Talk

Advanced search

Wwyd c section or attempt birth

(19 Posts)
mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 16:14:28

This is totally hypothetical as I'm not currently pregnant but we are thinking of having a 3rd baby. My first birth was back to back & a forceps delivery. My second birth was induced & I suffered a 3rd degree tear. The MW who looked after my recovery said I was lucky to still be continent ! If we were to have a 3rd child would you attempt a natural delivery or opt for an elective c section? Would be really worried about the recovery time with a c section with 2 children & a baby, but would be petrified of worse happening with another childbirth. Interested in your advice & experiences.

JustAKitten Sat 22-Apr-17 16:17:39

I had a cesarean and it was easy, I've had more uncomfortable shits than a cesarean. Within two days I was walking, three days I was pretty much fine.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Sat 22-Apr-17 16:20:04

Woe, those sound like some horrible experiences. I can certainly see why you would consider a C Section. Fwiw, I've had two (one EM one Elc) and found them both OK. The recovery was not too bad, they give you some very good painkillers. You just have to be careful not to lift heavy objects for a bit.

Emma1609 Sat 22-Apr-17 16:28:42

If I'd had a forceps delivery and then a subsequent delivery with a 3rd degree tear then I'd probably want to go for a section. I had a traumatic first birth with 2nd degree tear and left with a prolapse - I seriously considered a section for next birth (currently pregnant with no2 ) but have decided to go for vaginal birth and hope for no further damage. You had a 2nd vaginal birth and still got a 3rd degree tear so that is a strong argument for a section in my opinion.

DuggeeHugs Sat 22-Apr-17 18:28:22

A third degree tear is a nasty business - I'd definitely be looking to remove the risk of further damage with an ELCS. Do you have family/friends who'd be able to stay and assist if you went for that option?

My first was an EMCS and I'm hoping for an ELCS this time - support with DC1 is my main worry but family have offered to help which is great

Backhometothenorth Sat 22-Apr-17 18:40:50

C section without a doubt

Bubbinsmakesthree Sat 22-Apr-17 18:48:36

I've had a vaginal birth with forceps + episiotomy and an ELCS. ELCS recovery has been faster and easier, though if the age of your other children means you still need to lift into cots and baths etc, you need to make sure you've got help at home for long enough - although I felt physically very good just a week after the ELCS it would have been very foolish to try lifting my heavy 2 year old.

mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 19:53:02

Duggee my family all live over 3 hours away but I was thinking I'd ask my mum to come & stay for the first 2 weeks then maybe I could ask my sister to come & help for the next 2.

mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 19:53:57

Thanks Bubbins, that's really interesting. And good thinking about lifting etc- my kids are 2 & 4 at the moment so still get picked up a lot.

oohloolala Sat 22-Apr-17 19:59:49

I don't think ECS is a bad idea but I have had 3rd degree tear and vaginal birth after and I'm fine. Healed really well after the first tear. Had a small tear with my second because he was born quickly when heart rate dropped. If I have a third I'll go for another vaginal birth!

mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 20:05:23

Ohhloo that's really interesting. How was the birth the next time round? What sort of position did you give birth in & did they do anything different knowing you had previously had a 3rd degree tear?

DuggeeHugs Sat 22-Apr-17 20:36:40

Mum if you go for a CS that sounds like a good plan. My folks are more than two hours away so we're looking at a similar arrangement. We don't have any family within an hour of us.

oohloolala Sat 22-Apr-17 20:38:15

I was under a consultant second time round and could have had a ECS if I'd wanted to but because I had recovered well and had no problems they said I'd be fine to go for a vaginal birth and that was what felt right for me. I was offered sweeps a bit early, I had one just before due date and DS came one day early. I had an epidural so was on my back. Had to push quickly due to heart rate dropping so got a small tear. If he wasn't born so fast I might not have torn he wasn't big, 7lb exactly!

oohloolala Sat 22-Apr-17 20:40:17

...they said there wasn't much they could do in terms of prevention. I tore first time because DS was born compound - with his arm over his head. It was unlikely to happen again but there are no guarantees!

mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 20:54:48

Duggee it's hard isn't it when family are further away. Hope you get lots of support from yours.

DuggeeHugs Sat 22-Apr-17 21:03:42

Mum it really is. I was very lucky after the EMCS, they dropped everything to help us out on and off for the first 3 weeks. I don't know how we'd have managed without them!

Theknittinggorilla Sat 22-Apr-17 21:10:00

I had my 3rd c section on Tuesday, have a four year old and a two year old. It's been a tough few days, I'm sore and stiff but improving every day. My two ds have been amazing so far at realising they can't jump on me and I can't lift them. I have a very hands on and supportive Dh which is the key. And my mil was a great support for the 2 days I was in hospital (she is an hour away, my parents two hours).

I think the next week or so will be tough but to be honest I already feel better than I did at 9 months pregnant with two under 5! The five of us went for a short walk in the sun today.

As long as you have a Dh you can rely on for the first couple of weeks to take the heavy lifting with the other two children a section is a good option. Helped a lot in organising childcare for the birth as well!

mumof2sofar Sat 22-Apr-17 21:20:45

That's great theknittinggorilla, sounds like your dh is amazing & your boys are being good too. That's actually a really good point about organising childcare- I guess it's easier as you know exactly when you'll be having the baby. Just a quick c section question- are you just allowed 1 person in the room with you or is it 2?

fanfrickintastic Fri 28-Apr-17 03:10:15

Speaking as someone incontinent due to birth trauma, take the c section.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now