Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy recovery - does this sound OK?

(22 Posts)
Nottalotta Fri 17-Feb-17 14:33:49

Had episiotomy Saturday during the birth of massive ds2. Forceps also. The swelling is going down which has actually made it a bit more painful but it's not bad.

I've had a couple if looks with a mirror, looks OK. But when I have felt around the area, it is quite hard around the cut. Is this normal?

Realise I should probably have a look before showering rather than after when it's clean.

Also, do I get it checked at the Dr? No real mention of it!

Newbluetattoo Fri 17-Feb-17 14:39:36

It's a distant memory to me, but sounds ok, as long as the pain is not continuing to get worse. Will HV be in to see you soon? She will probably take a look at it for you, to check all is ok. Do ask if she doesn't offer.

pinguina16 Fri 17-Feb-17 14:50:35

Visiting midwives can have a look if you want. Normally unless there's a problem (puss, smelly or stitches coming undone) that's it, you just leave it heal.

I could feel mine pulling my right buttock for some time after birth. Once healed I did massage regularly (with thumb sweep and put pressure on scar tissue to soften it) and now it's fine. Got other issues but that bit went OK.

Trulyamnearanear Fri 17-Feb-17 20:01:42

The midwives offered to check mine before discharge to the hv. It wasn't feeling right (really sore in a specific point) so I went to the Dr's and got antibiotics just in case. If you're concerned get it checked out.
I'm 2 1/2 weeks pp from forceps and 10 stitches and sore as hell sad

Trulyamnearanear Fri 17-Feb-17 20:01:47

The midwives offered to check mine before discharge to the hv. It wasn't feeling right (really sore in a specific point) so I went to the Dr's and got antibiotics just in case. If you're concerned get it checked out.
I'm 2 1/2 weeks pp from forceps and 10 stitches and sore as hell sad

PotteringAlong Fri 17-Feb-17 20:03:24

I was also told that tea tree oil in the bath would help soften scar tissue and it did.

Frazzled2207 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:08:04

Congratulations

I remember this, sounds normal. For me it was worst about day 6 but then started getting better. Do ask mw to take a look next time she comes, just to reassure you.

Suzytwoshoes Fri 17-Feb-17 20:10:38

Mine felt like I had an egg down there.. really hard and swollen, stitches seemed to be there long after they should have dissolved as well, but it did heal eventually!
Congratulations on your DS flowers

Silvertap Fri 17-Feb-17 20:16:35

Witch hazel on a pad helps.

Your midwife can check it out too - I think I remember feeling a hard bit and everything is fine
Now.

mrsBeverleygoldberg Fri 17-Feb-17 20:19:27

Had one with ds1. It was bright blue and was the size and shape of an egg. The hardness will be swelling. It's going to be swollen because it's been bruised by the scissors. Shudder. I put a bag of frozen peas on it. I also had my morning wee in the bath as the stinging made me want to cry. I did clean the bath after!
Congratulations on the lovely baby!

Dilligufdarling Fri 17-Feb-17 20:19:35

Mine was worse around day 7 too.
The worst bit for me was going to the loo - doing a poo was like a second labour! If you're coping with that part ok then you're good I reckon.

Definitely remember the hard feeling. It will heal soon and soften up.

lifeisazebracrossing Fri 17-Feb-17 20:26:02

Hard feeling is normal. Mine took a while to soften as it's scar tissue. I can't remember how long it took but my DD is 7 months old and it's been fine for ages. Do your pelvic floor exercises! They promote healing too xx

ineedwine99 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:27:58

Mine was like that, had no check ups but midwife/HV always checked i felt ok and that it was healing.

IndianaMoleWoman Fri 17-Feb-17 20:30:04

Mine was hard too, I asked the midwife to check it and it was fine. She advised sitting on an inflatable ring to remove pressure and also to put pads in the freezer. I found both helpful but was still uncomfortable for a fair few weeks.

StubbleTurnips Fri 17-Feb-17 20:32:05

Sounds normal, my epistisiotomy split again when I had DS this time round - Epsom salts in a bath twice a day if you can manage it works wonders!

PerpetualStudent Fri 17-Feb-17 20:34:12

I made a midwife check mine in hosptial and my GP again at my 6 week check. Felt like a bit of an exhibitionist, but no way was I going to have stitches in my foof without someone checking them!

What you describe sounds fine though. Keep the area clean and dry, and let some air get to it if you can.

Nottalotta Fri 17-Feb-17 21:25:51

Thanks for all your replies, it's really reassuring to know the hardness is normal. And yes perpetual indeed I do want my foof stitches to be checked.

I haven't had a bath yes as feel sitting in the bath might be uncomfortable, that and the fact that it's hard to find time with an 18 month old and newborn.......

I'm showering it twice a day though to keep clean. Just water. Mercifully I haven't had any stinging.

Nottalotta Tue 21-Feb-17 03:50:16

Got my te.n day appointment tomorrow so will ask mw then but finding it quite sore now. The general swelling is gone so I'm left with the hardness around the would and the far end of the wound (furthest from the fanjo) is painful to sit on. I do feel that I am noticing this after the other swelling subsiding. It's right where I sit, ouch.

sycamore54321 Tue 21-Feb-17 04:15:09

I wasn't brave enough to touch this early on. My entire vulva was hugely swollen after my episiotomy for quite some time. When it re-opened and I had stitches after my second birth, I was advised no baths, clean with warm water only, shower the area at least once a day, expose to air for periods is practical sit on wrapped ice pack for ten minutes if very painful, definitely no additives like oils, wear only the big soft green maternity pads and avoid any thinner pads which have plastic backs and can encourage sweat. My hospital also gave out squirts bottles to fill with lukewarm water and to spray over the area after every trip to the loo. My stitches dissolved about two weeks and at that stage I felt like I had regressed pain-wise, which my doctor said was due to the wound needing to support itself once the stitches had done their job. Would this explain the new pain that you have?

If in any doubt, get a healthcare professional to examine your wound.

Nottalotta Tue 21-Feb-17 05:24:47

Thank you. I have been showering it twice a day, thoroughly, not used any products to wash. It looks OK, and feels OK until I sit down but then all my weight is on it.

Jojo13 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:36:48

I bathed in salt water twice a day, and my midwife checked a couple of times before I went over to the health visitor to check it was healing ok.
Maternity pads in the freezer was also a good tip. And they put me straight onto fybogel to ease with the dreaded 'going to the toilet'

Nottalotta Thu 23-Feb-17 21:54:25

It's much much better after a day or two of real soreness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now