Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
This is a Premium feature
If you had Dc1 by elcs, and Dc2 was vbac....(16 Posts)
When did you go into labour?
I'm 38+6 today, same as I was when Dc1 was born. Obviously have never laboured. Still really no decision re vbac. Consultant not keen on me going overdue but surely this is likely? Given that I've not been in labour before?
39+4. I had an elcs booked at 40 weeks. I thought the same as you that having never laboured before I would go overdue and end up having a section. In the event it all happened very quickly, 4 hours from waters going to birth and only 45 mins active labour. No one was more surprised than me! Good luck.
I had my DD at 38 weeks by c-section then 13 years later DS by vaginal. I laboured for 12 hours, it was so difficult because his head would not come down.
In the end they performed a spinal block, with the idea of doing a c-section as he was getting stressed. The block must've done something though because after having it done, his head dropped and they were able to pull him out with the old kitchen tongs!
He has a very big head though to be fair, and is the top percent for large children (his dad is 6"5 so he was never going to be a small kid- he's 3 now but in 4-5 clothing already).
I have to say I'm pleased that I had both experiences, but equally, I would have been happy with another c-section if it meant him being safely delivered.
I feel I missed out on a "birth experience" because DD section was planned (breech, very little amniotic fluid) so to actually experience labour for real was...I don't know if great is the word, but I felt that I'd achieved something through it IYSWIM?
Forgot to add I was overdue by seven days with DS. Had a sweep then bam! 24 hours later labour started. Would have been induced had the sweep not worked.
I had DD1 by EMCS at 40+5 (induced but before contractions started) so never laboured either. I was convinced I would end up having another CS with DD2 as I wasn't allowed to go overdue due to various issues and my hospital won't induce for a VBAC.
DD2 arrived to my great surprise 2 weeks early in just 3.5 hours so it can happen!
My sister had her first DC around 38 weeks by ELCS. Had her second DC about 10 days late through vbac. All was fine - not sure how long labour was but was a straightforward delivery although his size was a bit of a surprise (he was 9lb 7oz whereas first DC was 6lb 4oz)
I was 40+2 and had been told that morning by a midwife that it was highly unlikely I'd go into labour anytime soon as DD2 wasn't even engaged yet. Had a good, although long and slow, labour and delivered at 40+5 although she was right on the button according to my dates!
Just been told baby is engaged, 2/5? Is this good?
I am in exactly the same position and wondering the same as you, dd1 by elcs and I'm currently 38+1 (if you go by their dates, 38+5 if you go by mine). I'm afraid I have no actual help though!
According to my friend 2/5 is good, I think I'm on 0/5. I think it means the amount the baby has dropped in your pelvis.
Dd1 was emcs with no labour at 33 weeks so 2nd pregnancy was a complete unknown towards the end. Consultant was happy for me to go to 41+5, when they would have broken my waters (but no further use of drugs to speed things up). In the end I went into labour at 41+0 and dd2 was born pretty quickly (4 hours labour). There were some helpful rcog guidelines which reassured me of the type and likelihood of issues occurring after due date - this link includes clinical and patient advice www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/gtg45/
Dd1 was 29+3, emcs with no labour.
Ds1 was 42+3 (although my waters broke at 42).
I have been told many times since that that should never have happened, and I should have been induced much earlier.
No harm done, luckily.
@trilottie I'll let you know how I get on.......
39 wks today. Booked in for a sweep at 39+5 and 40. Then c section at 40+4 if nothing happens.
I was induced when I was about 1.5 weeks over. I would have preferred to wait a bit longer but there were some possible signs of pre-eclampsia too. Induction went well. Just used drip as pessary increased risk of rupture. A few hours labouring, G&A only.
#1 @39w6d - semi-elective c/s (had been booked for 40w2d due to rising blood pressure but waters broke 3 days beforehand)
#2 @41w0d - VBAC with just G&A following a sweep the day before, section had been booked for 42w0d
#3 @40w5d - elective c/s when sweep didn't work and baby was too high for AROM. Section had been booked for 41w4d but was brought forward due to worsening SPD
Nottalotta that would be good! Best of luck. They will 'let' me go overdue by a week here and then break waters. I've got everything crossed.
Please login first.