Talk

Advanced search

Help! Failed pessary induction

(23 Posts)
user1491346857 Wed 05-Apr-17 00:19:00

Hi 👋
I'm currently in hospital at 41+6 and needing some advice!
I had a pessary inserted at about 1pm today and it caused me to have a reaction that felt like my down below was completely swollen and very very painful (I couldn't wee because it was swollen) the midwife ended up having to take the pessary out and I still felt red raw and in a lot of pain. The drs insisted she tried again and I was wishfully thinking it was inserted badly and that it would be ok.
When trying to put it in I was almost screaming with the pain and she didn't want to put me through it.
I am usually very tolerant to pain but this was unbearable!
My cervix is still closed and his head is only 1/5 engaged.
The doctors are going to come to see me shortly but the midwife thinks they are just going to insist on another pessary.
I feel like because of how absolutely raw this first one has made me a forced attempt of another will surely massively increase the pain of vaginal birth?
Will they put me on a drip with my cervix closed or is my only other option to have a c section?
I am feeling gutted I really wanted a drug free water birth in the MLU (the dream) and now everything seems complicated and finding it hard to get people to listen to me without them thinking I'm being overdramatic!
I am starting to think tht having a c section may be the best option if I may be here for days labouring for it to end like that anyways? But I fear I will just be treated like I want it so I can avoid labour as I want 'the easy option' (I know this isn't true at all) when in reality a c section was the last thing I wanted but is now seeming like the best option?
Sorry for the lengthy rambling post but just want some advice on what's best!
Thanks for any help
Jess x

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 05-Apr-17 00:27:47

Oh Jess flowers

Do you have a birthing partner? It may be time for them to step up and help you communicate. You say you're struggling to get your views across. Maybe say you just want to talk it over privately. Discuss with your partner so they're clear what you want so they can help and either speak for you or back you up.

Don't you worry what anyone thinks of you. They may. They may not. But that's irrelevant. All that's important is delivering this baby safely, and in a way in which you can be as comfortable with it as possible. Xxx

TheFlyingFauxPas Wed 05-Apr-17 00:31:27

And love. If there was a time where it is totally ok for you to be overdramatic, that time is now xx

DuggeeHugs Wed 05-Apr-17 01:08:55

Oh gosh. I had a failed pessary induction and recognise your description of the pain. Definitely talk to your birthing partner about options. The advice I wish I'd been given is that you do not have to agree to another pessary or further internal examinations given the pain. Be aware though that this will lead to a CS, so you need to feel comfortable with your choices (as far as is possible in your current situation).

If it helps, my induction ended with an EMCS and the CS was wonderful. I wish I'd known I could've stopped the induction earlier because it was 5 days from being admitted to the EMCS. I'm hoping for an ELCS this time too, in part because the actual birth was so positive compared to the induction.

SheSaidNoFuckThat Wed 05-Apr-17 01:14:19

Pessary never worked for me either but I didn't have the reaction you did, sounds awful.

I know it's the last thing you want to hear but babies come when they're ready - though hopefully you'll be dilated enough to have your waters broke soon. Good luck

Haudyerwheesht Wed 05-Apr-17 01:14:19

I had a pessary with dc2 but with DC1 I had gel I think - could you see if there's an alternative?? Wish I could remember sorry!

Fwiw my cervix only opened the teeny tiniest amount and I went on the drip and had ds naturally within 6 hours. Both births were on the drip and needing my waters broken etc but both born naturally with no assistance and no need for lots of pain relief. Inductions can be OK - I hope you have a positive experience.

Don't let them force you to do anything and ultimately remember that you want you and baby to be healthy and safe - how you get there isn't a contest or an ideal image, it's just a means to an end.

MsJuniper Wed 05-Apr-17 01:35:18

I had this - from the way the doctors treated me you'd think I was the only one.

I ended up having a CS as I couldn't bear having any more pessaries. My husband and mum had to advocate for me and brought up mental health concerns. It was a battle though. Good luck and I hope you have your baby very soon.

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Wed 05-Apr-17 08:47:05

You don't have to be induced at all. You can stay and they will monitor you regularly to make sure Baby is ok. They induce because of a higher risk of stillbirth, but the choice is ultimately yours. Obviously if there is a concern you need to listen to medical advice.
I was induced twice because of medical reasons. First time, baby wasn't ready and it was awful. Second time, my cervix was already 2cm dilated and favourable so they just broke my waters and 5 hours later DD was here.

EpoxyResin Wed 05-Apr-17 10:23:30

Prepared to be corrected on this but I think the drip doesn't work properly if your waters are intact, hence the pessaries to open your cervix first.

user1491346857 Thu 06-Apr-17 15:56:13

Thankyou so much for all your advice everyone, I tried to stick to my guns and really fight for the c section but was told about the horrific possible outcomes and that no dr will take me seriously without having tried another pessary. I accepted the pessary and after hours of extremely traumatic back to back labour I ended up having a c section as baby was in distress we both had an infection and our heartbeats had skyrocketed.
My epidural failed so had to be fully put to sleep to deliver and my baby boy had his first look into the world with neither of his parents, which completely breaks my heart.
As I tried to establish breastfeeding he momentarily stopped breathing and went blue being rushed away from me and put into neonatal where he is now being monitored.
I have got to hold my baby for around 10 minutes and im pretty angry and devasted that had my views been taken seriously we might all be in a better stage.
Sorry for the big rant but I am absolutely terrified and exhausted I just needed to vent

YoumeandlittleP Thu 06-Apr-17 16:06:26

You poor, poor woman. I don't have any advice as I've not been through the same interventions as you but I wanted you to know that it's OK to vent and rant and be annoyed!

The main thing is that you and your little boy are OK at the moment though. Is your birthing partner around still? Is there anyone there with you?

user1491346857 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:16:44

Both my partner and my mum are here now and he was unbelievably amazing throughout the whole process as I could see in his face just how hard it was all for him but he gave the upmost support, god knows how I would of been without him.
Thankyou I just really needed to talk about it somewhere as I'm reluctant to post about babies arrival to everyone as the congratulations from my family and friends don't feel right until he is out of neonatal.
I desperately need to sleep but am so worried about baby 😞. X

DuggeeHugs Thu 06-Apr-17 16:17:31

Oh Jess, flowers for you and your son but also congratulations on his arrival.

Rant away - you need an outlet. Hopefully you'll be back with your son very soon.

DuggeeHugs Thu 06-Apr-17 16:18:09

So sorry, cross post

babynelly2010 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:47:49

I don't want to discourage you from having baby as natural as possible but my plan if I go over is to refuse the induction and go straight into c-section. This is my 3rd. I had my dd and ds at mlu. First was a dream water birth although I would not normally describe it such that. Second one was a nightmare attempted water birth that very easily could of turned into a foetal death however due to skilled midwifes around that recognised that it was time to get out the water it all turned out to be ok but there was a lot of shit not sure who's, blood everywhere and just a delirium all around. I am pretty sure both dh and I had some level of pts for sometime after.
I guess my point is MLU is not a guaranteed dream birth. They don't give medals out for pushing a baby naturally to anyone. Csection is just another way nowadays to have a baby, and epidural are just another way to deal with pain. We are lucky to have these options at this modern age and there is no shame in using them.
Just may be think a bit more about what is the best thing for you and only you. And read up on induction outcomes... that often end up in emergency csections anyways as it was said before, body is just not ready.

babynelly2010 Thu 06-Apr-17 16:50:53

Omg I just read your following posts, I am glad all is fine now.
Bless you and your baby. So sorry about how it went but so happy all are fine :-)

MsJuniper Thu 06-Apr-17 22:25:28

So sorry you had such a traumatic time. Why won't they bloody listen to us. It makes me so angry.

Thinking of you and your lovely baby tonight. I hope he is building strength and able to come home soon. You will treasure every cuddle.

Be kind to yourself and make sure you are getting some support.

DirtyDancing Thu 06-Apr-17 22:25:28

So sorry to hear this happened to you. For now your focus will be on getting you and your baby strong and well. I just wanted to let you know about this charity for when you are ready to reflect on what has happened http://www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk

flowers

Haudyerwheesht Thu 06-Apr-17 22:28:45

I'm so sorry thy didn't listen to you that's inexcusable. What I'd do at the moment is focus on you and baby, he's got the best people looking after him. However once things settle consider complaining but that's something for another day, just use your energy recover. Be kind to yourself x

ButtonLoon Thu 06-Apr-17 22:38:22

Hi Jess, I had an awful painful reaction to the pessary and a crash c-section under general just like you. (Though baby didn't go blue or get taken away.) Be as kind to yourself as you can, and know that your baby will love you even if he didn't see you first.

Sleeepy Thu 06-Apr-17 23:17:41

Hi Jess
I'm so sorry you weren't listened to and you had the experience you did. Your beautiful son knows you're his mum and won't love you any tiny bit less for what happened. It's really horrible and I'm sure there will be a lot of tears over the next few days but it's OK to feel sad and angry about what happened. I'm saying that because I wish someone had said it to me five months ago when I gave birth in less than ideal circumstances. You're the whole world to your little man, congratulations xxx

clarabellski Fri 07-Apr-17 15:52:23

OP I hope things are improving for you and your little one flowers

If you want somewhere to talk about what happened to you, the Birth Trauma Association have a private facebook page and it is a very supportive group.

iMatter Fri 07-Apr-17 17:00:14

Hi OP, I've just seen this and wanted to offer you some moral support as well as to say congratulations n the birth of your baby.

I had exactly the same experience as you with ds1. Please do seek help from the Birth Trauma Association and within the hospital if you can. I had a visit at home about a week/10 days after the birth and it helped me hugely. We talked through the whole process, I could vent and rant and they listened and answered my questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now