Talk

Advanced search

Six weeks after a C section - when will this get better?

(3 Posts)
HopefulKate1980 Wed 19-Apr-17 17:47:29

Hi all

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I had an emergency C section six weeks ago which became infected around a week ago. I am on antibiotics and the scar seems to be slightly less red and painful but it is still very swollen, tender, numb in parts and distorted in shape. It is really starting to get me down - I can't leave the house without a struggle and it doesnt seem to be improving quickly.

I am sure everyone's recovery is different but does anyone have any advice on roughly how long it will take for me to feel more mobile again? What I should / shouldn't be doing? Also does anyone have any advice on how to reduce the swelling and the ridge above the scar?

Thanks so much x

mummy80317 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:09:12

Hi,
I had an emergency section 6 weeks ago aswell, after my legs and knees were very swollen and on week 2 I got an infection and went on antibiotics and my scar is now healing well, I find airing it out for 10 mins at night helps, if you lie on the bed flat and let the air get to it. Also I used a maternity pad to stop my scar from rubbing on my clothes for the first few weeks.
I've only started to feel more mobile these last couple of weeks, I have been going on short walks with my partner and baby and will gradually build up to longer walks as and when I feel up to it. They say not to lift anything heavier than the baby, only do light house work if you feel up to it and if you feel your scar pulling sit down and rest. Remember our bodies have been through a lot so will take time to recover...take each day as it comes.

user1474462227 Wed 19-Apr-17 20:13:15

You should wear big and high waisted underwear. I wore leggings as it was less pressure on the scar. It will feel sore for a while. Eventually but very slowly you will feel better. The numbness can last 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now