Talk

Advanced search

Baby measuring small

(12 Posts)
Ashmumtojack Wed 19-Apr-17 11:04:35

Hi everyone. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and went to a mw appt yesterday. When she measured the bump I am only measuring 30cm which she said is a bit small. We had a consultant appointment next week to discuss planned section after problems during the birth with my son, so the midwife has brought this appointment forward to tomorrow and had recommended an emergency ultrasound. Starting to really worry something is wrong. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

AreWeThereYet000 Wed 19-Apr-17 22:11:28

The measurement the midwife takes isn't really at all accurate, this can change dependant on babies position, the way you are laid during examination etc, and even scans have a 25% leeway. For what it's worth I had growth scans from 28 weeks and at each scan I was told my baby is healthy but will be small, even during labour at my initial examination when I was admitted the MW felt my stomach and declared 'she's not going to be a big one' out popped an 8lb 11oz baby. Good luck for tomorrow xx

Hapaxlegomenon Fri 21-Apr-17 16:41:27

I have had very similar - the doctor said I measured small and sent me for the next available ultrasound. It showed that my baby is slightly small - 15th percentile for weight, but he also said not to worry, and anything over the 10th percentile is normal range. He also said that some babies are naturally small, and it's more concerning if there is a drastic change in the size e.g. one appointment it is average size and the next it's very small. I have to have weekly appointments now to make sure the baby doesn't drop under the 10th percentile, but other than that there is no problem. I'm sure everything will be fine for you X

isthistoonosy Fri 21-Apr-17 16:43:49

I had this too with dc1, he was 3kgs so on the small side but totally fine.

FurryElephant Fri 21-Apr-17 16:47:54

I did too! My bump measurement supposedly didn't grow from 28 weeks and by 34 weeks they panicked as had dropped off the charts almost, had an emergency scan and baby was absolutely fine and 7lb 8oz smile

Millie2013 Fri 21-Apr-17 18:12:50

DD had an estimated birth weight of 5-6lb, from a scan at 36w. I had a v small bump
We bought tiny baby clothes
She was 8lb14!

WildCherryBlossom Fri 21-Apr-17 18:16:14

I had lots of extra scans from 20 weeks on as they were concerned the baby was tiny and possibly not developing properly (small head circumference etc). Baby was 9lb 3oz and 54 inches long! Scans are not terribly accurate. Tape measure on tummy even less so!

FurryElephant Fri 21-Apr-17 19:25:12

@WildCherryBlossom 54 inches? grinI hope not!

WildCherryBlossom Fri 21-Apr-17 21:05:16

Nooo 24! Doh!

MyBreadIsEggy Fri 21-Apr-17 21:12:17

Not a accurate at all in my experience!
With both pregnancies, my bump measured much smaller than expected - up to 6 weeks behind sometimes.
I had growth scan - most recently at 32 weeks with my DS. They thought he had IUGR, estimated him to be 4lb 8oz if born at full term....he was actually 6lb 9oz born at 36 week hmm

Ashmumtojack Sat 22-Apr-17 11:49:28

Thanks for your replies everyone. We went to scan and baby measuring slightly small, around 15th percentile but they weren't concerned at all. To go for another scan in 3 weeks smile

Cammysmoma Sat 22-Apr-17 14:36:30

The told me that too. They told me my baby was big at a growth scan and me being tiny thought bye bye pelvic floor...

He came out at 6lbs 3oz and on time.
Measurements are always out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now