Talk

Advanced search

Stressed Out At Being Pushed Towards C-Section

(15 Posts)
DinosaursArentMakeBelieve Mon 06-Feb-17 01:45:23

Hi,

Sorry in advance for the long rant but looking for advice as feel I am being pushed towards a c-section and I'm terrified at the prospect!

I'm c.38 weeks and was at the hospital in the early hours of yesterday morning as experiencing some pain and thought my waters had broken (turns out I have a potential UTI and my bladder has called it quits) blush

Anyway, my bump was measured by the midwife who said that baby was measuring at around 12lbs!!

I've had growth scans due to my BMI (35) and have always measured 2 weeks ahead (this fits with when I and my GP think I am due but not with the dating scan which shows me as due 2 weeks later)

The midwife yesterday has said that I should "quickly get my head around" having a c-section rather than the natural water birth I was hoping for as baby is too big. She said to expect a recommended C-Section following my next scan on Wednesday... I haven't slept a wink since...

Has anyone else had this experience?

How accurate is it to measure your bump?!?! I mean I'm pretty sure a sizeable portion of that is cake/ pizza from Pre-Pregnancy?

lazydog Mon 06-Feb-17 01:56:01

Measuring the bump is extremely inaccurate. I was measuring 4+ weeks ahead for the latter half of my pregnancy with ds1 (and I was only a sz 10 back then, with a huge and very defined bump) and yet he was born at 39+1 weeks and "only" weighed 8lb 1oz. I just had a huge bump because he was 99.6th centile for length and I had a lot of fluid (which had already been identified at his anomaly scan and further investigations ruled out any problematic causes for that.)

DinosaursArentMakeBelieve Mon 06-Feb-17 02:02:13

Thanks for replying. I did question the reliability of measuring the bump considering I am overweight and I hadn't heard of this method until yesterday but the midwife was adamant!

I do have a big bump, but my husband is 6ft4 and I am 5ft11 so height may be a factor... the grown scans did say it was in 99th percentile for height.

That's really put my mind at ease, thank you

Topseyt Mon 06-Feb-17 02:02:22

I didn't have that happen, but I did give birth twice vaginally and once via c-section (preterm DD3 in distress and not coming out unharmed any other way).

There were pros and cons to both I suppose but for me the c-section was the best experience of them all. Over quickly, no pain and I also recovered much more quickly than I did from my first so-called natural birth with DD1, who was also a large baby, causing me to tear badly despite an episiotomy.

I understand your fear. I would just say be open minded. The ideal outcome is a healthy mother and baby and if that needs to be by c-section then it really isn't the end of the world.

Topseyt Mon 06-Feb-17 02:06:14

Oh, and bump measurements aren't necessarily that accurate, but for me personally my scans before the birth were spot on, although I do realise that this isn't the case for everyone.

TisMeTheLadFromTheBar Mon 06-Feb-17 02:07:14

Try to stay calm so you keep your blood pressure regular (high blood pressure is reason cs might be needed). No one can make you have a cs. They can recommend it because of bmi/age/baby size etc but usually unless there is a genuine risk to you or your baby or you demand one, most mw try to encourage a vaginal birth. Ignore the mw. Talk to the Consultant and say you would like to try for a water birth but accept if things change, you may need to consider having a cs.

Ebbenmeowgi Mon 06-Feb-17 02:21:41

Bump measurements can be very inaccurate (although the midwife was spot on in estimating my dd's birth weight from a growth scan).

Following on from what Topsey said - I also hoped to have a natural home water birth but actually ended up with an emergency c section. I managed to labour for the vast majority at home with no pain relief and using the pool was fantastic. Before labour I was most fearful about having a c section above any other birth fears but have to say I absolutely loved it in the end! The staff were just great, so relaxed and supportive, and the whole process so quick, I found it a really overwhelmingly positive experience. I spent just one night in hospital and recovered really quickly too.

I really hope you get the birth you're hoping for and continue to be assertive about your choices, but do be prepared in case things don't quite go to plan!

Fabulosososo Mon 06-Feb-17 08:11:57

Bump measurements are inaccurate. Wait for your growth scan before you panic and if cs is mentioned just make sure they cover the following questions: what are the pros and cons? What are the alternatives? What if we do nothing? What is the risk we are trying to address by doing cs?

At least if they go through the above you can make an informed decision and understand the reason behind it. As others have said tho cs is often a very good experience (I have very happy memories of mine) and if a vaginal birth is likely to cause injury to you or baby a cs might really be a much better option. If your not convinced by the info they give u remember they can't force you to have a cs and you can also ask for a second opinion. It's important that u are comfortable with your decisions about your care. Good luck for wednesday

BagelDog Mon 06-Feb-17 08:20:14

Bump measurements are usually way off. The scan will give a better idea but is still an approximation. And sometimes a big baby, if in the right position with a well tucked chin, can still be a perfectly straightforward delivery. The biggest baby born last year where I work was a very straightforward birth, plenty of much smaller ones caused more trouble... if the baby is very big then intervention becomes more likely but not a dead cert, can still wait and see usually and if you go into spontaneous labour and all progresses ok then good, any issues and you and the team are all forewarned that a section may be needed, so hopefully less faffing... stay positive

Bluntness100 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:23:24

I had a c section, its fine, go with what the medical team advise, it's about you and your child being safe, that's what's important. Don't cling onto some birth fantasy on how it should be in your head, simply do what the medical team advise to ensure a safe delivery and a healthy child.

BabyHamster Mon 06-Feb-17 08:29:41

As others have said, a C Section is for the best if it's the safest option for you and the baby. I know people who've had them and found them to be a very positive experience.

Having said that, your midwife does sound pushy and quite biased towards a C Section. And bump measurements are notoriously inaccurate. So try to just keep an open mind until you have the scan and see the consultant. The questions suggested by fabuloso are good. Ask for a second opinion if you're concerned.

I had a large baby, delivered naturally with no problems. From what you've said it doesn't sound to me like a C Section is a given. It can often be more about positioning than size of the baby.

Crumbs1 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:31:41

You are not about to be offered a c section unless the risk is there. It won't be the midwifes decision. It will be the obstetrician's and yours.
Trusts try to minimise the number of c sections for funding and cost reasons. It is much more expensive to do a section and high levels of sections affect CQUIN funding from many CCGs.
I would do as midwife suggests and "get your head around" possibility - c section much more pleasant than a severe shoulder dystocia with internal manipulation and forceps. Might be that it was an inaccurate measurement but good obstetrician and experienced midwife should be able to gauge reasonably accurately after 36 weeks.

BabyHamster Mon 06-Feb-17 08:33:31

bluntness I agree the OP should do what the medical team advise following a proper assessment.

But one midwife armed only with a tape measure is not in a position to be unequivocally recommending a C Section!

scaevola Mon 06-Feb-17 08:48:33

You need to ask for an additional scan to check if there is pelvic-cranium disproportion.

That is rare, but is an indication for a C-Section as the baby is undeliverable.

If it is a close fit, then you need a proper consultation on the pros and cons of both possibilities.

Right now, all you have is a bump measurement, which is not sufficient a basis on which to decide.

DartmoorDoughnut Mon 06-Feb-17 08:55:32

I measured 4 weeks ahead and had growth scans, DS1 was apparently huge. He was a very respectable 9lb 4oz grin I ended up with a EMCS after failure to progress following induction and it was fine, had a ELCS with DS2 and if we were crazy enough to have a third I'd have another section even though the emergency one was 'better' than the scheduled one - possibly because I was off my face from gas & air already for the first so no build up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now