Talk

Advanced search

Slow recovery from 2nd degree tear

(9 Posts)
Wonderflonium Sun 02-Apr-17 09:33:25

I gave birth 9 weeks ago. I had bilateral periurethral tearing which appears to have healed (only needed one stitch) and 2nd degree perineal tearing which hasn't.

The perineum seemed to be healing up nicely then at 5 weeks it really started to hurt, I had a look with a mirror and a flashlight, and some of the stitching had come loose and the thread had rubbed my skin raw. Went to the gynaecologist and she said it was normal, fine even and it could take a couple of months for the stitches to fully dissolve.

A month later, and I'm almost certain the stitches have gone... the thread that was causing the issue has definitely dissolved but I'm still rubbed raw around the entrance to my vagina. This makes sex impossible, and I would really like to have some sex now.

(I'd go to my doctor but I just had the 8 week check with my GP and she abandoned the internal exam because it hurt too much, so she's aware there's an issue but doesn't seem to be that bothered. It's such a faff to go there with a newborn only to be told that it's normal and just suck it up, buttercup)

Has anyone had similar? It looks like a graze. Any folk remedies for getting the skin to heal faster?

WantToGoingTo Sun 02-Apr-17 19:48:10

No experience with rubbing/grazing but I had a bad second degree tear and it took several months to heal. I too was fobbed off by dra to begin with so my advice would be give it another week or so and if no improvement insist that GP refer you back to gynae as you are concerned. My issue was much different to yours but could potentially be something to do with scar tissue causing the irritation? Worth mentioning anyway. Good luck op, you have my sympathies as I remember my recovery all too well...

WantToGoingTo Sun 02-Apr-17 19:49:44

Oh! One thing tho - are you breastfeeding? Skin takes longer to heal if breastfeeding due to lower levels of oestrogen in the body. I was given oestrogen pessaries for a while as they are meant to help skin soften and heal. Unfortunately didn't solve my issue but could ask about that too if you are breastfeeding!

littlenicky61 Sun 02-Apr-17 19:51:55

I had similar and only twice daily shallow baths with tea tree oil and lavender oil helped. I would probably ask to be referred to a gynae as things are easier to fix now than later on down the line .

Eeffy Sun 02-Apr-17 19:54:13

I was repeatedly told my botched episotomy was healing well. In the end it took 7 months involving 2 procedures to cauterise the excessive scar tissue and months of seeing a women's health physio to getting back to close to normal. Don't be fobbed off, demand to see a proper gynaecologist (i luckily had multiple midwives on my side)

Eeffy Sun 02-Apr-17 19:55:50

Oh! Just seen you are only 9wpp, not sure if it is unusual or not then! I thought you where 5months!

Goodiegumdrops Sun 02-Apr-17 20:01:33

I agree with @littlenicky61, I had teatree oil and lavendar oil but only a few drops added to a tiny saucer of milk (it's meant to help blend it into the water rather than sit on top of the water) then added to a bath. I felt it helped me. Ordered it all from amazon as I wanted it asap! I suffered like you but it does get better and it after I stopped breastfeeding, sex was back to being fab - for both of us! wink

BMacklin Sun 02-Apr-17 21:00:08

Ah I feel for you. I took ages to heal from a second degree tear and could barely stand. I found my Dr unsympathetic too. Arnica is supposed to help with healing (not sure how true). Boots do Arnica bath stuff. Keep pestering the doc to check it though if you worried. I found it helpful to take my husband for emotional support. Part of the trouble I found was that there can be internal damage so they can't see much anyway. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Wonderflonium Mon 03-Apr-17 09:47:56

thanks all! I am breastfeeding, so maybe it's the oestrogen levels. I will give it a couple of weeks and then go back to the docs. They have a student doc there who I have a better relationship with, I'll see if I can get an appt with her.

Arnica, essential oils and a sitz bath, coming right up. This is amazon's lucky day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now