Talk

Advanced search

41 weeks, sweep, lost plug, now what?!

(14 Posts)
Cupcakemumma123 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:26:03

A slightly desperate post searching for success stories and similar experiences that ended with a baby in the not too distant future!!
So I'm 40+6 today with dc2, had my first sweep yesterday morning, MW said cervix was soft and approx 3cm dilated and she was confident I would have a good result as cervix was favourable.
Had irregular and non painful tightenings yesterday, lost my plug this morning I think but probably only a handful of tightenings today.
DTD last night, lots of bouncing on the ball today, can't walk far due to what I think is a groin strain which is just agony.
Coming on for 36 hours post sweep and beginning to feel really disheartened. Was induced with dd1 for reduced movements at 39 weeks and it was dreadful. Just desperate to go into labour naturally with this baby.
Any similar experiences that resulted with spontaneous labour soon after? Or any tips??
Second sweep in 3 days (Fri) if still no baby.
TIA smile x

ShowOfHands Tue 14-Mar-17 17:44:54

It all sounds really positive! Personally, I'd take all of this as good news and do whatever the feck I wanted for the last hours and days. You can't speed things up and tbh, it doesn't sound like you need to. You ARE progressing.

ILikeSalmon Wed 15-Mar-17 20:52:27

Sounds to me like it will happen soon

I had a sweep and despite the midwife telling me "oh wow you will definetly have this baby very soon"
I went another 12 days and had to be induced

So the fact you've had all those other happenings I would say you're close. Good luck!!

Wonderflonium Thu 16-Mar-17 06:44:29

Yeah, this is going to be a live-labour thread real soon. Good luck wink

chocaholic123 Thu 16-Mar-17 07:06:17

If you can, keep active and busy. Time will go quicker and it can help move things along. Labour is so unpredictable, it could happen within the nexr hour, or you could be waiting another week. It does sound promising though. I went into labour with my youngest 12 hours after a sweep at 40+2, where the consultant told me she wasn't expecting things to happen as it was difficult to do the sweep and she was expecting to see me again the following week.

Good luck!

RNBrie Thu 16-Mar-17 07:11:04

You still have a whole week before they should be recommending an induction and that's ages! Your plug has gone and you're already 3cm dilated so that baby is on its way. You probably had the baby overnight and this thread is irrelevant grin

Cupcakemumma123 Thu 16-Mar-17 13:44:07

Thank you all for your responses! Wish I didn't need the thread anymore but no such luck, had my second sweep this morning, MW said I was now 4cm dilated and cervix soft and shorter then on Monday. Now 40+8 with induction booked for 40+12 (Mon).
Desperate to go into labour naturally before then so been bouncing on the ball and thinking happy baby thoughts!! hmm

RNBrie Thu 16-Mar-17 23:23:22

See how you do over the weekend. You can always ask to push the induction back a day or two to give yourself more time. They'll want to do additional monitoring though which is a faff. There is still lots of time!

annlee3817 Thu 16-Mar-17 23:30:08

I was 2-3cm dilated on my sweep and she could stretch to 4cm, labour started 4 days later, and lasted just over five hours. Fingers crossed you pop before induction and that as you're already 4cm it will mean things progress a little quicker smile

bakingcupcakes Thu 16-Mar-17 23:45:16

I lost my plug at 41 weeks and had DS at 42+1. I refused induction at 10 days over and opted for daily monitering instead. As long as baby's happy I don't think induction's necessary.

I can imagine this must feel so long in comparison to your first though! I finished work at 38 weeks thinking I'd gone right to the end and ended up off for a month before!

peaceloveandbiscuits Thu 16-Mar-17 23:45:51

Late to the party I see, but I was 2cm dilated when I had a sweep, waters broke 12 hours later, baby was born another 6 hours after that smile good luck.

natienka Fri 17-Mar-17 06:38:41

I was recommended acupuncture, apparently it works wonders to bring about labour!

Cupcakemumma123 Tue 21-Mar-17 05:07:13

Thank you all for your responses. Sweep number 2 did in fact work for me and my little girl was born in the early hours of the 17th. So elated I went into labour at Home and avoided induction smile x

Orangedaisy Tue 21-Mar-17 05:09:46

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now