Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy healing question?

(5 Posts)
charlie13032017 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:33:00

Had an episiotomy 4 weeks ago and it did gape abit when midwife checked on day 9 but she said it would heal on its own.
So, I looked again the other day as it started irritating and wearing pads don't exactly help either. I couldn't help but notice a red raised bit of skin along there? If I dab with tissue it sticks a little, so I've just been using water wipes now? Any idea on what the skin could be and how I could get rid of it? It feels fairly tighg when I do pelvic floor exercises too?
Anybody else had this?

Would appreciate it if someone comment on my other post about breastfeeding too?

DailyMailFuckRightOff Tue 11-Apr-17 16:35:30

Hmmm. Mine was sore for long after 4 weeks but if you're concerned about an infection you need to speak to your doctor - better to be told it's fine than deal with poor healing later.

charlie13032017 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:44:41

Yeah the weird thing is, I felt a lot better! Especially after not being able to wal/sit properly for ages and crying in pain.
I'm able to sit and walk just feel like it's extra scar tissue and not sure whether it's normal or not?
Shall I wait until my 6 week appointment? I don't really see it as an emergency as I'm not really in any pain, it's just more irritating than anything?

DoctorMonty Tue 11-Apr-17 17:02:25

Scars are initially red and raised; yours will still be in what's called the proliferative phase. After about 6 weeks they'll start to remodel - a process which takes a year or more. This is when it goes from red and raised to silvery, flat and barely noticeable.

However, if there's a break in the skin that hasn't healed over, you might have some granulation tissue. This is the sticky, "fluffy" tissue that fills the gaps, but if it doesn't "skin over", it can just keep on growing and end up protruding from the defect in the wound.

It isn't an emergency, and your 6 week check will be fine - the doctor might burn the top of any granulation tissue with a little chemical matchstick to force it to seal over the top.

Hope that helps smile

smellsofelderberries Wed 12-Apr-17 05:32:08

Physio can also teach you how to break down the scar tissue. Might be worth going to see a women's health physio.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now