Talk

Advanced search

A Sweep. Who had one and how long after did you go into labour.

(56 Posts)
ja9 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:10:06

Despite the fact that i have given up hope of this baby ever coming out, i am due for a sweep tomorrow and have a flicker of hope that this will set me off. However i've also heard that for many it does nothing....

how hopeful should i be?

pudding77 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:12:51

Hi ja9, I guess it varies from person to person. I had a sweep and ds was born the next evening but I had already started having a few contractions, this was just to speed it up a bit. I would say its worth a try...

Good luck!

Linnet Sun 25-Feb-07 22:14:18

I had a sweep with dd1. Had the sweep on the Tuesday at 4 days overdue, niggly pains started that evening and went on and on and on until my waters broke in the early hours of the following Sunday morning, dd1 was born 2 minutes into the Monday morning.
I refused a sweep with dd2 as I couldn't face the same thing happening again, it may not have happened like that 2nd time around but I wasn't willing to chance it personally.

My sister however had a sweep 2 days after her due date and went into labour that night so all went well for her.

I think a lot of it depends on how ready your baby is to being born.

Runninglate Sun 25-Feb-07 22:32:56

I had a sweep at 10 days overdue and the MW said my cervix was 'ready to go' and she'd see me back within 48 hours. I went in to labour the next day.

Regardless of whether they work or not, it was great for me to know how things were doing. She would have been able to tell if my cervix still had a way to go etc and whether induction was looking more likely for me.

HTH!!

generaldogsbody1 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:42:55

I had 3 sweeps with ds2, 1st was at hossi by dr who didnt have much experience, 2nd was the mw nowt happened tiny hands couldn't reach, 3rd was by a different mw and by god did i know i had a sweep lol. It felt like a bloomin' yard brush it worked though, had a huge show and i had him the next day. I think it depends who is doing it and how effective they are lol. Will be putting in a special request for my fave mw in about 5 weeks time, if needs be

franca70 Sun 25-Feb-07 22:55:48

I had one and went into labour after 1 week...

Frizbe Sun 25-Feb-07 22:57:58

Me 2 days! we had sex that evening too, just to move things along, mind you dd1 was 5 days late with no sweap and dd2 was 5 days late with one, so both exactly same timing! same labour 2

lulumama Sun 25-Feb-07 23:01:52

if it works, it will work because you would have naturally gone into labour within 24 - 48 hours..if it has not worked by then, and you go into labour, it was not the sweep that worked !

sex, nipple stim help

natural induction tips

MrsJohnCusack Sun 25-Feb-07 23:06:34

DH won't do the sex
can't face the nipple stimulation
they don't seem to offer sweeps here
I think most other theories are bolleaux
I haven't got a hope, have I?

edam Sun 25-Feb-07 23:07:42

Waters broke within hours of my sweep and labour started shortly after that, ds born the next day (at 41 weeks). Good luck!

joolsandoliver Sun 25-Feb-07 23:20:17

There is actually evidence supporting sweeps. But agree with what has already been said that is does also depend on how ready you and your baby are. I had my first sweep one day overdue and had a show the next day but nothing else. Had the second sweep 9 days over (midwife delightfully described my cervix as a floppy bag just hanging there!!) and started having mild contractions there and then, went into labour a few hours later and baby arrived the next day.

Whatever happens, try and get lots of rest now. You'll have your baby in the next few days whatever happens although it might seem like ages now. Good luck x

taniwha Mon 26-Feb-07 03:34:53

two weeks over due i got a sweep, a show that same day, contractions that night and three long days and nights later, a baby! Im dubious as to how much that was due to the sweep or just her ready to come out. but it definitly started something (show and a bit of pain)

MiaWallace Mon 26-Feb-07 07:28:14

I started having contractions a few hours after my sweep. I was 8 days late though, and think it had little to do with the sweep

usandnosleep Mon 26-Feb-07 07:54:19

I had a sweep and the midwife said she would bet she would see me at the hospital within 24 houurs............. I was induced 1 week later at 13 days late
It did give me some hope for a couple of days though, I was very p'd off by this point!

Divvy Mon 26-Feb-07 09:18:58

I had a sweep yesterday.....only I didnt really My cervix was tight shut, so it could not be done.

But on a good note I suppose just cos it was tight shut, dont means things cant change within hours.

I am so fed up now, got induction booked for Thursday 1st March.

Had a small bleed/show last night..but dont think it was anything moving in there.

T+8

I feel really down.

sleepycat Mon 26-Feb-07 09:22:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

piglet06 Mon 26-Feb-07 09:25:58

Sorry to say that I didn't have any luck with the sweep, it just didn't work for me but I know lots of people who have gone into labour the next day and had baby!!

TheBlonde Mon 26-Feb-07 09:34:12

I had one with DS, made no difference whatsoever

sockmonkey Mon 26-Feb-07 09:39:59

For DS1 it made no difference & I still had to be induced.
DS2 I had a sweep, later that afternoon I had a show, and went into labour the next day.

So, be half hopeful

ja9 Mon 26-Feb-07 09:47:55

not so promising then

am losing the will to live

IdrisTheDragon Mon 26-Feb-07 09:52:44

Had a sweep on Monday at about 2pm.

Had DD at 1:26pm on the Tuesday .

Justers Mon 26-Feb-07 09:55:40

Unfortunatley ja9 I had 3 sweeps and I ended up being induced, so they didn't make a difference for me. My lo just didn't want to be rushed.

Runninglate Mon 26-Feb-07 09:58:38

Ask the midwife to tell you how ready your cervix is before the sweep. This will give you both an idea of how successful it is going to be.

I was 2 cm dilated bfore mine, it was soft, anterior etc and I went in to labour next day.....

ja9 Mon 26-Feb-07 10:00:09

Idristhedragon - i want to be like you

MrsJohnCusack Mon 26-Feb-07 10:03:47

I'm not even going to find out - no mention of them here

crap isn't it ja9

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now