Talk

Advanced search

Feedback on Lewisham hospital to have birth

(18 Posts)
user1491583343 Fri 07-Apr-17 17:46:45

Hello everyone,

I just had my first GP appointment to discuss my pregnancy and the doctor told me that I need to choose a hospital so she can refer me to the MW. Please share your experiences with me (positives and negatives) or if you live in the area and chose a different maternity or hospital let me know too.

Thanks so much!
R

TitaniasCloset Fri 07-Apr-17 17:50:01

I like it. I has my eldest and youngest there, but years ago. It was a ness when i had but daughter 23 but staff were good and when I had my youngest 18 they had fixed it up with a new maternity ward so I don't know what maternity is like now but when my dad has been in there they treat him very well.

TitaniasCloset Fri 07-Apr-17 17:50:45

Mess when I had dd I meant.

TitaniasCloset Fri 07-Apr-17 17:51:58

My dsis went st Marys I think, but the staff were so rude to us when we visited her. Didn't like the feel of it.

user1491583343 Fri 07-Apr-17 21:16:51

Thanks so much @titaniascloset

I think between St Thomas and Lewisham I probably choose the last one. St Thomas seems to be super busy all the time and Lewisham is closer to where I live.

EssentialHummus Fri 07-Apr-17 21:20:37

I'm only 19 weeks along but so far my antenatal care at Lewisham has been top-notch. I'm in Brockley so it was between Lewisham and Kings for me.

poppinz Sat 08-Apr-17 07:21:08

Had my dd there end of 2015, I really wanted the MLW birth centre which is lovely but had to be induced in hospital in the end. Staff were great, the ward I was induced on was a bit run down but the labour ward was fine. Had two sets of midwives due to length of my labour (epic!) and shift changes, first set were ok but 2nd set were wonderful and I'm sure contributed to me avoiding any intervention.
Post natal ward is shit but then most are unfortunately.

But if you have a complication free pregnancy and can get in the birth centre then I would definitely go for that!

SarahOoo Sat 08-Apr-17 07:56:57

Lewisham is my closest but I've chosen the PRUH at Farnborough...the birthing centre is just lovely. We did the tour the other week. Most of the NCT mums I know had theirs at the PRUH and have been full of praise.

tinymeteor Sat 08-Apr-17 08:05:25

I had DD there in 2014. Hoped to use the birth centre but I ended up being induced so was on the main labour ward. It was fine, I had nice midwives and the anaesthetist was really good looking grin

The postnatal ward was a bit grim but that's standard for London hospitals. Get a private room if you can.

The main downside to Lewisham is that there's hardly any parking for visitors. Other than that, no reason not to use it if it's your nearest.

wineapotamus Sat 08-Apr-17 08:29:36

Had an emcs there in 2011. Everything was great except for postnatal ward which I hated, but think I was traumatised and shocked. Had an elcs there 5 weeks ago and found it all great, but again, my state of mind may have had something to do with it. All antenatal appointments, meeting consultants etc were great.

user1491583343 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:56:09

Thanks so much ladies smile So great to know about your experiences.

I have decided to self referee myself to Lewisham and Greenwich Hospital.

Womble75 Sat 08-Apr-17 11:28:25

Gave birth there in 2013. Horrendous experience and my complaint was upheld and had a full written apology. I'd rather give birth in a bush than go there again.
Just had DS in another trust and the 2 experiences couldn't be more different.
Care during labour was awful and resulted in me getting an infection due to incompetence and the post natal care was non existent.
I'm not a special snowflake by any stretch of the imagination but I seriously hope they have improved things since.

SydneyCarton Sat 08-Apr-17 11:47:56

Had DD1 there in 2014. As others have said, the post natal ward is not great, although the staff were all lovely. I was there for three days (post C-section plus an extra night as she wasn't feeding so well) and I was climbing the walls by the end. DD2 was born there last year (VBAC) and we were there for 24 hours which was much better. Midwives, consultants etc all great, admin was a bit hit and miss though. Also second time round I was "out of area" as we'd moved house, so all my antenatal appointments were in a random community centre in Deptford and I never saw the same midwife twice in a row. Might just have been bad luck re annual leave or people changing jobs but it was rather annoying.

Tigerbear Sat 08-Apr-17 11:51:49

I gave birth there in 2011, and it was awful. I wish now that I'd made a formal complaint.
I arrived there bleeding quite heavily, but there was nowhere for me to sit and no rooms for me to be examined in, so ended up standing, leaning against a wall in the corridor for about an hour. Was supposed to be in the nice new birthing centre downstairs, but because of the bleeding I wasn't allowed to be considered to go there. In the end, DH was going mental that there was nowhere for me to lie down, so went off to the birthing centre to ask if I could just rest there until a room became available on the normal ward.
Whilst he was gone, one of the nurses came to get me and took me into one of the rooms, hooked me up to a machine to listen to the heartbeat, and bluntly told me that there was no longer a heartbeat! I'd had a midwife appointment just the day before and all was fine, so I was in total shock, all alone, utterly bewildered. The bitch nurse displayed not an ounce of compassion, didn't console me, nothing. Then about 10 min later she tried a different machine, and found a heartbeat! No apology, nothing, just 'oh, it was just the machine'. Unsurpringly my blood pressure went through the roof, and had to spend my labour hooked up to machines and monitors the whole time. DH hadn't been told where I'd gone, and spent ages trying to find the room I was in.

I'm convinced that all of this happening at the start, contributed to my labour pretty much stalling/failing to progress - I think my body went into shut down, and I hardly dilated, waters had to be broken artificially, then DD'S heart beat dropped, resulting in an emergency section. The ONLY good thing - apart from DD being delivered fine, obviously! - is that the surgeon and staff did a bloody great job of my section - the scar is tiny and hardly noticeable at all.

The aftercare was non existent and the ward was totally grim. I was struggling to look after DD after having the section, and couldn't wait to get out of there and go home.

RachelRagged Sat 08-Apr-17 11:52:48

Not much help as youngest DS is now 13 , but I had 3 of mine in Lewisham, all by Ceserean Section (medical reasons not too posh to push) and had no issues .. though one issue I suppose was the noise by other visitors (with DC4) but that was at least in visiting hours.

RachelRagged Sat 08-Apr-17 11:54:49

Oh yes , I was told I could give birth at Lewisham, Guys or St Thomas's . Quite liked the idea of the latter but as was pointed out to me, be pretty shite if trains were on strike and visitors would have had to drive that much further into Central London etc .

RachelRagged Sat 08-Apr-17 11:55:57

Tigerbear that is appalling treatment .

Tigerbear Sat 08-Apr-17 12:48:49

RachelRagged - it was, I just didn't realise at the time just how bad it was, as was just glad that DD was ok. I don't think it occurred to me for ages afterwards that it was really shocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now