Talk

Advanced search

Contractions slowed down :-(

(11 Posts)
Sylvie78 Thu 23-Mar-17 15:43:04

Hello,

Went to Maternity triage at 6 this morning having had contractions for 12 hours which had got to 3-4 minutes apart - obviously then then slowed down when got there and midwife who examined me said i was only 2cm and sent me home saying the contractions should be stronger than they were (they felt pretty strong to me!). When we got home, contractions had slowed and have been back to one every 10- 20 minutes since, so i am getting a bit disheartened! Has anyone experienced this? Thanks!

SierraJensen Thu 23-Mar-17 15:54:12

Yes, I had this for days (sorry). It was very painful as my DD was back to back and so after days of contractions which started off every five minutes or so then changed to 10-15 minutes and back again, I was still only 2cm. It was exhausting. I found a tens machine really helped with the pain until I got into hospital. I was also anxious as I hadnt realised labour would be like that, and it seemed as though it wouldn't initially take too long. Try to eat and sleep and save your strength if you can.

SierraJensen Thu 23-Mar-17 21:16:52

How are you doing now? Thinking of you and hoping you are soon having lovely baby cuddles

Sylvie78 Thu 23-Mar-17 21:48:49

Hi,
Thanks for replying! Just got sent home again, feel like a right time waster - Went back as contractions had become really painful, but apparently not painful enough as still only 2cm! I may have cried..... it's so frustrating!

Toobloodytired Thu 23-Mar-17 21:50:31

If you go back again & get told the same, you can refuse to leave.

They have to manage the pain

SierraJensen Thu 23-Mar-17 22:16:54

Oh it's definitely a real nightmare, to go through all that and be told only 2cm! I felt better standing up rather than staying in bed...which was exhausting after several nights. As the pp said just refuse to leave the hospital if you're in that much pain. I eventually got admitted due to high bp/possible pre eclampsia so at least I got pain relief. Such a weird pattern of contractions was never discussed in antenatal classes so it was a bit unnerving too...but I have since discovered it is not as uncommon as I thought. Hang in there, you can do this!

Nickanickname Thu 23-Mar-17 22:29:44

I had that with both of mine. Took two days the first time before they sped up. Once things got going they did go pretty quickly, and smoothly, though which made up for it! Someone said the initial set of close together contractions might have been babies head engaging, and then there's a bit of a break before labour kicks off in earnest. Good luck!

NotTheBelleoftheBall Thu 23-Mar-17 22:43:59

This happened to me too! My one piece of advice (which I wish I'd listened to) is to walk, walk, walk (in between napping as much as you are able), do everything you can to keep that head engaged and pushing down.

Your baby will be here soon!

Mungobungo Thu 23-Mar-17 22:45:10

It sounds like standard latent phase of labour, which can ramp up, then be knocked off by adrenaline of going into hospital or even something as minor as a change in activity. Hang in there and don't be too disheartened. Try not to focus on the 2cm thing if at all possible. Your body is trying to labour, it's just not quite there yet. Rest when you can, eat, drink, wee regularly (very important) and move around when you can.

If you've got a TENS, get it on and working, if not, ask the hospital if they have one for you to lend. If they don't, try a warm bath or shower and try some paracetamol and a lie down in a dark room, sometimes a nice warm cuddle with partner may help increase your oxytocin levels (and if not may help you to relax and cope with the pain a bit easier).

Things like nipple stimulation or snogging your partner can also help boost the oxytocin (your labour hormone), but that's a personal preference.

If you're struggling with pain, try to visualise a safe place or a favourite place which makes you feel safe and relaxed and as each contraction builds, imagine you're walking toward it, as it fades, imagine you're walking away.

Stomping can also help - as you feel the contraction build, stomp your feet (or rub them together if lying down) hard. What this does is distracts you, keeps you mobile but also blocks the signal you'll get from your womb as you have more nerve endings in your feet and your brain won't be able to process both pain signals. So stomp stomp stomp hard and focus on the sensations in the soles of your feet until contraction goes. If you can, stomp in the shower as the warmth will help and the water under your feet will add an extra sensory distraction and your brain will focus on that rather than the contractions.

Try a hot water bottle or a bit of massage (a tennis ball can be a great help) and remember to sigh out slowly as you breathe - make your out breath longer than your in breath and try to drop your shoulders away from your ears as you breathe out. The trick is to relax when you can and distract when you can't relax.

Hang in there, you can do it!!

jlou2015 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:57:29

This happened to me for 2 weeks and I was a week overdue then boom. He makes an arrival with shocking contractions which should be named kettle prods as it feels like electricution to me. BUT if you feel in doubt of many movements etc GO to the hospital. I hope you had a safe birth. Enjoy

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Sat 25-Mar-17 17:02:48

I'm afraid I had this. Try to sleep when they slack off.

I had baths which seemed to help (take off a tens machine before you hop in).

Walking
Bouncing on my ball - watching Dallas re-runs for distraction 😄

It's important to try to sleep if you can as it will be a long day/days otherwise.

Good luck 🤞

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now