Talk

Advanced search

If you had a really quick labour first time round, how quick was your next one? And what was your birth plan?

(15 Posts)
mickdundee Mon 06-Mar-17 13:35:01

I had a very quick labour with my first (1 and a half hours from start to finish) and I'm wondering what to expect from my next, especially as we're 40 mins from the closest hospital in non-rush hour traffic).

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience and if so how quick were any subsequent labours, and did you plan a home birth or induction because of it?

SwimmingMom Mon 06-Mar-17 13:38:42

My first was 5.5 hours which took me by surprise. Was told to expect quicker Labour the second time around. But early Labour did take 3-4 hours after which it really sped up and finished in around 8 hours. Had plenty of time to get to the hospital though I was worried like you are. Was advised home birth but I wasn't convinced. I did look at option to live close to the hospital towards my due date but did not actually do this.

McBaby Mon 06-Mar-17 14:45:54

First was under 2 hours. I had a home birth planned just in case for no 2. But you can always go to the hospital if you feel you have time or want to. Precipitous labour is apparebtly not a good enough reason to induce labour as per nice guidelines.

As it turned out I had to be induced at 38 weeks for another reason. The labour took 36 to start and when it did it was 45 minutes.

Dc3 is due in 9 weeks but again I have a planned induction for other reasons scheduled for 7 weeks time.

mickdundee Mon 06-Mar-17 16:30:59

Thank you for your responses. I suppose like everything to do with pregnancy and childbirth there's no right answer is there!

LemonBreeland Mon 06-Mar-17 16:35:21

My first was 4 hours. With the second I planned a home birth as I hadn't had time for much in the way of painkillers anyway. Second was 1 hr 45 mins and I was glad I chose a hb, 35 minutes drive in a car in hard labour would have been awful. Third was another planned hb and was 45 minutes, unfortunately they had changed the way the on call midwife team worked by then and the midwife was coming from near the hospital and didn't make it in time. DH had to deliver DD with a 999 operator talking him through it. Again I was glad to have a hb as I would not have wanted to give birth in the car on the way to hospital.

rednsparkley Mon 06-Mar-17 16:35:40

My first was just under 3hrs from 1st contraction to 'hello baby' My 2nd and 3rd were both 90 mins and my 4th was 45 mins. I had Home Deliveries for 2,3 and 4 as (a) I didn't fancy delivering in the car and (b) my labours are intense and unbroken once they start so once I went, there was no way I could go anywhere. My DH nearly delivered No2 as the midwives thought they had more time to get to me than they did grin

Chasingsquirrels Mon 06-Mar-17 16:38:22

1st. Spontaneous labour. Waters went at 37+6 22.00 hrs, contractions started 30 mins later as we arrived at hospital (20 min drive). Ds1 born 2 hours after contractions started, 37+0 00.36 hrs.

2nd. I planned a home birth!

... spontaneous labour. Waters went 36+6 23.30 hrs, we called the delivery suite to request a midwife. Contractions started 10 mins later, delivery suite returned call during first contraction and I said they better get here quickly. Ds2 born approx 15 mins after 1st contraction, based on the time of the 999 call H made after he was born @ 23.57 hrs.

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 06-Mar-17 16:39:55

First was 3hrs from first contraction to baby born.
Planned a home birth with number 2..... 10 hour labour hmm

teenybean Mon 06-Mar-17 16:40:06

My first was 5 hours start to finish, second was 4 hours start to finish, number 3 is due in 15weeks, so I'm trying to get as much ready as early as possible, as this time I need to have childcare ready to jump into action too!

Happilymarried155 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:05:39

First was 3 hours

Second was 50 min!

scrivette Fri 10-Mar-17 07:08:36

First was 4 hours, 2nd was 50 minutes!

WhirlwindHugs Fri 10-Mar-17 07:11:11

Had planned hb with second. Labour ended up being longer!

But I felt safe, you can have g&a at home (which was all I had time for in hospital with first) and I didn't give birth in the car so right choice.

Also if you need to do ring an ambulance.

Tangoandcreditcards Fri 10-Mar-17 07:14:08

First was 4 hrs. Waters broke and irregular, painful contractions from the off. Sent home from MLU 2.5hrs in as "not in active labour". Got home but came straight back in and V nearly gave birth in reception!

2nd labour. Planned home birth. Warned MWs that was likely to be quick. Totally different though. Had 12 hrs of completely painless but regular contractions from midday. At 6pm called MW and said likely to be overnight . Went to bed. Contractions got painful enough to wake me around 2am. Called the MW. She took about 45mins to arrive and caught DS2 shooting out onto the bed with her coat and scarf still on!

FifiLeBoo Fri 10-Mar-17 07:15:26

First was 7 hours start to finish, would have been quicker but he was a bit stuck and I was pushing for 2 and a half hours.

2nd I was induced and labour was 1 hour 30 minutes.

3rd I opted for a home birth, just over an hour from first contraction to delivering placenta, 2nd midwife didn't make it in time.

4th also home birth. 35 minutes from start to finish. Both midwives arrived together in time.

Decided against our originally planned 5 and 6, but had we gone ahead I'd probably have ended up delivering them myself!

crumble82 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:16:42

First was 4.5 hrs, second was 2 hrs. I wanted to get to hospital for the second but the midwife did the risk assessment for a homebirth just in case. I was told to get to hospital as soon as contractions started, which I did. Sitting in the car for 35 min at such an early stage completely stopped my labour though! Midwife did a sweep, sent me for a walk and when things started again they went quickly but at least I was already in the hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now