Talk

Advanced search

Painful stitches

(10 Posts)
VamonosPest Sun 26-Feb-17 08:51:51

I gave birth on Thursday and am struggling with the pain from my stitches but I don't know if I am just underestimating how it should be. This is DC3 and it has never been this painful underneath post birth. I had 3 stitches for a 2nd degree tear and it feels as though they are getting more painful by the day. They feel so tight, I can't even sit on the toilet this morning. I have been passing urine fine with the help of my trusty jug of water but opening my bowels was pretty horrific. I was in tears for most of yesterday trying to go and TMI I finally managed it in the bath. I just couldn't go on the loo.

I spoke to the midwife yesterday who said to have a look myself and if it didn't look right go to the gp. I tried to look with a mirror but everything is so battered and swollen I can't even see the stitches! Obviously the doctors surgery is shut today anyway and I am not going to sit in the walk in centre for hours with a newborn.

I am taking paracetamol for pain relief, I was taking ibuprofen too but am panicked about the constipation effect of that so stopped.

I just wondered if anyone could please advise as to whether they felt similar and if sounds normal?

Boomies Sun 26-Feb-17 21:11:07

I wonder if you may need some laxatives to make going to the loo easier? I was a prescribed elephants dose of lactulose post grade 4 tear and aside from the fear first time it was otherwise fine and I weaned off it when I no longer needed pain relief (I was on a lot!). I know you can buy it over the counter so worth checking with your midwife if they think it's a good idea. I understand it draws water into your stool (I was told to drink at least 2litres of water a day also, eat well including things like dried apricots which help and avoid things like chocolate that can constipate) so it makes it really easy and comfortable to pass. Re: stitches definitely make a GP appointment tomorrow and get checked.

VamonosPest Mon 27-Feb-17 07:27:07

Thanks Boomies. Midwife is coming out today so I will ask her to check everything and will speak to her about laxatives too. Am in such discomfort trying to go sad

Funnyonion17 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:05:45

I've packed witch hazel cream in my hospital bag incase. I've herd it's brilliant for stitches. Could you try some? Obviously ask midwife first

VamonosPest Tue 28-Feb-17 08:59:59

I'll check with the midwife and give that a try funny, thanks.

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 28-Feb-17 09:13:37

As PP mentioned lactulose - I gave birth on Friday and I'm really suffering with bowel movements too, as I'm a bit of a mess down there also - we have an OOH chemist so luckily I bought lactulose on Sunday and finally managed to go yesterday. As it's not a laxative as such, it doesn't make you go, just softens whatever is in there waiting to come out it's also safe if breastfeeding too. Hope your stitches become more bearable soon! X

PuffTheMagicDragon1 Tue 28-Feb-17 09:37:53

Hope the midwife gave you some peace of mind, I had a 3rd degree tear 4 months ago and am probably 95% back to normal, my midwife was very good and checked the stitches when she came out. It took me a good 2 weeks for the pain and tightness to let up a bit, and walking around the supermarket for more than 15 mins was very uncomfortable for about 3 weeks after. What you describe is very similar to how I felt and just know that it will eventually get better! Get your feet up!

VamonosPest Tue 28-Feb-17 19:30:27

The midwife did thanks puff, she checked and the stitches look ok. She said everything is still quite swollen and I have quite a few piles which aren't helping. Glad to hear that you are almost back to normal.

Arewethereyet sorry to hear you are suffering too. I got some lactulose on the midwife's recommendation, I took some earlier but nothing yet. I'm still pretty scared about it, I guess I just need to get it over with.

Boomies Tue 28-Feb-17 19:50:37

Lactulose took a couple of days to take effect...think I started on 15ml 3 times a day and ended up on 30ml 3 times a day for a few days before dropping back down again. Good luck.

AreWeThereYet000 Tue 28-Feb-17 23:39:26

I just went straight in with the highest amount, twice on Sunday and managed to go Sunday I've done the same then yesterday and today, good news that everything looks fine although swollen! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now