Talk

Advanced search

TMI Alert - swollen labia after C Section

(21 Posts)
Whatapickle78 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:44:09

Bit grossed out by this so hope you can bear with me!

Had elective C Section 4 days ago and all went well though have massive swollen painful tummy (trapped wind and constipation which I know are common)!

What's really bothering me is my outer labia, which are really massively sore and three times their normal size!! Midwife looked v quickly at it on day 1 and said all looked ok, but I think it's actually got worse now than before and I'm starting to get a bit paranoid having never heard of this issue before....

Anyone else have this after C Section? What did you do? How long did it take to go down?!

Thanks

Lissette Sat 25-Feb-17 19:51:12

Might you have been swabbed with antiseptic in that area for the catheter?

Lissette Sat 25-Feb-17 19:52:01

Congrats on your new baby flowers

Lules Sat 25-Feb-17 19:56:30

I had completely forgotten about it, but yes this happened to me. Went down after a week or two.

Whatapickle78 Sat 25-Feb-17 19:59:44

Don't think it's an antiseptic reaction... have showered since plus it's external not internal lab is that are swollen and sore.

Lules - do you remember what you were told about this at the time? Is it anything to worry about? It's bloody painful!

9GreenBottles Sat 25-Feb-17 20:00:47

I had a similar thing taking codeine after a knee operation, swollen labia, hands and feet - as soon as I stopped taking it, the swelling went down. Are you taking some pain relief that you may be allergic to and it is affecting you in this way?

I hope you are able to resolve it soon flowers for you and baby

Lissette Sat 25-Feb-17 20:04:35

Sorry for you What. Hope the swelling goes soon.

Lules Sat 25-Feb-17 20:06:39

I think I was so exhausted and in pain from the section that it was just another thing to deal with. Can't remember much about what I was told other than it was ok - all my body was very swollen though. Sorry not to be more help.

Whatapickle78 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:09:23

Thanks Lissette smile
Otherwise everything went well and I've a gorgeous little DS now, just butbraken aback by the level of swelling and how painful it is!

9Green - I've been taking oral liquid morphine as the tummy pain and swelling has been so severe. However now I've been discharged today I've taken my last dose. As both codeine and morphine are similar opiates, I wonder if there is something in your theory! Did you have it confirmed by a doctor that it might be causing your swelling?

Lissette Sat 25-Feb-17 20:09:26

On another parenting site a mother said her doctor mentioned that IV fluids might do this post c section.

Lules Sat 25-Feb-17 20:10:12

Yes I think mine was caused by IV fluids too

Whatapickle78 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:11:34

Thanks Lissette - where is that thread? I was actually on IV till yesterday as had to take antibiotics for minor chest infection post surgery... hmmmm

Lissette Sat 25-Feb-17 20:17:44

community.babycenter.com/post/a23226403/vaginal_swelling_after_c-section

'Crazybaby' is the poster.

I had horrendously swollen feet - I looked like my 90 year old Nan from the knees down. Could only wear slippers!

Whatapickle78 Sat 25-Feb-17 20:20:10

Thank you!
I've also got swollen feet and legs... I look dire! More pregnantacd fat than when I was actually pregnant. Hope it all goes down soon....

9GreenBottles Sat 25-Feb-17 21:19:30

It wasn't confirmed by a doctor at the time, because it was 2-3 days after I'd been discharged when it was getting to its worst, but in discussion at an outpatient appointment subsequently, the doctor didn't seem to be terribly surprised that I'd had that reaction. My face was itchy as well as all the swelling.

Sweetheartyparty76 Sun 26-Feb-17 21:47:23

I had this too but didn't think to ask about it. The swelling went down within a week x

Whatapickle78 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:43:15

Thanks everyone.
I've actually been readmitted today as the community midwife thought the swelling (legs/feet/torso and arms now too) was worrying.
They are keeping me in for 24 hours to check it out, but so far have ruled out anything too worrying - it may just be an extreme reaction to the surgery drugs. Who knows. Really really hope it all goes down soon though as this is miserable!

Lissette Sun 26-Feb-17 22:48:19

Aw What I'm sorry to hear that but it's probably best to be monitored and your community midwife is on the ball. Poor you and your ds - back on the ward. Hopefully you'll be discharged soon. X

Eminado Sun 26-Feb-17 23:30:20

This happened to me too (readmitted for swelling) - i am so sorry. I hated every min of it. Hope your swelling goes down soon flowers

And congratulations!

Whatapickle78 Mon 27-Feb-17 12:28:21

Another update - for anyone stumbling upon this thread in a similar state!
Just been told that the swelling was most probably caused by allergic response to penicillin, which despite having written on my notes, and being on my wristband as "allergic to penicillin" I was wrongly prescribed by the hospital for a minor infection post-surgery. As it was called "Augmentin" (another name for amoxicillin (penicillin) it seems that confused the midwives giving it to me. And I did ask (thinking "I'm being a deliberately difficult patient here"...) "this is definitely not penicillin isn't it?" When it was given.

I started to go into what I realise now was early stages of anaphylactic shock, so thank goodness the community midwife spotted it when she did and sent me back to hospital. I still can't quite believe that if it wasn't for me repeatedly asking "are you SURE it wasn't the antibiotic causing the reaction?" Yesterday and today, it wouldn't have been picked up by staff. It was only when I said it to a doctor this morning that she twigged, and said it was a type of penicillin I'd been given!

Unfortunately the whole experience has just made me even more convinced that when in hospital, no matter how much you love and defend the NHS, you and your loved ones have to second guess every single thing done just in case.

And as a disclaimer - and Daily Fail journos reading this can f-off if they're looking for story fodder, as I'll happily state now the rest of care here has been fantastic, so I won't be making a complaint.

Lissette Mon 27-Feb-17 12:53:01

Oh whatapickle you poor love. As long as they don't make that mistake again - they need to get their procedures in order for the future. You need to keep your eyes peeled, don't you as mistakes do happen but, goodness, they should have been extra careful if you were allergic to Penicillin and then you should have been listened to when raising concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now