Talk

Advanced search

Ooops... had an Accidental Home Birth!

(16 Posts)
AWorkingMum80 Sun 09-Apr-17 21:15:02

Ironically my birth plan involved wanting to be nicely monitored in a lovely hospital, possibly a planned C-Section, and taking advantage of the wealth of medical experience available to us.

I did NOT ever envisage me having an Accidental Home Birth!

However, all worked out very well in the end. All of you strong mothers-to-be out there...never under-estimate how well you will manage on the day!

Feel free to read my full story below (it is a happy one honestly) and all the best to you all :-)

havingitall.family/2017/the-accidental-home-birth/

Silvercatowner Mon 10-Apr-17 08:06:36

Fantastic! Congratulations!

user1471558436 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:16:49

smile

L1L1Fracture Mon 10-Apr-17 08:19:58

3 posts all pushing your blog? hmm

booellesmum Mon 10-Apr-17 08:25:05

Wow! Congratulations.

dickiedavisthunderthighs Mon 10-Apr-17 08:25:05

There's a proper Bloggers section for things like this OP, so no need to spam the rest of the site.

Shadowboy Mon 10-Apr-17 08:42:35

A fun read! Congratulations too! I hope all is going well with both your boys x

Sandsnake Mon 10-Apr-17 08:49:44

Well I enjoyed reading it so thanks!

Congrats on the baby. smile

BigApple11 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:06:13

Absolutely brilliant...enjoy your baby moon x

whoknewitwastrue Mon 10-Apr-17 09:28:22

Could you not have just posted the story here?

DirtyDancing Mon 10-Apr-17 22:44:40

Huge congratulations! What an amazing story.

I was really shocked and somewhat disappointed that two out of the 3 medical professionals whom attended your home were not prepared to either support you or get involved in the birth. I would be complaining quite strongly about their handling of the situation and complete lack of respect and support they showed. The way it is written, it comes across that it was because they were male and either incapable or not experienced in childbirth. My understanding is, that any first response professional, or paramedic/ ambulance professional should be able to attend any medical emergency regardless as to whether it's a stabbing, domestic incident or childbirth etc etc.

ispymincepie Mon 10-Apr-17 23:00:52

First responders have about 5 days of basic training to attend heart attacks to administer life saving treatment. They are not supposed to attend trauma, gynae or alcohol related incidents. I'm a little horrified at the paramedic pulling the placenta out. I think keeping away was the best thing they could do.

AWorkingMum80 Tue 11-Apr-17 01:30:38

Thank you so much to those who enjoyed the story, I wrote it down because sometimes it is nice to look back and laugh and have a little light relief! I was excited to join Mumsnet and share - apologies to anyone who thought I was "spamming the site" :-s

Paramedics have an almost impossible job, to be fully prepared for everything, and I think the less experienced of the two was just relieved to be paired up with someone who had delivered babies before. A few of them have told me they deliberately pair up that way, think it was pure coincidence that he was the male lol. And the first responders do have very speedy training and did their bit, arrived and made sure I wasn't dying! Perhaps I will add a clarification that I am in no way unhappy with the role any of them played. Thanks for the feedback and sorry if the post was in the wrong place x

witsender Wed 12-Apr-17 19:59:27

Lovely! I had similar with #2, about an hour and a half start to finish but he appeared in the back of a speeding ambulance in front of a petrified Paramedic Pete. 😂

WineCheeseSleep Thu 13-Apr-17 23:30:29

Welcome to Mumsnet! Your story is so similar to mine - really long first birth then super short second. The paramedics didn't make it to us until after DD was born though so DH delivered by himself with help over the phone. I'm not sure I'd necessarily recommend it because of any potential complications but in all honesty it was a brilliant experience and much better for me than first time around!

AWorkingMum80 Fri 14-Apr-17 22:43:55

@WineCheeseSleep - wow, your DH did well to deliver with phone advice only! Was he calm? I bet it makes a great story now! Thanks for the welcome to MumsNet btw! @witsender I have spoken to a few paramedics who dread that scenario lol. You did well to make it into the ambulance! Stories like our are so much more common than we think :-D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now