Talk

Advanced search

4 days postpartum... feel like I've been hit by a truck!

(11 Posts)
KateTheShrew Fri 03-Mar-17 10:56:01

I had DS2 early on Monday morning. Painful but very speedy labour - minimal blood loss, minor 2nd degree tear, and home by lunchtime - all good and a huge relief.

The last few days I've felt surprisingly physically well - only light bleeding, and not too exhausted considering new baby's (non)sleeping habits. Until last night when I just crashed. Got into bed literally shaking and shivering with exhaustion and today I feel really weak and look pale. Is this just a delayed reaction to the strain of labour and sleep deprivation? I'm only bleeding lightly and don't have a fever or pain so I don't think I have an infection or anything. Has anyone else experienced a delayed crash like this? My milk came in yesterday, don't know if that has anything to do with it? Feeling gutted as I had been congratulating myself on how well I was coping.

Anatidae Fri 03-Mar-17 10:58:56

It could be, but shaking can also be a sign of infection/blood loss. I'd call your maternity unit for a checkup just to be on the safe side. Any fever at all you need to be seen urgently.

minipie Fri 03-Mar-17 11:00:46

Sounds like when I had mastitis. I didn't get a fever with it iirc just felt like death. I would call the community midwife team or see your GP.

minipie Fri 03-Mar-17 11:01:17

PS any blockages or red patches (even slight) on your boobs ?

LapinR0se Fri 03-Mar-17 11:02:15

Congratulations on your new baby!
I felt exactly like that after my milk came in. Horrendous. Maybe see how you are in a couple of days

KateTheShrew Fri 03-Mar-17 11:06:49

Thanks for quick responses!

The shivering and shaking hasn't continued, and I do tend to shiver when I'm very tired, but I'll keep a close eye out for any fever and call my midwife if anything changes.

minipie I don't have any red patches or blockages but I was really, really engorged yesterday, although that's easing up a lot now. Midwife is coming out tomorrow anyway so I'll ask her then, although of course I'll get help today if I get worse. Right now I just feel knsckered!

KateTheShrew Fri 03-Mar-17 11:14:21

That's really interesting Lapin, I wondered if it could be connected but didn't see how exactly.

Funnyonion17 Fri 03-Mar-17 11:22:48

Don't feel bad or take it as a reflection on how your coping. Your I'll from childbirth, happens to most of us. See GP and midwife, it will pass though and feeling weak, exhausted, out of it, emotional.. well it happens to most of us after.

KateTheShrew Fri 03-Mar-17 11:58:42

Thanks Funnyonion. I don't feel bad as in guilty or anything. More just disappointed as with my first day I felt rotten immediately after, so thought I might have swerved it this time, but it seems it's just hit me a bit later. Anyway I'm cuddled up in bed feeding DS2 and dh is going to bring me lunch soon so hopefully lots of rest and food will help smile

KateTheShrew Fri 03-Mar-17 11:59:39

*first ds, not first day

Anatidae Fri 03-Mar-17 20:42:20

If the breast if very engorged some minute quantities of milk can spill into the bloodstream. The body then mounts an immune defence against the proteins and that can cause similar symptoms - it's one of the reasons mastitis makes you feel so awful.
Keep an eye on it and get help if you feel it's needed. And congratulations

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now