Talk

Advanced search

Anybody here had more than two sections?

(14 Posts)
GlitteryFluff Mon 08-May-17 16:47:34

I had a failed induction with DS and ended up having a section, he was breech and 11lb7oz 15 days late.

Am pregnant again and would like to have a section again. There will be 3.5 years between the births if all goes well.

Have just spoken to a midwife who is arranging my first scan, going through history etc and she said having another section would probably be fine however the risk is greater each time of things like haemorrhaging and they don't recommend having more than two. And once you have two sections you have to have sections from then on.

I lost 1000ml of blood with DS, which I think is on the cusp of needing a transfusion (can anyone clarify that for me?) and apparently you lose more for subsequent pregnancies (can annoying clarify that too?)

I'm not sure how many children we'd like but just wondered how many sections others had had and if they all went smoothly?

Theknittinggorilla Tue 09-May-17 09:36:36

Hi I've had three, last one three weeks ago. One emcs, one failed vbac, one nice calm elective.
Recovering well from the last one, feels a bit slower than the other two but might be just impatience as I am keen to be back to normal! Surgeon actually said to me during the section that while they would usually recommend no more, that it had been very straightforward so if we did want a fourth that should be fine (we don't!).

So I'm still a bit stiff and sore but mobile, out and about and would feel confident driving now. The hardest thing has been dealing with my 4 and 2 year olds in the first few weeks - my husband has been amazing so my only advice would be to line up as much help as you can with the other children in the early weeks so you can rest/sleep.

Lcats Tue 09-May-17 11:00:54

Three c sections are fairly routine nowadays. I don't know why the midwife told you this. I would recommend you ask an obstetrician, who most probably would have experience in performing a third section on someone smile he can also discuss what caused your bleeding during your first op.
The complications of subsequent sections are generally caused by more scar tissue, making the operation longer and therefore increasing all the risks. After your second section the doctor will be able to advise you after assesing your particular situation.

PandasRock Tue 09-May-17 11:05:40

I've had 3.

First one emergency due to non-progression of labour.

Second, I had trial of labour, but ended in another c section after non-progression.

Third was elective, given my history.

All fine. With my third, my consultant mentioned possibility of complications, but all went well.

It was mentioned a fourth would be unwise (was never on the cards), and that I would need to be monitored carefully throughout, but no one said anything before my third.

dementedma Tue 09-May-17 11:08:31

I've had 3.
First emergency with breech
second and third elective.

Some subsequent problems with adhesions but nothing major. My second one was 23 years ago and my third 15 years ago so I'm sure things are even better now.

GlitteryFluff Tue 09-May-17 13:08:43

Thank you all for sharing.

Just felt a bit final thinking this will be it.
It might be, but I just assumed I could have a third if we wanted. But obviously don't want to cause any harm to a future baby or myself.

I suppose they won't know what's going on until they're actually doing the surgery getting dc2 out? So will they mention it in theatre or would I get the chance to discuss it after but before we've left hospital?

Such early days yet I probably shouldn't be thinking this far ahead!

biginjapan Tue 09-May-17 13:14:50

I'm going to have a fourth in December, all being well. There is someone on here who has had 6 - friends of mine have had 5.

Tricycletops Wed 10-May-17 20:34:58

I've only had two, but I can tell you that I lost far less blood with the second one. Nobody said anything to me about not having a third, in fact my community midwife kept trying to convince me I wanted to!

GlitteryFluff Thu 11-May-17 14:24:49

Thank you both.

lorelairoryemily Thu 11-May-17 14:44:02

My mother had 4, my sister had 3, I've had on emcs, my mil had 3, a friend has had 5... All fine, no issues at all

Northernexile Thu 11-May-17 14:50:48

I'm three weeks after my third. First two were failed inductions, this one was elective (told I couldn't try a vbac this time). My older DC are 5.3 and 2.6 to give you an idea of my age gaps. I found my first recovery more difficult than the subsequent two, probably as I didn't know my limits. I feel pretty ok three weeks in this time, and have driven. The consultant told me there is a slightly increased risk of complications with each section, to do with scar, adhesions, haemorrhage etc, but that a fourth would be possible if I wanted another (I'm not contemplating that tbh!). I lost 300ml of blood this time apparently, not sure how that compares with the previous ones as they didn't tell me before.

whenthewindblows Thu 11-May-17 14:58:30

I've had 3. First emcs followed by 2 elective. I was told that the 2nd had been complicated by scarring from the first, which then went onto my notes, so they were anticipating difficulties with the third but it actually went fine. Recovery took longer with the last one, but I think that was more due to them no longer prescribing co-codamol as routine.

whenthewindblows Thu 11-May-17 14:59:05

I don't mean co-codamol, I mean codeine.

angelinheaven Thu 18-May-17 10:03:03

I've had 5 and having my 6th section in sept, I was told as long as your uterus is good there is no problems. The only difference with any of mine was that they took abit longer as build up of scar tissue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now