Talk

Advanced search

No birth plan - help!

(8 Posts)
Nottalotta Mon 30-Jan-17 19:39:45

39+4. Ds was born by elcs so this is effectively my first. I have til 40+4 to go into labour, c section is booked.

But, I've had a few issues which have kind of taken attention away from.the birth. I have no plan, and no idea.

I've been told no water birth, induction (by syntocin) or epidural.

So, gas and air, pethidine maybe. I'd like to be as mobile as poss but will have continuous monitoring.

I hate the idea of forceps or venture, but would assume that if you are that far along and it's needed you just have to go with it?

I've read it's better to tear than have episiotomy - true? Not keen on either........

Someone help me please!

CocoLoco87 Mon 30-Jan-17 20:56:49

On the one hand a tear will heal better as the skin seems to know how to knit back together. Episiotomy's are more likely to get infected, but at least they control how much you tear IYSWIM

I'd go for morphine over pethidine. Lots of hosps don't offer pethidine anymore as it makes the baby relaxed as well as you, so labour can slow down.

At the end of the day, the midwives will give you the options when you're in labour and might recommend one for you, or you might just feel that you should have x rather than y. Go with an open mind, even if you do have preferences

smellsofelderberries Wed 01-Feb-17 03:59:53

Luckily I didn't need it, but I would have refused all options of assisted delivery and opted for a c-section. Forceps can do horrific, irreparable damage to your pelvic floor. I would also request no midwife led pushing, and an active labour position for pushing to minimise pelvic floor damage.

DoctorMonty Wed 01-Feb-17 17:14:22

Hey NottaLotta!

I'm not sure why you're not being offered an epidural if you wanted one. I don't know your exact situation, but certainly it's not routine to deny women going for a VBAC an epidural.
It sounds like you want to try and stay mobile though, which is a good idea. Worth asking if they have wireless monitors to help with this.

Re. forceps/ventouse - you're right, if it gets to a certain point caesarean isn't really possible or would be more dangerous. When you're fully dilated (in fact, when you're beyond about 7cm if I remember correctly) the benefit of a caesarean on your pelvic floor disappears, i.e. It won't save your pelvic floor to have a caesarean over a forceps at this stage. It's usually pretty clear to the doctors what is the right choice, from the position and descent of the baby.

Nottalotta Wed 01-Feb-17 19:10:42

Apparently it increases the risk of rupture? I don't think they said a definite no,more that they prefer to avoid it. Also slows labour down and can mean needing something to start it off again, which also increases scar rupture.

Jenbob13 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:01:31

Im due any day now and have no "birth plan" except, go with the flow, do what the midwife tells me, accept as much pain relief as allowed. Anything can happen. My friend spent hundreds of pounds on private hypno-birthing classes and ended up with a section anyway.

2014newme Thu 02-Feb-17 10:02:42

I would have a section.

Bex134 Sat 04-Feb-17 23:43:23

Why not think about the type of birth you want- relaxed, active, as pain free as possible etc.. this may then help you to think about what medical interventions you want.

I think most birth plans don't get followed as you have to go with what happens-but a rough idea may help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now