Talk

Advanced search

Am I too fat for a VBAC?

(15 Posts)
Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Tue 25-Apr-17 19:57:03

DS1 was a section as he was an unstable lie and wouldn't stop cartwheeling in the womb.
I am thinking that I would like to try this time (am 17/40) for a natural birth if the baby will engage.
I am a size 20 and 35.
My Mum is a Dr and has told me I am essentially too fat and old for a VB.
I am a bit worried about it all. I REALLY don't want an emergency C-section. Has anyone on here had a successful VBAC as a larger lady?

Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Tue 25-Apr-17 20:47:04

bumpily bump bump

Chocmudpie Wed 26-Apr-17 12:21:10

I've seen late 40s women who are a size 18/20 give birth like it was nothing on one born every minute. So dunno what your frankly unhelpful mother is talking about.

Spam88 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:06:31

I have never heard of weight being a reason not to have a VB, is that really a thing?? confused

BadToTheBone Wed 26-Apr-17 16:09:44

She's talking out of her arse, hth

CountessOfStrathearn Wed 26-Apr-17 18:43:18

It depends really. A higher BMI is associated with a higher chance of a section at a VBAC, but doesn't mean that you can't try and see how things go.

There's a good calculator here where you can input your own details and see the chance of a successful VBAC. Playing with it will show that BMI makes a difference, from a 70% rate at BMI 25 and a 49-50% rate at BMI of 40.

mfmunetwork.bsc.gwu.edu/PublicBSC/MFMU/VGBirthCalc/vagbirth.html

CountessOfStrathearn Wed 26-Apr-17 18:43:46

(for a woman of 35)

mimiholls Wed 26-Apr-17 18:44:25

You're statistically more likely to need an assisted delivery or emcs if youve got a high bmi. Thats for any birth not just vbac. So i dont think her comments are completely unfounded but I would doubt it's a reason not to try for vbac if you want to.

Trifleorbust Wed 26-Apr-17 19:11:07

She is a doctor (of medicine?) so I wouldn't assume she is talking 'out of her arse' hmm

What exactly did she say?

Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Wed 26-Apr-17 22:13:46

I said that I'd like a VB and she said not to try because I'm a size 20 so likely to struggle. He exact words were "Not at your size darling." Then I pointed out my larger cousins had had VBs and she said "yes but they were younger." God Love her she had a straight forceps delivery and an emergency section so is probably just worried for me.
I know its more likely that I will struggle I just wondered in anyone had done it. I suppose I need a bit of anecdotal courage! As I really don't want to try for 12 hours and end up with a section anyway - who would though!
Thanks for all your replies! Countess that you for the calculator!!!

Mustardnowletsnotbesilly Wed 26-Apr-17 22:16:50

Fuck i'm only 52% chance on the calculator... Maybe i'll just go for another section.

BadToTheBone Thu 27-Apr-17 00:10:08

Maybe "talking out of her arse" was a bit brash, but she wasn't talking as a reasoned doctor, she was talking quite flippantly and nastily to her own dd, with very little medical basis, without an examination or any explanation of what she means by her comment. I'm assuming op can speak to her own medical professional with more detail. However a diagnosis of 'you'll never give birth vaginally' cannot be based purely on age and size, other factors included then maybe, but we haven't been given any other info.

Bue Thu 27-Apr-17 06:06:07

What your mum isn't taking into account is the fact that you had an elcs for a non-recurring reason. You didn't have it because your labour stalled, for example. That fact actually increases your chance of a successful VBAC. So you might have some factors that are not in your favour but you also have some that are.

sparkleandsunshine Thu 27-Apr-17 06:15:23

Sorry, this isn't a very helpful post, but just wanna say, I feel your worry!

I'm a size 20 and just had my first which was an emergency section because my labour wouldn't progress. I'm already thinking about next time and even though I really want a VBAC I lots of people are telling me to either have a section or that I won't have a choice and will have to have a section.

I'm not pregnant yet, we want to give it about 2 years, but it's still upsetting me! I am trying to shift some weight, but I don't even know if that will make a difference. Basically my point is, if I was pregnant, I would have a chat with my midwife. Give her a call, see what she says. There's no harm and you might get a more definitive answer and if it is section you'll have time to try and come to terms with it x good luck OP x

Newmanwannabe Thu 27-Apr-17 06:39:59

You may find being monitored more difficult, and a bit restrictive if you are larger but that is no reason not to have a VBAC.

I think it's better for you to have one because it will reduce your risk of DVT (due being immobile afterwards or less active for longer) and also the risk of poor wound healing. 35 is not old either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now