Talk

Advanced search

Hospital say baby must be wrapped in red towel straight after birth

(9 Posts)
GirlcalledJames Sun 07-May-17 15:04:06

Giving birth in Central Europe; hospital list includes a red towel for baby to be wrapped in straight after birth as apparently "research shows" that babies are then calmer.
This isn't a thing in the UK, is it?
Don't have any red towels as I prefer to have all white but as I don't have a baby bath towel yet I guess I'll just get a red one.
Just seems odd as if it's so important, why don't they just provide some? They provide a whole bunch of stuff you'd never get on the NHS.
(Definitely not a language issue, I speak the language. It's on the list of a number of hospitals I looked at on-line so seems to be widespread.)

OP’s posts: |
SarahOoo Sun 07-May-17 17:54:51

No not a thing here but interested to read up on the research on that! Which country is this? Our hospital wrapped our baby in a rough towel as they said newborns love it and I had to say I agreed! Our baby girl was very calm and settled. So maybe make sure you wash it about 3 times first and don't use too much fabric conditioner!

insancerre Sun 07-May-17 17:57:17

Is it so that mums don't get freaked by the blood?

silkpyjamasallday Sun 07-May-17 17:59:05

I think it's so the blood doesn't show/stain. I don't really see the need to scrub them clean straight away, I certainly wasn't going to be bothered by a bit of blood after labour.

Mummyme87 Mon 08-May-17 07:01:20

Research shows that immediate skin to skin is best for babies for thermoregulation etc 🤔 Really random. What are they going to do if you don't bring a red towel?

SaltyMyDear Mon 08-May-17 07:03:21

I thought babies were colour blind. So can't be for babies benefit.....

JohnnyMcGrathSaysFuckOff Mon 08-May-17 07:06:31

Huh, I had a very fast home birth and DH just had to grab the first clean towel he could.... which was red! Odd.

Amyhow DD turned out fine. I thought newborns could see black white and red only...

GirlcalledJames Mon 08-May-17 12:42:24

I also thought it might be for the blood etc. but they specifically write that it is for calming the baby. Google finds nothing about this practice if you search in English though.
You don't have to keep the baby in the towel, you can take it out again for skin to skin contact.
I think it is probably as pps say for calming the parents by making the blood less visible, which I guess could calm the baby as a consequence but it's so infantilising to not be told the real reason.
Might see if MIL has an old red towel.
I will just comply if it isn't inconvenient as they tend to treat you better if they feel you're following the rules. But it seems pretty bogus.

OP’s posts: |
Mumoftheark Mon 08-May-17 17:48:37

1) babies are colour blind

2) babies are best with skin to skin

This makes no sense lol. Has to be for mothers benefit / blood etc - bit odd lol

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in