Talk

Advanced search

any positive induction stories??

(15 Posts)
musicmomma Thu 30-Mar-17 18:26:28

I'm going to be induced next week at 40 weeks as a precaution due to baby's growth and I wasn't worried until today there has been horror story after horror story of failed inductions, emcs, 5 day labours etc etc. Is this what I am in for?? I wasn't offered a c section, should I ask if this is an option? Has anyone had an easy, positive induction story at all??

Losgunna Thu 30-Mar-17 18:43:53

Hi musicmomma

I was induced with my ds due to pre eclampsia at 40 weeks.

Had two pessaries which only resulted in minor contractions and not leading anywhere.

I was petrified of the drip but it was what I needed. I asked for an epidural first and they were perfectly happy to oblige, didn't have to wait long either, about an hour.

Once that was in and working I was totally pain free for a few hours and had a sleep.

It did get painful towards the end as it stopped working as well on one side and crowning hurt because they had to turn it off so I could push.

All in all, 26 hour labour with a healthy baby and a second degree tear (which was more likely because ds wasn't facing the right way than anything else).

I had in my birth plan to go for c section over keilands forceps though and would strongly recommend that every pregnant woman does. They just too bloody dangerous for both. mother and baby.

Good luck and congratulations!

NEmum Thu 30-Mar-17 19:15:31

Mine was great!

Induced 36+6 as waters had broken 24 hours earlier.

Had one pessary inserted at 1.30pm, refused the drip as I couldn't have an epidural & was scared of a sharp escalation in pain.

Used a tens machine & relaxation to help me through the contraction build up. Fully dilated at 11.30pm although my contractions then slowed down...gorgeous healthy baby born at 3am! The latter part was exhausting but we got there without any damage down below (Bar a couple of grazes which healed within 3 days).

Listen to your body. you will get through it!!

NEmum Thu 30-Mar-17 19:16:39

Btw it obviously hurts but it was manageable X

pinkblink Thu 30-Mar-17 19:18:40

I was induced late evening, puffed away on gas & air in the bath a few hours later to help with pain, he was born just under 9 hours after first pessary, was lovely and no more painful than my first

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 30-Mar-17 19:27:53

Yes had awful problems during birth 1 so was induced a bit early in birth 2. It did stop and start a bit (started off on Saturday contractions started and then stopped and then they were busy and started me off again on Sunday evening. DS arrived at 7am Monday - just gas and air, no stitches, a far better birth all round.

Hand hold and flowers

katiegg Thu 30-Mar-17 19:33:01

Hi, I was induced at term with ds2 due to concerns about his size (measuring very big!)

It went absolutely fine, i was given the pessary at around 10.30am and around 1.30 commented to my husband that i was feeling very mild cramps. By 3.30 i was climbing the walls and told the midwife to take the pessary out, i was going home! She examined me and i was 8cm. Baby was born shortly before 7pm, straight-forward vaginal delivery and i only pushed for around 30mins. I did have an episiotomy but i requested this rather than risking a tear.

I hope all goes well for you too.

DuggeeHugs Thu 30-Mar-17 19:56:38

Hopefully all will go well for you, but bear in mind that you are allowed to say no and to ask for clarification. You're obviously aware things don't always go to plan, so have a little think beforehand about where you want to draw your lines, just in case.

Good luck - I hope all goes smoothly flowers

blue2014 Sat 01-Apr-17 13:05:56

You know, I had one of those horror stories you read and honestly the second he was born it didn't matter at all. I know that might not help right now but sometimes even your worse case scenario isn't as bad as you predict

smilingsarahb Sat 01-Apr-17 13:11:17

I had an induction for my second. It worked. Some things were harder than my first labour and other things easier. I had a very low patch mid labour where I was convinced I was going to need a c section anyway because I'd heard of no one having a sucessful induction that just ended with a normal birth. The midwife nicely said how many worked and how well it was going and after that it was fine. I think it helped it was a second birth though.

crapfatbanana Sat 01-Apr-17 23:36:14

I was induced at 35 weeks because of pre eclampsia. I was already 3cm dilated to begin so they put an epidural in and went straight to breaking my waters to accelerate things. Five hours later I was guided to push (with an audience of about 20 as it was twins) and after an episiotomy because my first twin was having heart decelerations I delivered a boy (head first) and 14 minutes later a girl (breech.)

It was as smooth an experience as I could have hoped for in the circumstances.

Ginlinessisnexttogodliness Sun 02-Apr-17 12:17:36

Both my two babies were induced. I had great, really quick labour and no intervention or assisted delivery required. Home the same day and next morning respectively as it was almost midnight when baby was born.

EnglandKeepMyBones Sun 02-Apr-17 12:26:40

I loved my induction with DD2.

I had a spontaneous onset with DD1 and the entire labour and delivery was a shit show. Resulted in huge problems, including me almost dying in the shower afterwards. I was petrified of delivering second time round, even more petrified of a medicalised labour as that had been part of the issue first time around. Ended up going through therapy at 6 months pregnant as they realised I had PTSD.

They ended up inducing DD2 at 40 weeks due to my medical issues and I loved it. Completely different experience (different hospital tbf). The midwives were lovely. I had the pessary at 9am, but they couldn't give another one as I was having contractions after 6 hours. They managed to break my waters, moved me to delivery and I'd had her by 7am the next morning. No drama, no catastrophe (like I'd spent 9 months worrying about). Just a really positive experience.

Not everyone ends up with a positive labour story, but it doesn't really matter how the labour started - things can go wrong no matter what, it very rarely has anything to do with the fact you had an induction, or a c-section. Some of the most positive birth stories I've heard from friends have been induction or c section.

RMC123 Sun 02-Apr-17 14:53:08

I have been induced 4 times for various different reasons. One 40 Wks + 14 days, two at term and one 40 Wks + 7 days. Each time I only needed one pessary. All labours between 4 and 12 hours. First one was a forceps delivery but that was due to his position, nothing to do with induced. Last one was a water birth despite being induced. Nothing but positive. Good luck x

plutohasfeelingstoo Sun 02-Apr-17 14:57:11

I had a pessary at 12pm for dd, no pain until my waters broke at 5pm and then had dd at 10.30pm. She was my first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now