Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Going private with baby no 2 after PND

(11 Posts)
Ilovepeanutbuttersandwiches Fri 03-Feb-17 14:49:34

After an horrific bout of post natal depression following the birth of my first child, including two hospital stays including a mother and baby unit, I am making plans for what I could do to lessen the blow should I ever be brave enough to do it all again.

One of those plans is looking in to private healthcare for the antenatal care and the birth, an elected c section is what I am after.

Just going in to my doctor's surgery the other day to make an app with my GP to discuss getting pregnant again brought back a lot of bad memories. I may end up being too traumatised to do this again but it would be good to know my options.

Anyone on here had a similar experience? Has anyone gone private and have any recommendations?

I'm based in London.

Thanks

mimiholls Fri 03-Feb-17 15:37:30

Sorry to hear about your experience. The NHS would offer you a c section for mental health reasons. Or are there also other reasons you'd want to go private?

Ilovepeanutbuttersandwiches Fri 03-Feb-17 16:28:14

Thanks for your reply. I think my reason for looking in to private is to make the whole experience as different from last time as possible. I also feel like the NHS care I received let me down big time.

CottonSock Fri 03-Feb-17 16:34:02

I had a very different experience second time with elective c section. It was calm and relaxed and we were home 24 hours later.

I have ended up on antidepressants again for mild pnd, but they have helped immediately. It wasn't related to the birth.

Sorry you had such a tough time.

CottonSock Fri 03-Feb-17 16:35:32

And I considered private too. Just couldn't afford it.

Checkthisout Fri 03-Feb-17 16:38:09

Sorry you felt like this op. I'm 30 weeks pregnant & am having a lot of support for antenatal support.
I'd say so far, my experience is a positive one, I've been offered a lot of help.
I'd say the NHS is hit & miss & would go private if I could.

pinkcardi Fri 03-Feb-17 16:39:07

This was me (although my PND was perhaps not so severe) I felt so conflicted when I fell pregnant again.

However, as soon as I had my booking in appointment the care was excellent. I had my own midwife who did all visits at my home and who I could call anytime, I have my own HV who again comes to our house. I was able to have a c-section (which I was desperate for originally) but chose not to have it. The consultant was great and the midwives on the day so understanding. I also could have gone to a different hospital as I would have panic attacks going into the previous one.

What also helped was my DH agreeing that I could have private care if I needed or wanted it. And actually just knowing that I had the option made it ok.

I did seriously consider private and would have done it if I felt that I needed or wanted to at any point. But in the end I didn't feel the need.

This time round I have had a few low patches but it really has been an absolutely different experience. It has restored my faith in myself (I know how corny that sounds)

Good luck.

Chapsie Fri 03-Feb-17 16:41:30

Had a private midwife after horrible PND experience 10 years ago though. They cared for me antenatally and postnatal for 8 weeks. I saw my GP for occasional checkups during pregnancy and post natal check. Try south east independent midwives (SE London). I had a home birth. They would have come to hospital with me as a birth partner should that have been needed.

The very best money I have ever spent on anything. It didn't stop me becoming ill the second time but it was so much better

Ilovepeanutbuttersandwiches Fri 03-Feb-17 19:09:51

Thanks you for your replies, it is reassuring to hear of other people's similar experiences and the fact you have gone on to have more children.

Pinkcardi was your own midwife through the NHS?

Chapsi, do you know if I went with a private midwife if I could I still have a c section on NHS. From what I've read private midwives are to assist you with when you chose to have a home birth ?

Ilovepeanutbuttersandwiches Fri 03-Feb-17 19:16:46

Sorry just read where you have said they would have come to hospital with you chapsie.

pinkcardi Fri 03-Feb-17 23:40:10

Yes, all on the NHS. It's called the caseload team (in my area at least). It was so much better than my previous NHS experience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now