Talk

Advanced search

Call for moral support, please!

(12 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Sun 29-Jan-17 08:07:20

37+5 today and I've had a vicious cold and chesty cough since Thursday. Well, after getting through a pile of maternity pads with what I thought was urine and a trip to the assessment unit, it turns out my waters broke Friday evening from all the coughing! No contractions at all yet, though DD has been wriggling around this morning.

As everything else was ok, they let me go home last night, but I'm due to call in this morning to see if I should go in for an induction today. I'm not thrilled about that in itself but you do what you have to do, right? But I'm still feeling terrible from this cold (was feverish during the night but I've been feverish on and off since Thursday) and now I have aching ribs and a pulled muscle at the top of the bump, and I'm just not sure I have the energy to go through an induced labour. Does anyone have any words of advice/reasssurance for me?

HonniBee Sun 29-Jan-17 08:13:30

Sorry you're not feeling well! Colds and late pregnancy do not go together well.

To be honest if toy do go into labour today your body will take care of it. You're so pumped up in oxytocin and adrenaline the colds feeling will fade to the background. And I'm sure the midwives will look after you well.

Good luck, keep thinking about those precious cuddles with your new baby.

BabCNesbitt Sun 29-Jan-17 08:18:12

I'm just more concerned about being induced and having to deal with the intense contractions from that when I can barely get myself out of bed or breathe without coughing right now. sad You're probably right, though, labour would be a great way to distract from a cold!

amysmummy12345 Sun 29-Jan-17 08:20:57

No advice, just flowers all the best whatever happens!

UnbornMortificado Sun 29-Jan-17 08:35:36

I'd request a Caesarian but I'm not a fan of giving birth naturally. I'm not sure they could even give an epidural in such circumstances.

No advice but really hope everything goes well flowers

Gaaaah Sun 29-Jan-17 08:47:46

I'd ask for an epidural as soon as it's possible to have one. Tell the midwives how poorly you feel and firmly tell them that is the pain relief you want and your reasons.

Fwiw I've been induced before and the contractions were intense as you suspect, but labour was quick (3hrs) and it could be for you too.

McBaby Sun 29-Jan-17 08:58:33

Contractions on my induced labour were no worse than my natural labour. So it might not be as bad as you fear. I'm sure you will forget about the cold quite quickly and if your waters have broken your body must be getting ready for labour. If your waters have been gone for a few days then it's better to get the baby out.

BabCNesbitt Sun 29-Jan-17 09:03:13

Thanks, all, this is all good to hear. smile

HonniBee Sun 29-Jan-17 14:34:53

How are you doing now? Have they induced?

BabCNesbitt Thu 02-Feb-17 16:28:39

Hey! Sorry I didn't reply. They decided to induce that day because of the risk of infection, but it was a lot better than I could have imagined! I didn't enjoy being hooked up to the drips and monitors, but they increased the dose so gently that I even managed to doze shock for the first couple of hours, which made a huge difference. 5 hours after the drop was inserted, she was out (and she's gorgeous!)

amysmummy12345 Fri 03-Feb-17 09:36:40

Congratulations!! flowers enjoy your little bundle! Love those first few weeks of being in the baby bubble

HonniBee Fri 03-Feb-17 20:46:52

Fantastic news! I'm glad it went smoothly. Congratulations and enjoy your gorgeous baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now