Talk

Advanced search

Morphine as pain relief

(8 Posts)
MrsG2017 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:08:14

Hi All, trying to plan what pain relief to have in my birth plan. I have been put off having an epidural but wondered is morphing helpful? What pain relief did you find effective? Thanks xx

PromisesPromises Thu 02-Feb-17 20:15:57

Pethidine is it? I had that. Honestly I didn't notice a huge difference, the only good thing was it made me a bit dozy between contractions so I could rest but I was shattered too. As pain relief, not so much.

Still that's all I needed with gas and air. I didn't want an epidural so told the midwife I wanted to start at the bottom of pain relief and work my way up if I felt I needed it. Best to keep an open mind.

Good luck!

I had diamorphine. It wears off very quick, gave me a couple of hours of dozing between contractions but wore off completely after about two hours so I was back to feeling everything for the pushing. I liked it that way and it meant I didn't ask for an epidural so I do recommend it smile

unlimiteddilutingjuice Thu 02-Feb-17 20:23:01

I've had morphine twice, both times after a cs.
First time: I had kind of a bad drug experience. Very confused and circular thoughts, generally unhappy. I'd had quite a traumatic birth, a massive bleed and been separated from my baby so that may explain it. I would have prefered to be mentally sharper through it though.
Second time: Absolutely lovely. Stoned, blissed out, totally contented. I remember telling DH that the only thing that would improve the experience would be if we were listening to the Doors. grin
Absolutely no pain on either occassion. smile

Blackbird82 Thu 02-Feb-17 20:24:51

Ooh I would have loved a bit of morphine! As it was, I didn't end up having anything as it all happened rather quickly

NickyEds Fri 03-Feb-17 21:19:06

I had diamorphine with both of my labours. With ds I was having labour augmented with the drip and the diamorphine did sweet FA for the pain just made me really, really out of it in between contractions. It made it very difficult for me to make my feelings understood and still hurt like hell. With dd I think it did calm me down a bit, it was a quite quick labour and I was shitting myself. In the end it was a lovely, quick birth and I shoukd have been ready to go home more or less straight away but I started to feel dizzy and sick which was put down to the caffeinated tea they gave me (I don't react well to caffeine) and after effects of the diamorphine.

FourToTheFloor Fri 03-Feb-17 21:23:59

I had a failed epidural with dd1 so they numbed me fron the waist down. With Dd2 I had gas and air but it was a quick labour. I bloody loved the G&A!

Snifftest Sat 04-Feb-17 01:57:51

I had morphine via my spinal when I had my placenta removed. It didn't do anything but make me itch like mad. Had to take antihistamines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now