Talk

Advanced search

Homerton, UCH or Whittington?

(15 Posts)
ElleMcElle Fri 05-May-17 12:20:12

Hello! I've just found out I'm pregnant and been to see the GP, who explained that I have a choice of self referral to Homerton, UCH or Whittington. I would love to hear any views about which one is considered best - both for the birth itself and for ante and post-natal care. Thanks so much! This still doesn't quite feel real...

millifiori Fri 05-May-17 23:19:41

It was a few years ago now but I had DC at Homerton and it was a lovely experience. A friend recently had her DC at Homerton too and was happy. It's a safe place to be if there's any danger of prematurity or low birth weight as they have a great neonatal unit.

I have to visit Whittington regularly and it's always full of happy looking pregnant mums and is such a clean, spacious place. UCH always seems a bit chaotic - not been near the maternity ward since DSis had her PFB there 30 years ago, though!

I have happy memories of the lovely nurses at Homerton. I wonder if the lovely Jemima is still there.

Nice choices. Good luck.

ElleMcElle Sun 07-May-17 10:59:08

Thanks millefiori - glad you had such a good experience at Homerton!

babynelly2010 Sun 07-May-17 16:38:01

Whittington birth centre was fab but over 6 years ago.

lolalament Sun 07-May-17 16:41:41

UCH takes all the complicated cases. Which is great if you have complications. But if you don't, you can feel a bit sidelined or ignored.

ElleMcElle Sun 07-May-17 18:58:16

Thanks again! That's a perspective I hadn't thought of, lolalament - thank you.

manateeandcake Sun 07-May-17 20:19:05

Congratulations!

I had both my dcs at the Homerton, DD 4 years ago in the delivery suite and DS 18 months ago in the birth centre. Both times I felt had really good care and I particularly loved the birth centre. DS was born at 3am and the three of us were able to stay in the room together till we were discharged, so no postnatal ward.

First time round I was actually booked in at UCH originally but changed to Homerton because we moved house and I knew lots of people who had good experiences there. I preferred the slightly more personal feel of the Homerton. Obviously there's a lot of luck involved in terms of which midwife or doctor you get, how busy it is when you give birth etc. and from what I hear all three of your options are excellent places to give birth. I did encounter a couple of staff members who I didn't like (one Dr who wanted to induce me at 38 weeks with DS for no reason whatsoever!) but in the main everyone was great. For both births I had one to one care from the same midwife throughout.

Good luck!

ElleMcElle Mon 08-May-17 09:14:29

Hi @manateeandcake - that's great to hear, especially about the continuity of care with the same midwife. Thank you!

ElleMcElle Mon 08-May-17 11:55:42

Just came across this re- Homerton, which is worrying... Although it's so difficult for a lay person to know the full story - it might be that they had much higher risk cases to begin with -

www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/disturbing-number-of-baby-deaths-at-homerton-hospital-maternity-unit-revealed-as-information-commissioner-orders-transparency-over-12-maternal-deaths-1-4451862

Does anyone have further info on this?

manateeandcake Mon 08-May-17 12:21:29

Hi Elle, I read the same thing when I was a few weeks away from giving birth to DS and panicked. DH and I looked into it a bit and talked to a doctor friend who had worked there in obstetrics.

As I understand it, there are a few reasons why the demographic the hospital serves includes more high risk cases. These include poverty, obesity and related health problems, and certain religions where people refuse some kinds of treatment. At least one of the maternal deaths was the result of the latter scenario. Also, the NICU takes in unwell babies from a very wide geographic area.

Finally, we felt that the fact these incidents had been flagged probably meant greater precautions were being taken. In fact, this may be why that one overzealous doctor wanted to induce me early. Scary stuff, I know, but it's made much scarier when not put in context.

ElleMcElle Tue 09-May-17 20:12:51

Thanks @manateeandcake - that's useful context. I don't think it's going to be possible to make a genuinely informed decision, is it? I just have to hope for the best!

Tollygunge Tue 09-May-17 20:20:02

Uch are bloody amazing. I'm awed by how wonderful they are BUT I had a complicated pregnancy under the fetal medicine unit. No idea what they're like otherwise.

OneOfTheGrundys Tue 09-May-17 20:29:43

All of those hospitals have issues with traffic in surrounding areas-I'd take into account your most likely journey to all three.

My care at the Homerton was OK. A long time ago though-8 and 10 years ago. Better with DS2. Post natal was awful but I always felt safe during labour and delivery. We lived close. My friend had a complicated pregnancy and planned c section there 3 years ago and things went very well for her.

Pansiesandredrosesandmarigolds Thu 11-May-17 20:08:17

I was at the Whittington in 2013 and 2016. Very happy memories both times - kind, helpful people.

ElleMcElle Fri 12-May-17 16:22:05

Thanks again, everyone. My OH is keen on UCH because it's such a prestigious teaching hospital - and if I have a complicated pregnancy, I'm sure I'd be really relieved to be there. But there's nothing to suggest my pregnancy will be complicated yet (except that I'm just over 35) - and I wonder if Homerton might be more personal...?

Does anyone have recent experience of a relatively 'uncomplicated' pregnancy at UCH?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now