Talk

Advanced search

I have been induced unexpectedly. Need a hand hold.

(27 Posts)
Sherbert38 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:18:39

I'm currently 39 weeks with first baby and baby has been measuring on the small but healthy side for the past few months. However, following a scan today growth has stalled and the doctor has decided to induce me.
Was admitted straight away and had to wait for DH to bring across my hospital bag etc.
Feeling so unprepared and really wasn't expecting to not even be able to go home and prepare first.
Anyone else been in the same situation or had a positive induction experience?
So worried I'm going to end up here for days and have an awful labour. sad

SmallBee Fri 03-Feb-17 01:23:04

Hiya

So sorry this is happening out of the blue for you. I had a planned induction. It was very long BUT I got to read a book, have the good drugs so it was relatively pain free and being in the hospital the whole time was actually less stressful than trying to guess how long I should be waiting at home for.
Make sure you are happy about your birth plan and open to changes and you'll be ok.
Is your DH with you now? How are you feeling?

Sherbert38 Fri 03-Feb-17 01:39:22

Thank you so much SmallBee. I'm glad your experience was a positive one.
DH has just got here with my bags and they administered the Propess a while ago, although nothing seems to be happening just yet so think I'm going to be here a long time.
My birth plan has sadly gone out the window as was hoping for a far more natural birth in the birthing centre but as I'm seen as high risk now I have to stay by the labour ward.
I know it's for the best but didn't expect things would change this much in a day!
How long did your induction take in total?
I'm unsure on what pain relief to get. I am keen to avoid an epidural.

FullOfRage Fri 03-Feb-17 01:46:12

I had an unplanned induction 4 months ago. The first peasant didn't do anything but by god the second was like a rocket. My total time in labour was just over 2 hours, no help needed and no tears thankfully. Silly to say but try and relax and sleep if you can. I was only allowed gas and air due to the quickness of mine. You could try pethadine? Best of luck!

RaeSkywalker Fri 03-Feb-17 02:20:47

I had an unplanned induction 3 months ago. It went unbelievably well- pessary in at 9pm, was into active labour by 4am, gave birth at 7:40am. Had a half dose of pethedine at 1am to help me rest- no other pain relief. For me, it was a really positive experience. Really hope that yours goes well.

Joinourclub Fri 03-Feb-17 02:32:15

I've had two unplanned inductions. For both active labour was quick and the pain manageable with gas and air.
You'll be meeting your baby very soon, congratulations !

Sherbert38 Fri 03-Feb-17 04:34:46

Its so reassuring to hear some positive experiences. Have read/heard far too many bad stories!
Baby heart rate was high so they nearly took the pessary out confused All seems ok now though.
I think I will definitely give the pethidine a go when the time comes.
Thank you all so much. It has definitely put my mind at rest a little.
DH is snoozing away so hoping I can get some sleep too.

Snifftest Fri 03-Feb-17 04:58:11

Hope things are going OK. Just keep an open mind about the whole thing. The aim is a healthy mum and healthy baby and how that happens really doesn't matter. Just think, you'll meet your little squish soon!

Mentally prepare for all roads, including a c section.

And try and get some sleep. You'll need the rest.

If you don't already have them, get DH to get you some sugary drinks energy drinks or those little juice boxes with straws. You'll need them for energy and won't be allowed to eat.

starsinyourpies Fri 03-Feb-17 05:05:14

I have had two epidurals, the first during an induction. If you need it, do it, pretty sure it's the only reason I was still able to push my baby out (finally got some sleep, it was a long labour!!)

lastnightiwenttomanderley Fri 03-Feb-17 05:07:08

Hi OP.
I went into hospital for routine tests at 37w and was told less than am hour layer 'you're having this baby in the next 24 hours one way or another, we'll induce you tonight'.

Well there went my plans for spending my first week of MAT leave relaxing and eating cake...

I can totally relate to the feeling of shock and unpreparedness! My induction was kick started by the gel and didn't need anything else. Progressed at a reasonable rate but then DC had a 97th centile head and I'm about 0.9th centile size wise so I did end up with an EMCS, though that was totally unrelated to the induction.

I'd had a really relaxed water birth planned as until that point was a very low risk pregnancy so went from one extreme to the other. I did find that once my contractions started they were full on with little time between. I was having G&A but MW recommended early on that I have a low dose epidural to help me get a bit of rest. Everyone's different but, for me, it was the right call as 8hrs later I wasn't totally exhausted.

Good luck and hope you get to meet your baby soon!

Boomies Fri 03-Feb-17 05:16:21

Good luck! I just wanted to say I had the natural water/hypnobirth plan but when things didn't go to plan I had an epidural when I was 8cm. It was absolutely the best decision I made!

Kazups22 Fri 03-Feb-17 05:22:14

I was sent by midwife straight to triage with slightly raised blood pressure at 39 weeks. Turned out to be pre-eclampsia so was induced straight away. After having a lovely pregnancy I was so upset especially after hearing nothing but horror stories of inductions! Had the pessary at 5am with midwife saying i would probably be there for 48 hours and may even need a second one as its my first. Nope! Contractions began at 8am and baby flew out at 3pm! Not even half as bad as I expected. Stay positive and think about holding your beautiful baby in your arms smile

planestrains Fri 03-Feb-17 05:36:53

I ended up having to be induced as my waters broke at 36 weeks but labour hadn't properly kicked in within the 24 hours.

I had two doses of pethidine and no epidural. Pethidine was great for me as it allowed me to get some rest.

I would say don't rule anything in or out, just deal with each stage as it comes and make your decisions at that time.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine (and try and get some sleep when you can!)

Sukitakeitoff Fri 03-Feb-17 05:47:36

I was induced for the same reasons as you, but had two days' notice which gave me time to speak to my Nct teacher who was incredibly helpful and reassuring. She advised writing a new birth plan which was actually really helpful so you might want to consider that.

Key things she told me were:

Don't feel you have to lie on your back! Even if you're having constant monitoring of the baby's heartbeat you can still walk around albeit close to the machine!)

The birth positions and breathing you learned in antenatal classes still apply - don't feel you have to be flat on your back!

The pain is not necessarily worse than with a normal labour. I was OK with gas and air despite the midwife constantly offering me an epidural!

Good luck - I actually had a really positive birth experience and felt a lot more in control than I expected. And dd was indeed small, but perfect and healthy smile flowers

kippersandcurtains Fri 03-Feb-17 05:53:34

My induction was planned - and was my third dc, so a bit different. However I would say that being active really helped to ramp up labour once the gel was administered. I walked the hospital corridors for an hour and also ball-bounced. Baby arrived 7 hours after gel. G&A at the end - tens machine was wonderful from start of initial contractions.
What a couple of days you're having! But a happy ending - good luck op & believe in your body.

SandysMam Fri 03-Feb-17 05:56:10

Hope you are either resting or birthing OP! Wishing you luck, keep us updated if you can flowers

GruffaloPants Fri 03-Feb-17 06:22:29

Something similar happened to me with DC2. I went in for a check up at 36 weeks and wasn't allowed home! I hadn't even finished packing my bag.

Induction went smoothly, I didn't even need anything other than gas and air and felt amazing afterwards. I hope you have a similar experience. Good luck.

McBaby Fri 03-Feb-17 07:01:14

Unplanned ecv and induction at 38 weeks as baby had turned transverse. (It was that or an emergency c section as I was also contracting).

She was born 36 hours after first propess so not too bad as my cervix was not at all ready.

Sherbert38 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:57:30

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot.
I have managed a few hours of broken sleep, which has actually made a huge difference.
Going to take the day as it comes and keep an open mind about everything.
At the moment I have nothing more than regular period type pains which I have had on and off for the past few weeks anyway.
Cervix is very far back and not favourable. Current plan is to go for a walk and bounce on my birthing ball smile.

Tezacat Fri 03-Feb-17 08:59:37

Good luck Sherbert, hope all goes well for you today flowers

JC23 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:38:01

I was induced at 37 weeks but I did have a weeks notice to get used to the idea! It must be hard having it sprung on you but also exciting, you're going to meet your baby soon!
My induction went well, it only took 6 hours and I didn't need any pain relief. Much better than my first labour which was 30 hours! Good luck OP.

Sukitakeitoff Sun 05-Feb-17 15:26:06

Hope all went well?

Sherbert38 Tue 07-Feb-17 05:25:01

Hi suki
Baby girl finally arrived on Saturday at 3.14am weighing a healthy 6lb 8oz.
We are home and doing great.
The labour itself was not great and I was not able to have any other pain relief than gas and air. Baby got very distressed and had cord around neck so ended up with ventouse delivery and episiotomy.
Feeling very beaten up and sore but grateful to have my baby girl home and well.
Thanks for all your messages flowers

wundringnow Tue 07-Feb-17 07:09:10

Congratulations Sherbert. You did it and you're a rockstarsmile. Sorry that it wasn't an easy time, don't be afraid to talk about it and tell your story as much as you need if it helps you process.

JC23 Tue 07-Feb-17 08:42:34

Congratulations!
Hope your recovery is quick and easy smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now