivered within 8hrs. Very short active labours and both popped out with about one push.

With dc1 I had an epidural and I would recommend it (with dc2 I asked too late).

BouncingBlueberry Fri 12-May-17 10:48:05

I have GD and was told all along my pregnancy that I would be induced at 38 weeks. At my 37 week GD appointment last week I was booked for induction 2 days before I get to my due date so I'll be 39+6. Didn't see my consultant - haven't met them at all just the GD midwives. I have no idea why they are letting me carry on further than originally planned. I am diet controlled GD. Anyone able to shed any light for me?

AppleMagic Fri 12-May-17 11:25:35

This is actually following the new NICE guidelines Bouncing. I think in a lot of areas they only induce early if you are struggling to keep sugars within safe levels once on insulin or it's starting to affect the baby - large for dates, reduced movements etc
Even before the new guidelines came in it was relatively uncommon for people who could diet control to be induced.

SacharissaCrisplock Fri 12-May-17 11:29:52

I was induced in part due to my GD the only useful thing I can say is bring your own snacks/food if possible. I found there was very little I could eat that the hospital provided & I got very stressed trying to monitor my levels while not having the right things to eat.

Bit shit really, you'd have thought a maternity unit would be able to cater for it, it's not unusual!

Passthebiscuit Fri 12-May-17 11:33:44

Induction at 37 due to poor growth. I planned to pain relief but had an epidural - so go with an open mind if you've already had any ideas either way. Turn phone off or else you'll be bombarded with 'any news ?' Texts from the moment you get in to the hospital. Bring magazines and snacks !

Hoviscats Fri 12-May-17 11:40:42

I was induced due to GD at 38+6 weeks despite being diet controlled and with no 'bad' glucose readings in the whole time I was monitored! I had a growth scan at 38 weeks which indicated that DS was already 8lb 8 so they thought it safest to induce me.

Induction was totally fine, I only had the pessary. They put it in at 12, mild contractions had started by 4pm, waters broke at 8pm and I had him at 10pm.

He was my second baby and the first one came quickly (no GD or induction) so I don't know if that may have played a part in second one being quite quick too.

Oh and he was only 7lb 11 when he arrived so the growth scan wasn't hugely accurate!

Basically don't worry too much and don't assume it will be long and drawn out. It might not be! I managed fine with gas and air and a tens machine. I had heard loads of horror stories about induction but in the end I was glad to have had it as it meant at least a week less blood sugar monitoring and general late pregnancy discomfort. Oh and I could have chocolate!! grin

BouncingBlueberry Fri 12-May-17 12:06:40

@AppleMagic thank you for explaining that to me. I had been very puzzled by it all. Baby is big but in length not chunkyness if that makes sense. I'm 5"3 and baby's dad is 6"2 and in scans it's always had long leg bones. Currently measuring bigger than should on my growth charts but my community midwife isn't concerned
@Hoviscats thank you for that positive story. I declined a sweep yesterday at 38 weeks and my midwife agreed it was the right thing to do. Got one booked in on Tuesday and then one on Friday to hopefully kick start naturally or help my cervix get ready for induction.

emilyjayne5 Fri 12-May-17 12:12:43

Thank you for all the replies! I was induced with my first due to waters going at 39+5, although I had GD they didn't induced due to that!
I'm just worrying that it's going to be a long hospital stay and I'll have a toddler waiting for me at home!
It's just a waiting game now until Monday! This weekend needs to go super quick 😂

BouncingBlueberry Tue 16-May-17 11:12:00

How's it going @emilyjayne5 ?

emilyjayne5 Tue 16-May-17 13:13:12

@BouncingBlueberry I'm currently waiting for my waters to be broken after having the tampon thing in for 24 hours, they've not told me if I'm dilated yet but having irregular contractions and pain in my back which is painful and uncomfortable 😣
I'm hoping to say away from the epidural though!

BouncingBlueberry Tue 16-May-17 14:36:42

@emilyjayne5 All the best of luck! I've just had my first sweep to try to get things going so I avoid induction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now