Talk

Advanced search

Inducing labour with breast pump

(8 Posts)
Mouse510 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:47:12

I'm 40+5 with DC1 and not really had any niggles yet. I had an aromatherapy massage on Wednesday and then an (unsuccessful) sweep yesterday, baby's head isn't far enough down yet. The midwife told me about another lady who used her breast pump for nipple stimulation successfully and then told me that she did not advise it.

So, of course, I did some googling, and decided to give it a try this afternoon, since then I've had a bit of tightening across the top and front of my bump but not what I would imagine a contraction to feel like.

Has anyone had any luck with using a breast pump? Is this tightening the start of things?

WantToGoingTo Sat 11-Mar-17 20:47:42

No but this sounds amazing?! Be very interested to hear results!

gigi556 Sun 12-Mar-17 07:07:25

No experience here but nipple stimulation is supposed to help as it helps release oxytocin. I think I would have preferred a breast and nipple massage from my partner tho!!!!

skerrywind Sun 12-Mar-17 07:12:20

In theory it could work. I was breastfeeding throughout my second pregnancy and my baby was still late though!

nc060 Sun 12-Mar-17 08:33:42

Worked for me!!

glitterglitters Sun 12-Mar-17 18:04:00

I have read that you would need to be stimulating for a large number of hours for this to work.

Mouse510 Sun 12-Mar-17 19:17:32

Thanks for replies. I've done a few sessions as per instructions I found online but hasn't done anything yet sad

DoingTheSwanThing Sun 12-Mar-17 19:20:44

If you hand express you'll probably get colostrum, which you could collect and freeze in case any early feeds/top-ups required ;)
(Made me tighten, didn't make me labour but did keep 35 weekers from needing formula)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now