Talk

Advanced search

Hypnobirthing [hmmm]

(6 Posts)
Mustbeinsane1984 Sun 12-Mar-17 22:08:39

Thought I would give this a try as hopefully would like a water birth and thought it would come in handy...

I have read loads online and have finally got some apps on my phone. The problem is that I get 3 mins in to the guided affirmations and i am asleep!

Yes I have normal pregnancy tiredness but surely I have to have some level on concentration if this has to work! Not sure if the falling asleep is a good thing or not.

Maybe it's just not for me.....

Anyone out there with same experience? K

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sun 12-Mar-17 22:13:18

I did hypnobirthing twice and I would recommend it. Painless birth, without drugs or tearing, what's not to like? I didn't bother too much with visualisation, affirmation etc, they are nice and I still occasionally use meditations to go to sleep. But for the actual birth, just the breathing and relaxation was fine, I couldn't cope with anything involving more concentration. I would say try it, go with the bits that work for you and don't worry about the bits that don't. It's all about being able to relax so falling asleep is great when practising!

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sun 12-Mar-17 22:14:05

Oh I also had a water birth with my second and it was great, lots easier to relax.

Turtlebay Sun 12-Mar-17 22:15:37

I tried to read up on hypnoburthing but found it really difficult to get into and the bf sent me to sleep!
That said, I did learn about visualisation techniques that I went on to find very useful during my waterbirth.
Could you perhaps find a group session to take part in that might make it easier to learn?

Gardenbirdy Sun 12-Mar-17 22:19:03

I had exactly the same experience as you Mustbeinsane!
And when it came to actual labour, I forgot pretty much everything. So for me it wasn't really helpful for birth, although it was obviously very relaxing to listen to smile

annlee3817 Mon 13-Mar-17 14:24:53

I fell asleep everytime that I listened to the CD. I made sure I read the book too though as much as i could and mainly took the breathing techniques from it, found it very helpful in labour despite sleeping through most of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now