2nd DC - labour after Episiotomy

(7 Posts)
KLG3101 Sun 19-Mar-17 22:15:51

With my 1st DD I went into full labour at around 9pm following contractions from 6pm. She was born at 1254am so really quick first time labour. I had an episiotomy resulting in a 3A grade tear/cut.

DD is 13months and I'm 15 weeks pregnant. Any advice on labour following this? I healed really quickly and feel hardly any different to before I had her.

sems Sun 19-Mar-17 22:18:12

I had episiotomy with both, same age gap. No problems really with increased scar tissue...

RedCrab Mon 20-Mar-17 10:27:41

I had a really good homebirth - with stitches after - with DC2 after episiotomy and forceps with DC1. Only needed pain relief for the stitching part.

LulusMiniEgg Tue 21-Mar-17 11:40:54

I had a brilliant first birth but did end up with an episiotomy, it also healed fine like yours did.
Had DD last week, also fab birth even though it was induced (3hrs), no tears, just a couple of grazes, no stitches required! A week later I feel great, so much better than with DS.
Good luck, you will be fine x

mistermagpie Tue 21-Mar-17 12:46:02

I had a really fast for my first birth with DS, 2 hours start to finish, and ended up with an episiotomy. I'm 38 weeks pregnant with DC (age gap will be 20 months) and nobody has mentioned it at all. My episiotomy was due for revision last October because a ridge the scar tissue was making sex uncomfortable but this was obviously cancelled because I was pregnant. I'm sort of hoping a second birth sorts this out but that might be wishful thinking! I'm working on the assumption that I'll need another one but, as I say, no HCP has mentioned it so far.

DoctorMonty Tue 21-Mar-17 20:07:24

It shouldn't impact you. The evidence for episiotomy is poor/conflicting, so it might be good to think about how happy you'd be to have another. Whether the episiotomy "resulted in" a 3a tear or prevented a worse tear is a matter of highly contested opinion!

KLG3101 Wed 22-Mar-17 15:59:47

Thank you so much. I think consultants like to go for worst case situation. I was really relaxed about giving birth last time round and want to feel positive without worrying about this birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now