Talk

Advanced search

Evening Primrose Oil???!!!

(9 Posts)
Chloe09 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:38:45

I'm 38wks and getting impatient and extremely uncomfortable! Baby has gone down a bit but looking at some other "methods" to help things along! Tried the obvious but someone mentioned Evening Primrose Oil tablets.

Has anyone ever tried evening primrose oil to soften things up and help things get started?
I've been reading online about it, but wondering if anyone has any experiences (positive or negative)?

Kintan Thu 02-Feb-17 06:01:36

I tried Evening Primrose oil, acupuncture, reflexology, long walks, spicy food, pineapple and medjool dates. None of these things worked for me!

mellongoose Thu 02-Feb-17 06:49:32

A few drops of clary sage oil in the bath helped start my latent phase. I didn't start using it until almost 39 weeks and she was born 39.3 really quickly after a long latent phase at home. My body ramped up nicely over a few days and the painful bit only lasted 3-4 hours.

I put it down to clary sage, lots of walks and movement and probably luck. Good luck smile

StarlitTrees Thu 02-Feb-17 23:08:40

Don't do it!
All it did for me was give me diarrhoea and stomach cramps (not the kind you're hoping for)!
I kept getting excited as diarrhoea is said to be a sign that things will happen soon. And the cramps, I thought were twinges of early labour!
It wasn't until after a week I grew suspicious and stopped the EPO and suddenly my bowel symptoms went! hmm

Chloe09 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:21:27

Oh no one likes a dodgy tummy! I might give that one a miss then. hmm

I like the sound of the clary sage in my bath though so I may give that a go over the weekend!

Thanks for the tips smile

Nottalotta Fri 03-Feb-17 20:45:34

I've been drinking raspberry leaf tea and dtd when I can bring myself too. Or at least husband has done his deed......

Not gone into labour yet but cervix thinned and 2cm dilated at 39+5 and a bit more at 40.

soundsystem Sat 04-Feb-17 08:43:13

I used EPO, clary sage and drank raspberry leaf tea from around 38 weeks in both pregnancies. DD was born at 39+4 and DS at 40+5, so I'm not convinced it made a difference to getting things going!

Both very very easy labours and I was fully dilated when the midwife arrived (so no pain relief needed). I think they thin and soften the cervix, so even if they don't speed things up they might help when it gets going!

Chloe09 Sat 04-Feb-17 21:56:02

Well I've had the bath tonight, reflexology this afternoon (which they put some clary sage on my feet), raspberry leaf tea and I e been on my ball. I'm not sure they'll bring any labour on but hopefully they help soften and ease the process!

Keep us posted Nottalotta x

StarlitTrees Wed 15-Feb-17 21:06:37

Have these wonderful concoctions had any effect yet OP?
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now