Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a Caesarian and major surgery at the same time?

(2 Posts)
lilyborderterrier Thu 04-May-17 13:47:21

Hi so I'm 23 weeks pregnant with my planned 2nd baby 😍and I also have a humongous subserosal fibroid growing inside me as well. It's 16cm by 15cm so imagine the size of a melon! Im under the consultant led care and seeing him again in a few weeks to discuss my MRI scan and other stuff.
He mentioned that I would not be able yes have the same water birth on the birth unit I had with my first. ( this birth was great gas and air but I had to go into surgery after for a torn placenta and loss of blood. It was horrific and I am terrified it will happen again. So I'm pretty much set on asking for a planned cesarian (this is by no means the easy option as I'm really scared of hospitals and operations etc but I want to be in the right mindset and my baby and me to be safe. The question I'm rambling on about is has anyone had a planned c section and also either surgery or the removal of a large fibroid? How was it ? How did you feel/ recover ?
Is this even an option I can ask for ? I'm terrified that I'll have a tiny baby and a child starting school and then have the have another operation to remove the fibroid!

Any comments would be really appreciated x thank you x

sycamore54321 Wed 10-May-17 21:20:05

Obviously something to discuss with your doctor but many women have sterilisation procedures at the same time as c-section for their final child. From my friends who have done so, the main difference appears to be a longer time in the operating theatre after the baby is delivered and often the baby goes elsewhere with the partner while the non-birth part of the surgery is continued. I know though that for sterilisation, the failure rate is slightly higher for operations conducted during a section but many women are happy to balance this risk against having a separate procedure. I haven't heard of any of them having additional difficulties recovering above and beyond normal c-section recovery.

Best wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now