Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has any mum done hypnobirthing?

(30 Posts)
tayloro123 Fri 03-Feb-17 11:51:19

Any mums done hypnobirthing and found that it worked? I said on here before I had a phobia of vomit and I'm terrified so my midwife suggested it ans last night was my first class! Ino it's for child birth and not a phobia lol but my midwife said it should keep me relaxed and calm, also make the birthing processes abit more enjoyable! I suppose my real question is has anyone ever done it been totally relaxed and has a faster birth (with no vomit? Lol

BearFoxBear Fri 03-Feb-17 11:59:18

Yes, it was fantastic and I recommend it to every pregnant woman I know! I had to be induced for medical reasons and still managed to hypnobirth, calm and relaxed, for 8 hours. The consultant was stunned that I was fine and had never seen anyone take the level of syncotin on I was on without an epidural. If I can do that, so can you!

What I would say is that it takes practice - do your breathing exercises religiously and think positively. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

tayloro123 Fri 03-Feb-17 12:44:42

Thank all for the reply!! Great I hope it works for me I'm really gonna do my best to learn it!! did you read the book ?? smile

TheCaptainsCat Fri 03-Feb-17 13:33:31

Totally agree with Bear, it's amazing! I was also induced and amazed the docs with my calmness and pain threshold - it really really was so useful, and i can't recommend it highly enough!

TheCaptainsCat Fri 03-Feb-17 13:35:05

Also, I used the book and taught myself with that and an audio I got off iTunes, it worked great and was much cheaper than classes. I practiced at least once a day from about 30 weeks.

BearFoxBear Fri 03-Feb-17 13:59:32

I did a course with a hypnobirthing therapist - we were there with another couple and it worked really well for them too (and their 12lb baby!)

fruitlovingmonkey Fri 03-Feb-17 14:17:28

Yes and it worked really well. I'd recommend committing a lot of time to it. Read the book, listen to the tracks, write affirmations, write a script, etc.

Tatlerer Fri 03-Feb-17 14:24:58

Second all the posters who have said that it pays to practice as much as you can. I guess like any new skill, you get out of it what you put in. I did a course, got the book, listened to the relaxation tracks on my phone on the way to work and read/said a lot of affirmations. No vomit here smile

FatOldBag Fri 03-Feb-17 14:25:12

Ooooh what book CaptainsCat? I'm pregnant with my third and I'd give anything a go to have a better time than the last two!

TheCaptainsCat Fri 03-Feb-17 18:28:21

Fat, I used the Marie Mongan Hypnobirthing book, you can get it really cheap off Amazon, would definitely recommend, although for me listening to my hypbobirth tracks daily made most difference I think, I used one by Maggie Howell.

FatOldBag Fri 03-Feb-17 22:34:52

Thanks Captain.

soundsystem Sat 04-Feb-17 08:38:53

I used the Maggie Howell book and MP3. Both my labours were quick and (relatively!) painless, with no vomit. But, by god, the tracks you have to listen to are annoying!

herethereandeverywhere Sat 04-Feb-17 08:52:31

It didn't work for me after the first couple of hours.

But I was induced and the drug hyper stimulated me so it went from 0-crazy very quickly. With literally no gaps between contractions I couldn't remain calm and serene when there was literally no let up and people mildly panicking, injecting other stuff, quoting baby's heart rate going over 160 BPM. If this had meant a quick delivery I may have hung in there but after 9 hours of this shitstorm I was still 0 cm dilated...I vomited copiously but by that stage I wanted to die so vomit was a minor inconvenience.

I can see how it would work to give you focus/distraction/control through contractions for a normal labour though.

My advice: educate yourself about all possible birth outcomes.

soundsystem Sat 04-Feb-17 10:15:03

Oh yeah, I used the breathing for most of labour, apart from the two contractions needed to push DS out. For those ones I did yelling, rather than calm, serene breathing blush

VeryPunny Sat 04-Feb-17 10:17:41

Did fuck all for me and I practiced religiously. Left me high and dry when things went wrong. like a PP I had a very quick, very intense no break labour both times.

EElisavetaOfBelsornia Sat 04-Feb-17 12:20:49

I did it, had two great pain free deliveries. I'd differ a bit from others and say don't worry too much about visualisations and affirmations, just concentrate on the breathing techniques. Especially circular breathing for surges.

BearFoxBear Sat 04-Feb-17 15:37:25

Yes, the circular breathing is amazing.

annlee3817 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:45:49

I did it and it was brilliant for me, kept me calm and focussed. I have to be honest though, I was sick throughout the pushing stage... Someone said that you can ask for anti sickness medicine during labour?

silverfishlondon Mon 06-Feb-17 09:16:35

I brought some cds off ebay for a few quid. Listened to them to get to sleep when pregnant ! First baby i completely forgot about having them in labour but did insist my husband counted '3,2,1 relaxxx' through every contraction.. (He sounded terrified not relaxed! )

Just had my second baby and first stage of labour was honestly Not Painful! I wasnt expecting this, it just wasnt a big deal. No worse than cramps from an upset stomach. I listened to the cds and went to sleep. When it did become painful and feeling different went into hosp and was fully dilated.
I would deffinitly give hypnobirthing a go. The familiarity of listening to cds you know the words for i think helps carry you through a bit!

(After that it all went tits up, literally, and ive had 2 c sections, but labours were normal)

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 09:18:47

JuJu Sundins birth skills is excellent. I found a lot of hypnobirthing stuff airy fairy and annoying (and frankly pretty useless in labour) but I did use many of her techniques. Admittedly I ended up with an emergency c section but her techniques definitely helped me through the contractions.

silverfishlondon Mon 06-Feb-17 09:19:02

Www.freehypnobirthing.com has a recording on it ive listened to a million times

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 09:20:44

I think whether it will work for you also probably depends on your personality. I am mardy and cynical so when the hypnobirthing lady said at NCT "labour doesn't have to be painful", I just thought....how stupid. I mean look at the logistics of what's happening. How could it not be painful?

Perhaps it works better for the believers? grin

splendide Mon 06-Feb-17 11:47:01

It wasn't painful for me - I think it's a lot down to luck though.

ThisProductContainsBatteries Mon 06-Feb-17 11:49:49

You're squeezing a pineapple through your foof - don't lie!

jaggythistle Mon 06-Feb-17 11:54:44

Yes natal hypnotherapy cd.

First birth without it was emcs, had 2 subsequent vbacs. V very quick labour and I'd describe it as very intense, not actually painful. I felt amazing afterwards.

I'd do it again in a flash if we were having any more babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now