Talk

Advanced search

Quick question about lochia/first period after birth.

(10 Posts)
BonesyBones Mon 20-Feb-17 14:30:49

I had an emergency c section 5 weeks and 5 days ago. Bled heavily for 3-4 days, then as a normal period for 3 weeks, then just very light yellowish until yesterday morning. It had never completely stopped yet.

Since yesterday I have started to bleed more heavily, not as heavy as immediately after birth, but slightly more than an average period. The blood is bright red and fresh, but has no strange or bad smell, which I know is the primary sign of infection. I'm not in any pain and don't feel unwell. I haven't been overly active but have been quite stressed recently.

Does that seem normal? Could it be a period this early and without lochia stopping first? Is it likely that it has just started up again? I'd prefer to avoid a trip to the GP if it all seems normal.

MiniAlphaBravo Mon 20-Feb-17 16:37:47

Are you breastfeeding? If so less likely to be a period but it could well be if not bf.

mrsp0tts Mon 20-Feb-17 16:48:41

Have you been particularly active? Carrying heavy things? Exercise?

I was told off by the HV for doing too much too soon, I mentioned it at a check up and it turned out my bleeding was returning every time I over did things. The

mrsp0tts Mon 20-Feb-17 16:50:00

Pressed post too soon!

The answer really was to rest up, stop lugging the Hoover upstairs and dashing about here there and everywhere.

It stopped for good once I let me body rest and he's properly.

mrsp0tts Mon 20-Feb-17 16:50:25

Heel properly *

60percentofthetime Mon 20-Feb-17 16:54:34

It sounds completely normal to me. Obviously if you notice a bad smell or start passing big clots then ring triage or your GP. I bled for 7 weeks after both my babies were born, and it would come and go like you've described, being over active or stressed would make me bleed more heavily for a while.

farfarawayfromhome Mon 20-Feb-17 16:55:46

My situation was exactly as yours, c section and period 5 weeks later. It was heavier than a usual period and I panicked as I thought it was too soon and I was dying! But it calmed down after the first day or so and was a normal period.

I then rushed to get a coil put in as I was terrified of getting pregnant again 😁

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:55:52

I had quite regular 'fresh blood' after my second cs that never really came to anything and was because I 'd been doing too much, even just walking with the pushchair for too long. When I had my first period, I knew about it lets just say that!

BonesyBones Mon 20-Feb-17 16:58:01

Thanks for the replies. I'm not breastfeeding, haven't really been too active although I did start lifting the toddler again this week so I guess that could be causing it. I have my six week check on Thursday so I'll just mention it then instead of extra running around to GP.

NotTheBelleoftheBall Mon 20-Feb-17 17:02:30

I had exactly this post EMCS and not breast feeding.

Everything was fine, I read afterwards that a one off period towards the end of the lochia cycle is very normal. I then didn't have my first period proper for another eight weeks.

(And be warned, it was 'proper').

So long as you feel well, it doesn't smell worse than periods bad and your temp is normal, I wouldn't worry.

Congrats on the wee one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now