Talk

Advanced search

Best painkillers for after pains?

(25 Posts)
RedCrab Tue 21-Mar-17 19:56:24

I've heard they get worse with each subsequent child. Certainly true to form for me - barely noticed them with DC1, but they took my breath away wirh DC2 - particularly during BFing, which makes sense.

Almost 39 weeks with DC3 so just wanting to have some ready. Expectation to breastfeed so what's best to have on hand - and strongest? grin

SlaveToDisney Tue 21-Mar-17 20:01:30

Mine were so bad when breastfeeding dd3 I went to the doctors and they prescribed me some strong painkillers I went in and actually begged them for gas and air though so think they wanted rid of me grin. I would have co-codamol on hand or alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol every 2 hours and see how you get on.

RedCrab Tue 21-Mar-17 20:11:32

Thanks! Can you buy co-codemol over the counter? Did you try to time with bfing? Though I guess alternating every two hours means you're covered for each BF anyway.

SlaveToDisney Tue 21-Mar-17 20:16:42

Yes you can buy co-codamol over the counter I get mine from lloyds pharmacy. I do find the alternating ibuprofen and paracetamol better though and yes tried to time it for about 20 mins before breastfeeding but it didnt really work out well with the newborn. I also made sure that I had ny hot water bottle when feeding as thats when they were the worst.

RedCrab Tue 21-Mar-17 20:21:30

Nature is such a cruel mistress!

Thanks for the tips. Really helps. They were horrendous last time and completely took me unaware.

SlaveToDisney Tue 21-Mar-17 20:27:06

Isnt she just!

You're welcome I was the same ds1 harsly noticed them dd2 and I was in pain but painkillers took the edge off and made them bearable but with dd3 the after pains were terrible I think when she was 3 days old I was sobbing whilst feeding her and begged dh to call an ambulance. (For the record I may have been overreacting wink)

RedCrab Tue 21-Mar-17 20:30:42

Haha. "There's another baby coming!"

Oh god I'm not looking forward to it.

AndKnowItsSeven Tue 21-Mar-17 20:33:39

co codamol isn't safe when breastfeeding
Is co-codamol safe to take during breastfeeding?
If you are breastfeeding you should not take co-codamol.
Paracetamol and codeine may pass into breast milk in amounts that are probably too small to be harmful in most people. However, because some people metabolise codeine in a slightly different way that can increase the risk of getting side effects from the medicine, it is recommended that women who are breastfeeding do not take codeine. It is impossible to predict which women and babies will metabolise codeine differently. Potential side effects in a nursing baby may include drowsiness or sedation, difficulty breastfeeding, vomiting, breathing difficulties and floppiness.
If you do breastfeed, you should stop taking co-codamol and consult your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical care if your baby shows any of the symptoms just mentioned.

Lovelilies Tue 21-Mar-17 20:36:51

They are awful grin
I found it helped to visualise what was actually happening sorry if TMI (uterus contracting and getting rid of anything no longer needed, it's what your body is meant to do) I guess I just tried to ride it out, by trusting my body to do what it was meant to do iyswim?
fwiw they were only really bad at the start of each feed and they lasted a few days.
I used my hypno birthing techniques, deep breathing, conscious relaxation and it really helped.
Good luck flowers

surroundedbyblondes Tue 21-Mar-17 20:40:24

I was prescribed Naproxen after DD2. I don't know if you can get it over the counter.

RedCrab Tue 21-Mar-17 20:42:25

Ahhh And thanks for C&Ping that info! Is paracetamol and ibuprofen ok to take with breastfeeding?

This time I'm also planning on continuing with the Evening Primrose Oil and Raspverry Leaf Tea because I've read they can help generally. I think this time being a bit more prepared for them mentally will help - and using hypno birthing breathing too! I was so taken abaack - I remember one of the night feeds early on and I was gasping in pain!

AndKnowItsSeven Tue 21-Mar-17 20:45:03

Yes paracetamol and ibuprofen alternated are fine. The after pains after my twins were far more painful than labour. If I hadn't know what they were I would have thought something was seriously wrong.

Womble75 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:48:02

Midwives gave me co-codamol for mine and I was expressing... confused was the only Thing that touched them. They were brutal!

Blazedandconfused Wed 22-Mar-17 09:48:42

In the build up to delivery I started on paracetamol every 4 hours. As soon as ds2 was born started alternating with ibuprofen.

Built up in my system nicely and really helped. By about day5 I was on 2 in the morning and 2 of the other before bed. So quite a short term thing really.

Sewingbeatshousework Wed 22-Mar-17 09:57:31

I took the prescribed cocodamol (30/500) throughout my last pregnancy and breastfeeding, and am taking it through this pregnancy too. I've been told very little actually goes into your milk (similar to alcohol) however if you've never taken codine before then I would be wary of side effects.

I would stock up on paracetamol & ibuprofen as suggested and then if needed ask about taking cocodamol. This is DC3 I'm expecting and had actually forgotten all about the afterpains (although I has been 8 years...)

AndKnowItsSeven Wed 22-Mar-17 11:02:56

The guidance on codeine has changed in the last few years.

Helspopje Wed 22-Mar-17 11:10:44

I took 1g paracetamol and 400mg ibuprofen together 4x/d by the clock. Ibiprofen inadequate so upgraded it to naproxen or diclofenac alongside the paracetamol (had left over from previous mastitis)

Lovelilies Wed 22-Mar-17 13:54:46

That's a bit bonkers Blazed.
You took analgesia before the birth to counteract after pains?
Can't imagine that was on medical recommendation

clarabellski Wed 22-Mar-17 16:12:17

warning if you've never taken cocodamol before - it can make you feel very nauseous.

Blazedandconfused Thu 23-Mar-17 20:08:14

They floored me first time round- wanted to be ready.

Not so bonkers really tho, spent 24hours on induction ward, started taking painkillers then- also hoping it would help with the early labour pain.

LotisBlue Thu 23-Mar-17 20:10:37

I used the tens machine and Paracetamol

Daffydil Thu 23-Mar-17 20:18:34

I was given codiene in hospital (was in until day 4) whilst breastfeeding. This was 1 yr ago.

It was the only thing that touched them for me.

lljkk Thu 23-Mar-17 20:32:48

Cocodamol was prescribed for me & it worked.

WantToGoingTo Sun 02-Apr-17 20:10:38

Diclofenac was the only drug that worked for me and the only thing they would prescribe for me when breastfeeding. It isn't recommended to take ibuprofen when breastfeeding. Don't know about cocodomol but I certainly wasn't offered any of that in 2015

CSLewis Tue 04-Apr-17 20:49:05

It used to be the case that ibuprofen wasn't recommended whilst breastfeeding, but that advice was changed a couple of years ago - my midwives updated me.

I'd also say to religiously alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen: set alarms on your phone and just take them round the clock for the first 4-7 days. Doing that really helped me with my last baby (and she was my 7th, so the after-pains would have been absolutely brutal, judging by no. 6!) - but I honestly barely felt a twinge!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now