Talk

Advanced search

Should I try a second sweep?

(9 Posts)
user1492080882 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:27:12

This is ANOTHER 'help me I'm overdue and going slowly mad' thread, sorry sad

I'm 41+1 weeks now and I am booked for induction on Wednesday. Although not 42 weeks until Saturday, Wednesday was the only day they can take me due to being very busy. In the last week I've had a sweep, 2cm dilated, fully effaced and had a bloody show within 24 hrs of this.

Due to it being the Easter holidays I am unable to contact my own MW, but phoned the hospital helpline this morning to ask if I could have another sweep before Wednesday as I really don't want to be induced. (I have read up on increased need for intervention etc) The MW basically said, in not so many words 'I don't think that will make any difference, I am willing to do it if you insist, but it will probably not do anything'. Should I try?

I've had extremely irritating pre-labour signs all week - period type cramping, more pink mucous, hot flushes and dizziness, BHs, and now loose stools too. Being tearful and irrational just started this morning envy

Thank you in advance.

tattychicken Sun 16-Apr-17 08:35:20

I had 4 sweeps with DC4 in a desperate attempt to avoid an induction. The 4th one worked and he was born at 41 + 5.

5madthings Sun 16-Apr-17 08:35:24

You don't have to be induced. You can ask for expectant management instead. As you say you won't even be 42 weeks.

I had numerous sweeps to try and help and they didn't work I think evidence shows they may help if you are about to go into labour.

Isadora2007 Sun 16-Apr-17 08:35:26

I am thinking that a second sweep could be just the thing to get it going as you sound right there. Definitely go for it.

My third birth was similar. EDD 8/6 first sweep 12/6 then a weekend of cramping and a bit of show. Then second sweep 15/6 with a date for induction 21/6 (i was given 19/6 but older dds birthday was 20/6 and I didn't want to miss it)
Second sweep worked as on the day of the 16th I felt achy and had further show. Was really Really busy that day (stupidly so- had I thought about it I would have rested!)- bought guinea pigs and a hutch for dd birthday, went shopping, did some weeding etc Cramps turned into contractions early evening and went to hospital midnight. Dd2 arrived at 9am on the 17th.

Good luck. I'm sure things will start for you with just a little encouragement.

MrsBellefleur Sun 16-Apr-17 08:43:55

I would have another if you could, it can only help.

I had two with my first, went 11 days overdue and neither did anything. Just missed being induced when she made her appearance naturally.

I had one sweep with my second when I was 38+2 as I was being induced early a few days later and was told it can make things more favourable for induction. Lost my mucous plug the evening after and my waters broke 3 days after my sweep. Contractions didn't begin though so I still had to have a pessary to kick things off but the sweep definitely helped this time even though I was early when they hadn't when I was overdue.

chickenjalfrezi Sun 16-Apr-17 08:47:00

Definitely have a go if she'll do it. I had a student midwife so each time I had a sweep they did it twice. The midwife that did effectively the 4th one did the trick. It hurt so badly but was in labour later that night!

user1492080882 Sun 16-Apr-17 09:00:14

Thank you ladies.

I'm going to wait until Tuesday and actually speak to my own MW. I think the crux of it is that I don't want induced on Wednesday. I can discuss with her the risks of waiting a little longer too. If nothing was happening at all I would probably give in and accept the induction, but everything feels so ready!

user1492080882 Sun 16-Apr-17 09:01:35

I should add, I casually agreed to the induction being booked because my MW told me after my sweep that I probably wouldn't need it as everything was so favourable!

Funnyonion17 Sun 16-Apr-17 09:04:57

You sound very favourable for another sweep but tbh i think given your progress induction would likely be a big success too.

It's usually only unfavourable due to the cervix and body not been ready.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now