We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can anyone tell me

(8 Posts)
pinkiepie1 Fri 28-Apr-17 14:20:57

Hi I've had a look but I'm either blind or just not looking properly, but could anyone tell me how long after a c section you can drive.

When I had my dd I'm sure I was driving within 6 weeks but that was years ago now and just wondered if it had changed got longer/shorted.

Thanks you
Ps sorry if this has been asked before.

mimiholls Fri 28-Apr-17 15:52:09

There's no set time it depends how you heal. You should be able to do an emergency stop without fear of any pain. You just need to check if there are any restrictions with your insurance company.

pinkiepie1 Fri 28-Apr-17 16:08:04

Thank you

NewMumSept2014 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:23:32

I can't see in DVA regulations any specific guidance for C/S. Bit on surgery in general states " licence holders wishing to drive after surgery should establish with their own doctors when it would be safe to do so."

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/596959/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

Page 106.

Happycow Fri 28-Apr-17 21:29:25

There is no specific time, but you need to be able to fully control the vehicle (e. Emergency stop) and also your insurer needs to be happy with that. Some insurers say 6 weeks, others whenever your doctor is happy. My insurer was fine with me driving whenever I wanted as long as I was comfortable and I hadn't been medically told not to. 4-6 weeks is the norm - in terms of being legal and also before then you don't feel physically comfortable enough.

AuditAngel Fri 28-Apr-17 21:31:57

It depends on your doctor and your insurer. With DD1 I felt ready adpfter 5 weeks so duly waited until 6 weeks, with DD2 I felt ready sooner so having spoken to the GP and insurer who both said it was up to the other, I started driving.

AuditAngel Fri 28-Apr-17 21:34:00

That was 3 weeks post section

zippyswife Fri 28-Apr-17 22:30:31

I was driving within 2-3 weeks after both c-sections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now