Talk

Advanced search

If you had a 3rd Deg tear with #2, would you go for a section with #3?

(7 Posts)
witsender Mon 10-Apr-17 13:35:42

Just that really...DS shot out like a rocket, less than an hour and a half from first contraction to placenta out. Delivered in the back of an ambulance. He was 9lbs11oz, so did quite a lot of damage on the way out. I ended up losing around 2.5l of blood and having a nasty 3rd deg tear repaired shortly after birth.

I am now pregnant with #3, and unsure what to do. MW have referred me to a consultant. I am worried about another speedy labour and what damage might be done, blood loss etc. So I'm not sure whether I should opt for a planned CS, which has been tentatively offered.

It is big surgery though, I don't know whether i would be silly to go for it. I have family nearby so while DH may have to go back to work fairly quickly, I would have help. But what if I take ages to heal?! But then again what if I go for a VB and feet badly injured again?

Help!

NameGotLostInCyberspace Tue 18-Apr-17 21:19:35

Tbh, I just would not risk it. I had a 4th degree tear, surgery and physiotherapy. Also handed a letter from gynecology stating highly recommended for cs if I was to have another.
But I have read of those that have, fair play to them. The stakes are just too high so would never consider a vaginal birth. Good luck with whatever you decide to dosmile

Ashmumtojack Wed 19-Apr-17 10:58:10

I had a 3c tear with my boy and after meeting with the consultant we have opted to go for a planned section this time around. My fear isn't even so much about damage that might happen with another natural birth just now, I'm thinking long term and having problems down below when I'm older.

HiDBandSIL Thu 20-Apr-17 08:44:36

Without question I would have a section. There's a significant chance of a further tear and the potential for long term issues connected to that would completely rule that option out for me. C-sections carry only a low risk of serious complications and are very safe for your baby. You have help and the recovery from most ELCSs is usually quick and straightforward.

Didiusfalco Thu 20-Apr-17 08:47:54

I had some damage and repair op after 1st dc. Opted for c-section with 2nd and I can honestly say that although a c-section isn't pleasant, it is way better than a bad vaginal birth. I wouldn't hesitate.

witsender Thu 20-Apr-17 09:56:15

I was lucky that i haven't had any ongoing issues from it, it was repaired​ immediately after birth and apart from a painful healing process it has been ok. I'm just nervous of ripping the whole lot open again! Especially as odds are I will have a speedy labour again.

I have the added complication now of just having had strep B picked up in a routine screen, so will need IV antibiotics as soon as I go into labour. Which given the speed of the last one may or may not work. Am leaning more and more towards a managed CS tbh

Blahblahblahyadayadayada Fri 21-Apr-17 03:18:58

Had a fourth degree tear so went on to have a CS and I don't regret it so far (only 3 weeks ago).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now