Talk

Advanced search

What were your first signs that labour was on its way?

(15 Posts)
MumOnTheNurseryHunt Tue 28-Feb-17 14:28:54

I'm currently waiting for baby number 2 to arrive. Speaking to other mums, a lot of them say there were signs a couple of days before they went into labour which they didn't necessarily realise at the time but in hindsight they see that it was their body telling them the time was coming. With my first I lost my mucus plug (TMI!) and also felt I had to sway and bounce on my pregnancy ball a lot. What signs did you have?

VamonosPest Tue 28-Feb-17 19:25:12

I can't remember with my first two but with my third (I gave birth last week) I had the tiniest bits of plug coming away for about 4 days and then I had a mild upset tummy on the day everything kicked off (bloody show started about 4pm, contractions 11pm).

beckslovestimmy Tue 28-Feb-17 19:33:24

I lost my plug in small bits over about a week before delivery. I also had 3 or 4 times in the last week, usually in the early hours where I thought labour was starting (very mild contractions) I'd start timing them then fall asleep! Eventually this is how labour did start but the got stronger and I didn't fall back to sleep.
Good luck flowers

Lf803 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:42:19

I did my ironing and then washed my hair before I went to bed! ( hate ironing never do it if I can avoid it and never wash my hair before bed!) grin

Lf803 Tue 28-Feb-17 19:43:50

Went into labour at 3am! Hair still looked good ha!

annlee3817 Wed 01-Mar-17 08:02:34

Every time I went to the loo that day there were flecks of blood in the toilet, sorry sounds grim but was all day, waters started going at 1am and she was here by 7.17am. I also had loads of braxton hicks.

HotDawg123 Wed 01-Mar-17 09:55:49

I had very bad dioriah
My body literally cleaned itself out before it all begun
(Sorry for TMI)

MissObsessed Wed 01-Mar-17 09:58:29

Period type pains low down and in my back which startes the day before. I also went for a walk the day before labour started even though I had bad SPD, just felt like I needed to move about for some reason.

DixieNormas Wed 01-Mar-17 10:01:21

Feeling really really ill the night before

geekaMaxima Wed 01-Mar-17 10:12:31

I found it increasingly difficult to get comfortable sitting down and felt better moving around a bit thr day before (although I was v tired). By 6pm, I was leaning over the back of a chair to read rather than sitting down in it! Waters broke shortly after midnight and had DS2 by 3am. There was no noticeable mucus plug or anything so in retrospect the signs were fairly subtle but definitely there.

For DS1, it was a fairly obvious progression of early labour contractions for about 2 days, with a huge mucus plug appearing halfway through blush Kinda hard to miss. grin

SpaceDinosaur Wed 01-Mar-17 10:15:46

The lovely lady doctor with the small hands giving me prostaglandin gel and a bloody good sweep. That was my indication! 😁

I wasn't allowed to go into spontaneous labour because I developed pre eclampsia.

Bellaposy Wed 01-Mar-17 10:22:23

I had a really upset tummy about a week before I have birth. After that I started to loose my plug and contractors started 5 days before I have birth. But the stomach bug type symptoms seemed to herald the beginning.

Squaffle Wed 01-Mar-17 13:02:47

Waters broke at home completely out of the blue, contractions every 2 mins straight away, DD born 5 hours later! I was very shocked at the time, but in hindsight I had felt much heavier that day and everything was SO much more of an effort apart from lying on the sofa eating chocolate all day

moonbeamdream Wed 01-Mar-17 17:31:58

Plug went at 1pm, thought I just laughed too hard, but called midwife as there was a little it of blood (that is what made me
Realise it was my plug). Midwife said come to birth centre at 5pm as that was the end of her shift but would wait for me, no contractions Had a shower, washed my hair and shaved my legs. Went to birth centre for 5pm to be told I was fully dialated... pushed DD2 out at 5;42pm ...

MumOnTheNurseryHunt Wed 01-Mar-17 18:40:14

Thanks everyone... I'm on sign watching alert!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now