Talk

Advanced search

Loooong early labour.... help!

(16 Posts)
Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 16:56:42

My poor sister has been in early labour for 48 hours now... painful contractions, plug is gone and bloody show but they're just not getting any more regular. She's been for walks, bumpy drives and has been bouncing on her ball, but to no avail. She's had baths and she's trying to rest if she can but bless her, she's getting fed up with it and no wonder. I was induced so I didn't have any of this, once I was off I was off... so I have no real idea of how to help!

Any tips to get this show on the road for her? I can't be there as we live 150 miles apart, but I'm trying to help as much as I can.

ElspethFlashman Wed 08-Mar-17 17:01:15

I'm not sure there's a whole lot you can do tbh.

I was in early labour for two days with my last, post waters breaking. I was in hospital and the consultant was incredibly laid back about it. There were 3 other women in the room who were also in very early labour. One had been in for 3 days. It sucked!

Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 17:08:13

It truly does suck, doesn't it? Ridiculous system, the whole process.

I took about 18 hours start to finish, which seemed like forever but looking back, I was so lucky!

LottieL Wed 08-Mar-17 17:12:34

I've been in early labour since last Friday! I was checked on Sunday and found to be 2cm dilated, and my plug went this morning, and I've had a show. Constant pressure and period like cramps. Nothing you can do unfortunately but hope it comes to an end for your sister soon! 🙂

Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 17:21:28

I hope you get to crack on soon too Lottie!

Obsidian77 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:27:30

I had the same with DC1 and DC3. There's not much else she can do, she should make sure she is eating (although I'm sure the midwives will be on at her about this).
I was almost hallucinating with exhaustion by the time the wretched things little sweethearts were born.
You might be able to help her best by arranging assistance for her once the baby is born, does she have friends or family nearby you could ask to make a couple of meals for her or help with practical stuff?

Obsidian77 Wed 08-Mar-17 17:28:25

& good luck to you too Lottie

Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 17:42:50

Fortunately it's me that's out on a limb - most of the family live within a few miles of Dsis. Mum is on her way over now, and I shall be heading up for a few days when the lazy little bugger darling child finally arrives. So she is being cared for, eating etc - it's just no fun feeling that you can't help when you know someone you love is struggling. I shall be facetiming her later to offer moral support as well (at her behest, if she wanted to be left alone I'd do that too).

ElspethFlashman Wed 08-Mar-17 17:48:21

Tell her not to be shy of asking for an epidural when the time comes. Unfortunately long labours mean you're often far too knackered to do it without help. My epidural was a god send as I was cross eyed with exhaustion before I even got to 4cm, and even though the active stage wasn't too long, I was actually too weak with tiredness to even do skin to skin afterwards. (DH did it! All bare chested in the delivery room! grin )

PonderLand Wed 08-Mar-17 17:51:14

I was also in early labour for two days. I ended up going into hospital with reduced movements and had an emcs. Is your sister still experiencing movements etc? I always worry when I hear people are having long labours due to my experience!

What helped me get contractions was rocking back and forth on the end of the sofa/or on the gym ball. Baths calmed things down so I wouldn't recommend that. They made my meagre contractions stop shock I hope things get going soon!

Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 18:03:06

Oh dear ponderland. That doesn't sound good. She's been into the birthing unit a couple of times now and they're not currently worried about her, but we'll have to see how it goes. I'll see how she is when we speak later, she had her heart set on a water birth, but of course the main thing is that she and the baby are both ok. The main thing is just emotional support, I think. It's hard as she just wants it over with now!

Indiebar Wed 08-Mar-17 18:31:45

Nipple stimulation. I swear that's what got me from early labour to 3 minute contractions within an hour. BAM! It was almost an immediate change from mild to intense and DS born a few hours later. Also visualisation was useful for moving things along but it depends on the person as to whether that will help.

Spudlet Wed 08-Mar-17 19:49:15

Just got off FaceTime. She's doing so well! I think she's getting into the thick of it now so leaving her and her DH to it. I was on the gas and air by now, I'm so proud of her.

kel1493 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:43:28

It was my 1st baby. I was due on Sunday 30th August, but my lo wasn't born until Saturday 5th September, so 40+6.
I started getting mild contractions on the Tuesday afternoon. I was due a sweep on the Wednesday but declined as I wanted to see if things would progress naturally. They didn't, so I had a sweep at 3pm on the Friday. I'd been having contractions since the Tuesday afternoon, but my waters didn't break as the head was not fully engaged. After the sweep, I went to the birth centre at 8pm, was in the actual room by 9pm. I was advised to try to get my waters to break by bouncing and moving, but nothing worked, so the midwife broke them at 3am. My baby was born at 6.58am on the Saturday morning.
It was mostly exhausting as I'd been having no contractions for so long- through the night and all day.

Obsidian77 Fri 10-Mar-17 00:13:11

Hi Spudlet hope all fine withh your DSis?

Spudlet Fri 10-Mar-17 06:57:33

Thanks for asking smile She's getting there! It started and stopped a few times, she was having proper, strong contractions but they just weren't coming regularly enough to do the job (while being very painful so making rest impossible).

However, her hind waters broke so after 24 hours with no further progress, last night she went into hospital to be induced. She's currently in a pool and loving the gas and air, apparently, and doing well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now