Talk

Advanced search

Induction advice

(12 Posts)
fairiesandelves Sat 08-Apr-17 18:46:49

Hi
Daughter is 38 weeks tomorrow has high bp on meds now but being induced Monday - any advice/tips greatly appreciated - I'm one of her birth partners. Thanks all.

EdgarAllenPoe Sat 08-Apr-17 19:16:57

Be prepared for a lot of waiting around! Sometimes it happens fast, and sometimes it really doesn't. Mine took 22 hours but that was cut short by a csection as it just didn't work so who knows how long it could have gone on for.

Also be aware if the induction does fail (which it usually doesn't, I was unlucky) your only option is a csection. So best know who she wants in theatre as you're usually only allowed one person there.

Otherwise, just follow her lead like any other kind of birth. Good luck!

redexpat Sat 08-Apr-17 19:25:43

Take some entertainment. As pp said it can take 3 days or 3 hours. My first was 11 hours from suppository to holding my baby. My second took a little longer, 2 suppositories, then a prolongued delivery because they didnt work out she was back to back until they pulled her out with the vacuum cup. From 11am to 630 am the following day.

redexpat Sat 08-Apr-17 19:27:10

I dont think suppository is the right word. They stuck some sort of pill up my vagina.

Fairy45 Sat 08-Apr-17 20:23:32

Took me 3 pessaries and then my waters broke. Was induced suddenly at 11am sunday morning and gave birth 12.43pm on the tuesday!! I was 1cm dilated when induced too 😣but my SIL had 1 pessary and gave birth within 6 hours so depends on the person I think. But i agree take books magazines charger maybe ipad or something for the initial part if it drags and take towels and plenty of spare clothes for enough showers as i didnt and couldnt bloody shower for a few days 😂 as i say though mine was sudden wasnt booked and my partner was in too much of a flap to bring the correct stuff in! My SIL went in all prepared and was home with baby same day!! Good luck!!!

KarmaKit Sat 08-Apr-17 20:31:52

I've had two 38 week inductions. Number one they started at 10.30am waters had already gone and baby was born by 2.15pm the same day. Second took a little longer, they broke my waters for me. Started at about 10am again and he was born at about 5am the following morning.
Neither of those were active labour the whole time, and both were out in two pushes after only a couple of hours of serious contraction pain.

I was more prepared for the second one as it was a planned induction, we brought everything we needed with us and spent most of the day doing crosswords on the induction ward and taking walks around the hospital. Things to do are the most important things you can have!

DuggeeHugs Sat 08-Apr-17 21:51:13

I was induced for high bp at 39+2. It was 5 days before it ended in an EMCS (that bit was lovely). Take entertainment, plenty of change for snacks and the car park. It can be a bit boring, frustrating and an emotional rollercoaster.

Hopefully your DD won't have a long time of it, but go prepared in case a CS is required (big knickers, nightdress, etc, in hospital bag if you don't already have them packed).

fairiesandelves Sat 08-Apr-17 23:06:36

Thank you for everyone for such great advice. I'm going out tomorrow to get puzzle books, taking my Connect 4, getting change for parking. Packed charger for me. It seems there's no rules to how long it will take then - my first grand child and I'm beyond excited ! Just want to help DD as much as I can. Thanks so much smile

DuggeeHugs Sun 09-Apr-17 00:10:16

Good luck to your DD - the process is unpredictable but there's a lovely new human at the end of it smile

fairiesandelves Mon 10-Apr-17 10:00:42

Going in at 12pm for induction have got lots to keep us occupied. Am so excited to meet my grandson smile

fairiesandelves Fri 14-Apr-17 15:37:11

Bouncing baby boy arrived on Wednesday ! Those puzzles and word searches came in handy for me I can tell you!! Adult colouring books too. She's still in hospital as had to go to theatre as placenta adhered to womb wall. Lost lot of blood but just had a transfusion should be going home tomorrow. I am besotted and totally in love with the new arrival. smile

DuggeeHugs Fri 14-Apr-17 15:55:49

Congratulations to you all! Hope your DD is feeling better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now