Talk

Advanced search

TMI! Lactilose

(11 Posts)
charlie13032017 Sat 01-Apr-17 19:55:12

Right.. so I have the horrible piles and constipation problem going on here!
My first poo after birth wasn't that bad but now 3 weeks later I've suddenly got piles and constipated which isn't helping the piles whatsoever! I haven't pooed in 3 days..
I've increased my fibre loads and I'm constantly downing water but that doesn't seem to be doing much.
Health visitor told me to buy some lactulose and I have but I just need some questions answered really.
How long does it take to work?
How many ml shall I take?
Do I add it to another drink or drink it in its own?
Just really want to poo sad
Thank you!

RedBugMug Sat 01-Apr-17 20:00:04

it works not instantly but takes a good few hours - a day.
it's a sugary syrup that you take a few times a day. about a shot glass full.
good luck

Sittinginthesun Sat 01-Apr-17 20:03:55

Poor you. Lactulose worked well for me - it tastes quite nice, and you can just drink it by the spoonful. It doesn't go into your system, it just slides through you. It will have details on the bottle.

charlie13032017 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:32:14

I just don't want to accidentally take too much and give myself diarrhea!
Am I best taking it first thing in the morning or before I go to bed?
I should've asked the pharmacist really, but I was kind of embarrassed, so I paid and ran lol!

BeeMyBaby Sat 01-Apr-17 20:36:34

I found it took about 10-15mls, I love the stuff, it's delicious! I don't think it causes diarrhoea, just makes it much softer and easy to pass. If you are bfing then start drinking a lot more water as it could be dehydration causing the issue as you tend to just forget to drink.

BrutusMcDogface Sat 01-Apr-17 20:38:04

Be warned: it gave me horrendous wind before any actual poo! grin

But yes, it worked. Instructions on bottle but I think I had about 10-15 ml at bedtime and maybe again in the morning?

Good luck!

WantToGoingTo Sat 01-Apr-17 21:05:53

15ml twice a day was what I was told by a dr. (15ml is about a capful). Takes about 48hrs to work, and does make you v windy! If that doesn't work get some suppositories as they make you go within 60mins

charlie13032017 Sat 01-Apr-17 21:26:31

Yeah just taken 15ml now (measurements on cap)
I can deal with windy, my partner may dread being with me though lol!
& I didn't know you get suppositories to help you poo? I have germaloid suppositories but they're for the piles!
I should've never waited over a week for my first poo after childbirth, I think that's what caused my problem!

WantToGoingTo Sun 02-Apr-17 07:30:16

Yes you can get a suppository to make you poo! Called constipation relief can get at a pharmacy. Only for use in real dire circumstances where it's all impacted but it does work! Had the joy of using it once and it did make me poo in 45mins

toadierocks Sun 02-Apr-17 18:23:09

Syrup of figs....3 very large spoonfuls! might take 12 hours but that'll get you going smile

froofroomcgoo Mon 03-Apr-17 18:29:49

mine took two hours to work. I then shat myself. Was awful. But I have ibs so things do do funny things to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now